Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Twenty motorbike riders today where taken to hospital in my reasonable sized city and that is only up until 4.00pm the day is still young.I am told this is about average.

Will they beat a couple of months ago when forty motorcycle riders where taken to hospital in one day that includes five from the local motorcycle club.

2. #2 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    China is very densely populated instances of everything will be higher, that is what comes with high density populations.

What is a reasonable size of a city in china?
    The city your in Shihiza is 680,000 and if the accidents are in your city then 0.003% of the population was involved in a motorcycle accident in one day.

Other things have to be considered, like what percentage of the population rides?

I once heard that in Japan when a person hits a motorcycle and then claims that they did not see them they are automatically put at fault.

Your in an area of china that is less populated….the capital of Xinjiang is reasonably sized at 2,74,280, the city you reside in at 680,000 is reasonably sized as for the rest of the Chinese Eastern Coast its populations are very high…and incidents of accidents would also be high do to that.

3. #3 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    It would be very interesting to see some per capita (or per rider) stats, but I doubt they are published.

I really have no idea, aside from my own experience in China. I have passed by several MC accidents. It has appeared to me to be much more common in China than in other countries I am familiar with. Elsewhere, in my experience, it would be rare to happen across a MC accident.

I wonder what Vietnam is like? Or India?

4. #4 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    China is very densely populated instances of everything will be higher, that is what comes with high density populations.

What is a reasonable size of a city in china?
    The city your in Shihiza is 680,000 and if the accidents are in your city then 0.003% of the population was involved in a motorcycle accident in one day.

Other things have to be considered, like what percentage of the population rides?

I once heard that in Japan when a person hits a motorcycle and then claims that they did not see them they are automatically put at fault.

Your in an area of china that is less populated….the capital of Xinjiang is reasonably sized at 2,74,280, the city you reside in at 680,000 is reasonably sized as for the rest of the Chinese Eastern Coast its populations are very high…and incidents of accidents would also be high do to that.
    If Sydney,Australia which has a population of around 4 million had an average of 20 motorcycle accidents a day there would be an outcry of change.There is an extremely large population of motorcycle riders in Sydney.

Those 20 motorcycle stats a day are from one hospital we have two hospitals here.

Not a day goes by when I do not see at least one automotive accident here.

I have seen 3 motorcycle accidents in a 10 days.I don't count those electric bikes.

I doubt that 680,000 people are riding motorcycles .

I have seen population stats from 550,000 to 640,000 but who's counting.Alot of people have bought units here but still reside in Urumqi for certain reasons.I'm betting they put there residence as Shihezi but don't live here for certain reasons.

Are they still legally riding motorcycles in China's eastern coast cities?
    Last edited by bigdamo; 10-04-2011 at 01:37 PM.

5. #5 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    It would be very interesting to see some per capita (or per rider) stats, but I doubt they are published.

I really have no idea, aside from my own experience in China. I have passed by several MC accidents. It has appeared to me to be much more common in China than in other countries I am familiar with. Elsewhere, in my experience, it would be rare to happen across a MC accident.

I wonder what Vietnam is like? Or India?
    Maybe people here who live in China can take a tally on how many motorcycle accidents they see in there city in a week/month ?

6. #6 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    This is the kind of propaganda Chinese car drivers love, and examples can very easily be found with such a large population. A young Chinese boy only 16 dies in motorcycle accident, how terrible it is, how upset the family are. The family down the road who lost their son in a car crash isn't mentioned as banning cars what is trying to be achieved with the propaganda here. Motorcycles are dangerous, they simply must be banned....until you delve further....Boy had no training, experience or protective clothing. Was riding an illegal motorcycle stolen from Hong Kong which had been rebuilt incorrectly and had been dropped and had a bent frame. Also to save money the bike had incorrect sized cheap rear tire and a very worn to slick front tire, and the motorcycle was being ridden in the rain...

With adequate training and experience motorcycling can be very safe, of course this training is very hard to come by in China. Most good Chinese riders I have met have an aware mental state and a history of riding motocross.

7. #7 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    ZMC888 is spot on. This is nonsense on multiple levels. I'd bet that in bigdamo's town, and most any other city in China, there are more people brought into hospitals for treatment of injuries sustained in car "accidents" than in motorcycle accidents. Car drivers are endlessly mowing down pedestrians and bicyclists, and endlessly wrapping themselves in, around or under all manner of other vehicles and stationary objects, resulting in serious human carnage and property damage. But does anyone say this is cause to ban cars? Never!

