Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
  1. #91 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post

As far as education goes, they need to teach morality, not skills. It's morals that make people yield to pedestrians and wave you through at an intersection.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Emm teaching the Chinese morals might take a while on that one.The almighty RMB is going to get in the way.I'm not saying they don't have any but it seems to me they had more ten years ago.

Look at the new powers to be putting in laws now that you have to look after your mother and father ten years ago that was a given.

2. #92 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Re: enforcement of laws.

Beijing has annouced that it has a pedestrian jay-walking campaign going on this month - get caught jay-walking, or crossing against a light, and you get a whopping 10 rmb fine. When it was started, there was a lot of publicity, with news pictures of law-breaking citizens getting their 10 rmb fines. That was 2 weeks ago.

My home in Beijing is next to a huge, busy intersection (then again, aren't they all?). Yesterday, I had to cross the street. At the intersection was a large contingent of police. I assumed, naturally, they were after the jay-walkers. I politely waited for the walk signal, only to be pushed, elbowed, scowled at, as other pedestrians were scrambling to get across against the red light, directly in front of all of the police. WTF?

Well, it turns out that yesterday, the police were after unlicensed 3-wheel utility bikes. For jay-walkers, it was business as usual.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to be a policeman in China.

3. #93 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Banned
    http://www.shanghaidaily.com has a new poll today......
    Attached Images

4. #94 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    C-Moto Regular
    My biggest gripe with the E-Bikes is that I find them to be mechanically unsafe. I've advised several coworkers against purchasing them when they want to upgrade from a bicycle but unfortunately they can't get beyond the emotion of a motorcycle being too "scary" so an E-Bike is a good "compromise".

The way I see it I'd much rather have a motorbike that can shift, has disc or drum brakes, large-diameter rims, and real tread tires than something that weighs 4-5x that of a bicycle and goes 3x as fast and is loaded out with 9" wheelbarrow rims and cantilever brakes - and not to mention is deathly silent. Of all the friends I've had that have that have crashed their ebikes it was because it was too fast, too heavy, or too unstable to control to avoid an accident. Not to mention having to ride in the bike lane.
    Instagram: #mychinamoto

Jialing JH150GY-3
    QingQi QM70ZK
    Lida LD30-3 - SOLD!

5. #95 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    http://www.shanghaidaily.com has a new poll today......
    Attached Thumbnails
    Of course the test will get harder to pass for everyone not just foreigners. In fact I'd wager that there will be pressure to make foreigners do their whole test and be unable to transfer their license at all. This is because Chinese have passed their test abroad cannot transfer their license to a Chinese one, therefore foreigners are getting an unfair advantages. Also many Chinese will think that the new test is 'hard' possibly harder than other countries, therefore they should veer on the side of caution and prevent license transfers. On the other hand some will realize that this might be bad for business, so it will be interesting to see which way the wind blows. Certainly the temporary Chinese license is at risk.

6. #96 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Banned
    Expats on motorcycles often flout law, endanger themselves, others
    Shanghai Daily | 2013-1-21

It has been almost half a year since Tuvan Murat was fined 700 yuan (US$113) for riding a motorcycle without a license on a Shanghai street. Now the 23-year-old foreign student from Turkey is getting around the city on a slower but maybe safer electric bike.

"I won't ride motorcycles anymore," Murat said. "Too dangerous."

That's no idle observation.

Riders of motorized two-wheeled vehicles are involved in an increasing number of road accidents, Shanghai traffic police said.

Such vehicles were involved in more than 345,000 traffic violation cases last year. More than 50 people - including several expats - were killed in nearly 300 moped-related mishaps. Injuries have been in the hundreds.

Most recently, a Russian student riding an LPG-powered scooter was hit and killed by a sedan in a traffic crash last Monday in the downtown district of Hongkou. Police didn't identify the rider by name.

In a much-publicized accident last year, police said a 33-year-old Frenchman on a scooter ran a red light and died in a collision with a taxi in Xuhui District.

It's a problem in a metropolis choked by traffic. Police worry that it's getting worse.

Many mopeds and scooters have been refit for bigger power. About 80 percent of mopeds and scooters get speeding violations, police said.

Many foreigners, either ignorant of the law or flouting it, don't have proper licensing to operate motorized two-wheel vehicles. But the popularity of the relatively low-cost transport is growing.

Like many other foreigners living in Shanghai, Murat chose first to buy a moped because he thought it would provide fast and fancy wheels, allowing him to weave through automobile gridlock. "I did not even know how to apply for a license when I was first fined," said Murat. "It was a lesson for me."

After his second moped was stolen, Murat bought an electric bike for about 3,000 yuan.

Sonny Huang, a British-born Chinese, said he has given up on motorcycles. "The process to be able to ride a motorcycle is too complex," Huang said.

One issue is cost. The price of getting a license plate for a motorcycle in Shanghai has soared to nearly 100,000 yuan.

Some riders just don't bother, preferring to take the chance that they won't be caught for operating an unlicensed vehicle.

"No one told me that you need a license plate for a scooter," said Kim Joe-nam, a South Korea student at a local university.

He said he had his scooter's structure refit but did not change the engine. He was fined 200 yuan by traffic police for riding an unlicensed vehicle.

Police won't issue license plates to mopeds or scooters that have been refit, but many people who buy the two-wheelers second hand don't realize they have been altered for speed.

Li Bin, a member of the traffic police squad team in Yangpu District, where a few universities are located, said the situation defies easy solution.

"Students ask us how to apply for a license and motorcycle plate here," said Li. He shakes his head and tells them that only people with Shanghai hukou, or residency permits, are allowed to obtain motorcycle licenses.

Police, Li said, advise foreigners to buy electric scooters or bikes if they need faster transport.

"I know that riding a motorcycle might be a tradition back in their home countries, but not here," he said.

Yangpu police said they first started working with the universities to provide road-safety education in 2004, when local residents began complaining about the noisy foreign students joy-riding at night.

"Some of my student friends here bought powerful mopeds," said Murat. "When they were stopped by police, they pretended they couldn't understand Chinese."

"You see, that's the problem," Li Baoyuan, a local traffic police officer, said of the communications problem. Just dropping the matter is "a handy way to deal with foreigner-related cases."

Shanghai municipal officials are aiming to remove LPG-powered mopeds and scooters from the roads by the end of this year as part of a campaign to clean up emissions pollution.

7. #97 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    One issue is cost. The price of getting a license plate for a motorcycle in Shanghai has soared to nearly 100,000 yuan.
    Motokai was just telling me yesterday that he'd heard the same thing -- 100k for a plate in Shanghai. For those of you outside China, that's US$16,000. Nice if you already bought one for half that; not so nice if you are buying one now. For the speculators among us, how much higher can they go?

Shanghai municipal officials are aiming to remove LPG-powered mopeds and scooters from the roads by the end of this year as part of a campaign to clean up emissions pollution.
    It will be a miracle if they can pull this off, though of course they could choke off sale of LPG at the few petrol stations that still offer it. I'm generally in favor of this, since the LPG bikes tend to be among the shoddiest and worst maintained bikes on the road, and many operate without plates, meaning that they tend to flee, putting everyone else at risk, when confronted by police checkpoints.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910