Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Twenty motorbike riders today where taken to hospital in my reasonable sized city and that is only up until 4.00pm the day is still young.I am told this is about average.

Will they beat a couple of months ago when forty motorcycle riders where taken to hospital in one day that includes five from the local motorcycle club.

2. #2 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    China is very densely populated instances of everything will be higher, that is what comes with high density populations.

What is a reasonable size of a city in china?
    The city your in Shihiza is 680,000 and if the accidents are in your city then 0.003% of the population was involved in a motorcycle accident in one day.

Other things have to be considered, like what percentage of the population rides?

I once heard that in Japan when a person hits a motorcycle and then claims that they did not see them they are automatically put at fault.

Your in an area of china that is less populated….the capital of Xinjiang is reasonably sized at 2,74,280, the city you reside in at 680,000 is reasonably sized as for the rest of the Chinese Eastern Coast its populations are very high…and incidents of accidents would also be high do to that.

3. #3 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    It would be very interesting to see some per capita (or per rider) stats, but I doubt they are published.

I really have no idea, aside from my own experience in China. I have passed by several MC accidents. It has appeared to me to be much more common in China than in other countries I am familiar with. Elsewhere, in my experience, it would be rare to happen across a MC accident.

I wonder what Vietnam is like? Or India?

4. #4 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    It would be very interesting to see some per capita (or per rider) stats, but I doubt they are published.

I really have no idea, aside from my own experience in China. I have passed by several MC accidents. It has appeared to me to be much more common in China than in other countries I am familiar with. Elsewhere, in my experience, it would be rare to happen across a MC accident.

I wonder what Vietnam is like? Or India?
    Maybe people here who live in China can take a tally on how many motorcycle accidents they see in there city in a week/month ?

5. #5 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    This is the kind of propaganda Chinese car drivers love, and examples can very easily be found with such a large population. A young Chinese boy only 16 dies in motorcycle accident, how terrible it is, how upset the family are. The family down the road who lost their son in a car crash isn't mentioned as banning cars what is trying to be achieved with the propaganda here. Motorcycles are dangerous, they simply must be banned....until you delve further....Boy had no training, experience or protective clothing. Was riding an illegal motorcycle stolen from Hong Kong which had been rebuilt incorrectly and had been dropped and had a bent frame. Also to save money the bike had incorrect sized cheap rear tire and a very worn to slick front tire, and the motorcycle was being ridden in the rain...

With adequate training and experience motorcycling can be very safe, of course this training is very hard to come by in China. Most good Chinese riders I have met have an aware mental state and a history of riding motocross.

6. #6 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    ZMC888 is spot on. This is nonsense on multiple levels. I'd bet that in bigdamo's town, and most any other city in China, there are more people brought into hospitals for treatment of injuries sustained in car "accidents" than in motorcycle accidents. Car drivers are endlessly mowing down pedestrians and bicyclists, and endlessly wrapping themselves in, around or under all manner of other vehicles and stationary objects, resulting in serious human carnage and property damage. But does anyone say this is cause to ban cars? Never!

Cars are for important people and the price must be paid, while motorcycles are for the poor, for farmers, for unimportant people and hence are a serious nuisance to the important people.

Such is life in the authoritarian people's republic, where the voice of reason has no place. Only propaganda holds sway.

What's more, to elaborate on ZMC888's other point about the lack of skills training: I'd wager that most of those 20 people hurt in "motorcycle" accidents in Bigdamo's town were hurt not while riding a proper motorcycle, but while riding ebikes or other substandard deathtraps with brakes in poor repair, lights not working, tires underinflated, excessively heavy or large loads, multiple passengers, etc. In my experience, actual licensed motorcyclists on legal motorbikes actually do pretty well in traffic, though they are often victimized by drivers of cars. I strongly suspect it's all these unregulated unlicensed unplated two-wheel vehicles that are involved in most of the road carnage.

But the propaganda machine lumps us all together as "motorcycles" and we'll pay the price.

cheers.
    Last edited by euphonius; 10-05-2011 at 12:49 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    This is the kind of propaganda Chinese car drivers love, and examples can very easily be found with such a large population. A young Chinese boy only 16 dies in motorcycle accident, how terrible it is, how upset the family are. The family down the road who lost their son in a car crash isn't mentioned as banning cars what is trying to be achieved with the propaganda here. Motorcycles are dangerous, they simply must be banned....until you delve further....Boy had no training, experience or protective clothing. Was riding an illegal motorcycle stolen from Hong Kong which had been rebuilt incorrectly and had been dropped and had a bent frame. Also to save money the bike had incorrect sized cheap rear tire and a very worn to slick front tire, and the motorcycle was being ridden in the rain...