Cars are for important people and the price must be paid, while motorcycles are for the poor, for farmers, for unimportant people and hence are a serious nuisance to the important people.

Such is life in the authoritarian people's republic, where the voice of reason has no place. Only propaganda holds sway.

What's more, to elaborate on ZMC888's other point about the lack of skills training: I'd wager that most of those 20 people hurt in "motorcycle" accidents in Bigdamo's town were hurt not while riding a proper motorcycle, but while riding ebikes or other substandard deathtraps with brakes in poor repair, lights not working, tires underinflated, excessively heavy or large loads, multiple passengers, etc. In my experience, actual licensed motorcyclists on legal motorbikes actually do pretty well in traffic, though they are often victimized by drivers of cars. I strongly suspect it's all these unregulated unlicensed unplated two-wheel vehicles that are involved in most of the road carnage.

But the propaganda machine lumps us all together as "motorcycles" and we'll pay the price.

cheers.
    Last edited by euphonius; 10-05-2011 at 12:49 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

8. #8 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I think you're missing the point that while most Chinese drive equally stupidly in cars and motorcycles, a motorcycle accident is much dangerous than a car accident.
    I totally agree on the propaganda issue though, and it's not like it's taking much to convince Chinese that motorcycles are for poor farmers only.. they already believe that.

9. #9 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    ...a motorcycle accident is much dangerous than a car accident....
    Unless you are the pedestrian or bicyclist or motorcyclist who is hit by the errant, stupidly driven car. These things don't often happen in a vacuum, but in terms of public safety, not just rider safety, cars probably cause tens or hundreds of times more road carnage than motorcycles do.

When you got slaboed, was that because "motorcycles are dangerous"? No, it was because a stupid girl climbed over a barrier that was supposed to have stopped her, and ran into your path. How about banning stupid girls, or barriers that are too low to be effective....

Better yet, how about banning drivers who lack skills and responsibility to drive, whether on a bike or in a car or a bus or truck?

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #10 Re: Here is a reason why motorcycles are barred from most cities 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    It took a long time for the authorities back home to educate the public about rider safety and instill rider education programs.

Getting my motorcycle DL in the early 70s was a two minute display through four cones on a 90cc at 0900 one morning. By 1000, I left the DMV office with my license and by the afternoon I was on my shiny new Kawasaki two-stroke 400cc doing wheelies and burn-outs. A "buddy" was my teacher because he'd been riding for a whopping 3 months.

Within a few weeks, the 400cc twin was too sissy, so I upgraded to the Kawa two-stroke 750cc triple (aka, the widow-maker). Then a couple of months later, the Kawasaki Z1 super bike. And so on, and so on. The only possible reason I survived being an idiot-teenager was because someone upstairs was watching out for me. Not the case with a few buddies, including my "teacher."

Move ahead four decades, and to get a MC license back home now ... mandatory classes, graduated licensing over two years (cc restrictions, no passengers, maximum speed, no night riding, zero tolerance for infractions), and very strict enforcement of traffic laws for motorcycles. Plating a bike also requires annual mechanical safety inspections.

I think that it will take a long time in China to move in that direction, but it will happen. Already I've started to notice a HUGE difference with the Harley riders who are members of the Harley Owners Group (H.O.G.), versus Harley riders who think they know it all. No one knows what they don't know ... and that is what kills them.

HOG instills rider training & safety from the beginning. Maybe it is a bit of self-selection happening here - people who pay the price for a legal bike, with a legal plate, and attend riding classes/events ... versus ... someone picking up an illegal cruiser and hopping on, probably without a DL, and certainly with a fake plate (no insurance).

I wish someone would organize proper training for the average Joe. Aside from the obvious need, it would help our position. We are our own worst enemies by not advocating proper rider education and proper rider safety.

The preceding posts are definitely accurate - it is likely the yokels that get into crashes, but we are all getting lumped into the same statistical pile.

grrrrrr - OK, off my pedestal. Damn, I've become just like my parents.
    Last edited by Lao Jia Hou; 10-05-2011 at 12:43 AM. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast