Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 excellent advice column 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I think this item is self-explanatory.

why-men-shouldnt-write-advice-columns-big.jpg
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #2 Re: excellent advice column 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    What am I missing???

It seems to me that John's diagnosis & suggestions are valid. My vote is a vacuum leak, as there appears to have been "pumping".

3. #3 Re: excellent advice column 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I'm thinking the mystery is even deeper. Note that she says, "My car stalled and then it broke down about a mile down the road." (Emphasis added.) Now seriously, this just doesn't add up. If it stalled, how did she manage to get a further mile down the road before the car "broke down"? I'm generally a trusting soul, but this Sheila clearly is embroidering this story from whole cloth. Obviously has something to hide.

Imagine! Trying to pin her perfidies and deceit on her car! Frankly, I wouldn't trust this "Sheila" farther than I could throw her...
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: excellent advice column 
    so i guess that means the neighbours daughter is looking for a new boyfriend?

5. #5 Re: excellent advice column 
    lol just read this and had to say that my wuling honda done the stalling bit last night in the rain,as i had accelerated to 85 kph it the just died, after many attempts in the pouring rain it did not start, so i resided to push it home trying once or twice on the way,well no it didnt start,seems like no petrol, but i had ust filled the tank up and only done 150 kilometres, enough in the tank to get me home again and back to the place it stalled.

So after 20 mins of pushing not wanting to try again incase of battery failure also I TRIED Vroom it started woohoo, jumped on done 10 kilometers and it died on me again this time no accelaration, just took it up slowly to 40 kph, tried again to start it , no it wouldnt go so i pumped the throttle a few times , after 10 mins it started,so i made my way home, only 20 kilometers away to go and it died again this time i was only doing about 20kph through the town, 30 mins past this time before i could get it started, just dont know whats wrong, so parked it up overnight and looked at it today while its warm and not raining but could not see anything wrong, it has a sealed carb by the looks of it, can only adjust the idle,

Well have to out tonight on it so hope the rain stays off and i can find out if the rain had any bearing on it...........but the womans car was only a short distance from her house, she could have pushed it home insead of rlying on the MAN to fix it (equality eh)lol.....:)

6. #6 Re: excellent advice column 
    I'm surprised there are not more cars breaking down on the road.. I mean.. when my wife drives my 4x4 I want to break down.. It's unmitigated cruelty. She has her own car but does insist on keep driving into things...