With adequate training and experience motorcycling can be very safe, of course this training is very hard to come by in China. Most good Chinese riders I have met have an aware mental state and a history of riding motocross.
    No propaganda on this one.No one saying anything bad against motorcycles here nothing in the media.This is just the way it is here.

Possibly the people on here are paranoid against people taking away there right to legally ride a motorcycle in parts of China?

My sister works in the casualty dept of one of the hospitals.She told me.Her husband used to ride a motorcycle no problems now has a car(come another month motorcycles,bikes will be put away for the winter Car you can use all year).

If you think motorcycling is safe even if you have the proper training your kidding yourself.

As my friend says"It's the ones who don't see you and you don't see them that get you"

To many near misses for me luckily I am getting better in old age but I still know it's a dangerous sport/hobby.

All the training in the world is going to do you no good if the other road users don't respect/Look out for you.Doesn't matter which country your in although China is extremely bad for that.

You have an accident on a motorcycle with another vehicle and a very strong chance your going to hospital(some people just don't want to accept that fact) .Have an accident in a car with another vehicle and you are probably going to walk away.

8. #8 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Maybe people here who live in China can take a tally on how many motorcycle accidents they see in there city in a week/month ?
    We seen our first motorbike accident some time in November last year.
    That's in 3 years of being here.
    Weifang has just topped 10,000,000 people, but no idea how many bikers.
    500,000 maybe?

I am constantly amazed that we don't see several prangs every day, but we don't

Gra.

9. #9 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    China is very densely populated instances of everything will be higher, that is what comes with high density populations.

What is a reasonable size of a city in china?
    The city your in Shihiza is 680,000 and if the accidents are in your city then 0.003% of the population was involved in a motorcycle accident in one day.

Other things have to be considered, like what percentage of the population rides?

I once heard that in Japan when a person hits a motorcycle and then claims that they did not see them they are automatically put at fault.

Your in an area of china that is less populated….the capital of Xinjiang is reasonably sized at 2,74,280, the city you reside in at 680,000 is reasonably sized as for the rest of the Chinese Eastern Coast its populations are very high…and incidents of accidents would also be high do to that.
    If Sydney,Australia which has a population of around 4 million had an average of 20 motorcycle accidents a day there would be an outcry of change.There is an extremely large population of motorcycle riders in Sydney.

Those 20 motorcycle stats a day are from one hospital we have two hospitals here.

Not a day goes by when I do not see at least one automotive accident here.

I have seen 3 motorcycle accidents in a 10 days.I don't count those electric bikes.

I doubt that 680,000 people are riding motorcycles .

I have seen population stats from 550,000 to 640,000 but who's counting.Alot of people have bought units here but still reside in Urumqi for certain reasons.I'm betting they put there residence as Shihezi but don't live here for certain reasons.

Are they still legally riding motorcycles in China's eastern coast cities?
    Last edited by bigdamo; 10-04-2011 at 01:37 PM.

10. #10 two more fen ... 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diefascanda View Post
    Íîâûå ØÒÐÀÔÛ ÃÈÁÄÄ. Âñòóïÿò óæå ñîâñåì ñêîðî
    Hmmmm ... not sure I agree with those two rubles.

Again, I don't know what I don't know, and that may kill/injure me, but what I do believe is this ...

1) Many years of riding experience actually only means ONE thing ... I am older. I am no longer 20 years old ... my limbs are weaker ... my bones are more brittle ... I don't heal as quickly ... my reactions are slower ... my eyesight is poorer ... my center of gravity seems to be moving from my chest to my waist ... and there might be a few dead neurons. Slow bikes suit me just fine.

2) Many miles of riding experience has to be tempered with how those miles were accumulated. There is no comparison between 500 miles on a GL1800 (with cruise control) across interstates, and 5 miles on a dirt bike in single tracks up/down steep slopes. I always tip my helmet to skilled off-road riders - those guys/gals amaze me with their bike control skills.

3) Like a coin toss ... all prior tosses have no bearing on whether the next one lands heads or tails. Every time I get on my bike, I am flipping a coin. I can control my bike, but I can't control the thousands of other things happening around me.

4) Motorcycling is an inherently risky sport/activity. The risks can be substantially reduced by proper training, proper equipment and proper practices ... just like scuba diving and sky diving. Ever see someone jump out of an airplane with their parachute being held, all bunched up, in their arms ... saying "ah, good enough"? Ever see a scuba diver go down with a faulty air hose ... saying "ah, no problem, it'll be fine"? Ever see a motorcyclist get on a bike without a helmet?

5) During my first year of riding in China, I had more close calls than my prior decades of riding experience. I've necessarily developed a passive/aggressive style of riding in China, where I am always trying to keep my distance from traffic/people/animals/road hazards. If I rode back home how I ride here, well, I'd probably be under a lifetime ban by now.

Despite the risks, it sure beats sitting in a crowded bus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast