Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Nanjing Motorcycle shops? Any hot tips? New or 2nd hand. 
    G'day bretheran.
    I've been researching 2nd hand/transfer motorbikes using website, 58.com
    (Second-hand motorcycle Channel 58 city)
    I'm actually in Yangzhou, wanted a YBR250 but the local shops no longer stock.
    Felix's old XTR250 looked like a good option, but new C3 emissions render them no longer able to be registered.
    Pretty much only scooters available 2nd hand here, and they are like fat chicks...
    Fun to ride, but you dont want your friends finding out

Nanjing seems to be a better bet. There was quite a few bikes listed in Nanjing that caught my interest. Temples was a reoccurring location entry??

Can anyone enlighten me on where in Nanjing I would be able to procure my first C-bike??? Much appreciated.

2. #2 Re: Nanjing Motorcycle shops? Any hot tips? New or 2nd hand. 
    Howdy,

I live in Nanjing and had to get my CJ750 in Hefei and my JH600 directly from the factory. I now know of a great honest mechanic for the CJ's that could help get you one of those but registration has to be outside of Nanjing and not completely sure of status since it has been 4 years. I had no serious issue with the JH600 to register with Nanjing A plates but my wife had to yell at a few bureaucrats profusely as they had not seen one before. I am not sure you want/need Nanjing A plates and if you decide to order a JH600 directly, there are lots of people who can help here and I can also probably help you as my wife is local and she ran the gauntlet once before for me.

My colleague bought and registered a Honda SDH150 here in Nanjing early this year and got it registered no problem with Nanjing A plates. It has been a pretty good bike for him. He is a fellow Texan but was born and raised in Hong Kong so he has no language issues. I would be happy to give you his contact info via PM if you want to know how he did the Honda. I know it was done thru a local dealer without too much above normal stress.
    Honda link:
    http://www.honda-motorcycle.com.cn/d...0-150a_zy.html
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

3. #3 Re: Nanjing Motorcycle shops? Any hot tips? New or 2nd hand. 
    Thanks Aggie. Perhaps Nanjing is in fact 3 bridges too far from relatively congestion free Yangzhou.
    Appreciate the information, and offer of assistance. The Honda 150cc is a little small for my liking.
    My wife checked online last night the law of the lands here. She says as long as I have my Motorcycle license,
    if I am pounced on by local authorities, the fine should only be 200RMB, per instance off course!
    I want at least 250cc underneath me. Her mother has a scooter unregistered, but bearing a fake license plate.
    Nor is her mother licensed, but she only gets about in her home town, where they are friends with the local police.
    I am still procrastinating whether to go dual sport style, or return to my full dirt bike roots. Possibly even go up to a 450cc.
    License plates for Yangzhou should only be about 1500RMB, for 6-10 years!
    I plan to meet up with Cmoto member Zhu for a beer and chat tomorrow night.
    Before this week is over I will also make my way out to Yi Zheng's Galaxy dealer, just to have a look see, check prices.
    (Even if they are not really register-able!)

Hold up, just having a look at JH600 pics now, nice!! I assumed it was more cruiser style, Thats what I get for assuming!
    Have to fight through Ebike chaos now to pick up the wife from work, I will have a better look into the JH600 later tonight.
    Cheers again for your time!!

4. #4 Re: Nanjing Motorcycle shops? Any hot tips? New or 2nd hand. 
    Good luck with all that, and if you do make it out to the galaxy dealer, tell them xiao fei, the laowai from suzhou, says hello!

5. #5 Re: Nanjing Motorcycle shops? Any hot tips? New or 2nd hand. 
    There is not much over 250cc other than the JH600 and my only word of caution to you is be careful to be legally insured. You are the foreigner and if you hit a bicycle or pedestrian, you want to be legal otherwise it will cost you in more ways than just money. The Jiangsu Gray Bar Inn does not look like fun to me. That being said, you are in a good location to ride. The big cities are a pain.

I have to tell you the European model of the JH600 I have has pretty good suspension for off road if you are tall enough. I am former motocross and enduro racer who did Baja 3 times. The JH600 is heavy but is pretty good for the money for China roads and trails. I loaded up with German rear shock cause I am 6'3" and now weigh 280lbs or 127kg. A bit over the average! (I will soon go to UK "Stone" as it sounds even better than kg)

Good luck
    DT

6. #6 Re: Nanjing Motorcycle shops? Any hot tips? New or 2nd hand. 
    Damn it, had this reply nearly finished, and lost it all!! Here is my 2nd revision...

Felix, I will definitely pass on your greetings to Yang min min, I have made first contact and will go see him before the weekend!
    If I may be as bold as to ask, how much did you end up selling your XTR250 for?

Aggie/DT; I had a proper scan of this site and furthered my research into the JH600.
    A very nice looking bike, and quite capable also! I am just under 6 foot, and only 80kgs or so. The weight scares me a little.
    I have fond memories of exhausting myself trying to extract the XR400 out of some sticky mud pits!!
    And also price point will also be a factor, JH600 is just under 30K RMB? plus as you mentioned upgrades budget allowance.
    The Yamaha Sword King 250cc new at around 22K was pretty much my upper price threshold. (Well mostly mine, my wife's also;)
    Also I am becoming painfully aware of the vast price differential between 125cc, 250cc, and above sized bikes!!
    Wow, Baja 3 times, I am in awe and envy, that is some serious riding!! (Of which I have only seen on TV) Respect!

I also respect your advice on the legal side of things;
    TIC and I am a stranger in a strange land. A lowai can only get away with so much!
    I am having a hard enough time avoiding the 'day walkers', and 'ghost riders' (Pedestrians and Ebikes with a death wish!) while driving our Reiz around town!
    I am a natural defensive, give way kinda driver coming from Sydney, really on a steep learning curve dealing with the pretty much exact opposite driving style here!
    So if Yangzhou authorities will only give me a license plate and insurance for up to a 250cc, I do want to be legal, I will have to compromise.
    A mate in Sydney gave me a ride of his Honda CRF450R, scared the be-jesus out of me! Compared to the tractor like power curve of the XR400!
    He was only a small guy also, but he had been riding since he was knee high to a grasshopper!

So perhaps a water cooled 250cc 4stroke Enduro style bike would be reasonably close to what I was accustomed to power wise on the XR400? Would you agree?
    The XTR250 would have been my obvious choice, but Felix advised the new C3 emission rules pretty much cancel that option out.
    I will still go and have a look see at Yi Zheng Galaxy dealer Yang min min's offerings before the weekend.
    Hopefully I can come across a 2nd hand transfer bike that is already registered? and has a motivated seller

Thank again for your input. Much appreciated.
    Cheers and beers, Murrance.

7. #7 Re: Nanjing Motorcycle shops? Any hot tips? New or 2nd hand. 
    Hi, i sold it for 6500 kuai with 20000km on the clock, 2 sets of wheels and other extra stuff.

8. #8 Re: Nanjing Motorcycle shops? Any hot tips? New or 2nd hand. 
    Murrance,

"So perhaps a water cooled 250cc 4stroke Enduro style bike would be reasonably close to what I was accustomed to power wise on the XR400? Would you agree?
    The XTR250 would have been my obvious choice, but Felix advised the new C3 emission rules pretty much cancel that option out.
    I will still go and have a look see at Yi Zheng Galaxy dealer Yang min min's offerings before the weekend.
    Hopefully I can come across a 2nd hand transfer bike that is already registered? and has a motivated seller "

While there is no substitute for more Cubic Centimeters, I am betting you would have a lot of fun with a 250cc 4 stroke with you weight. It is not going to be the same as a 400 but there is not a valid 400 available in China yet anyway.

Regarding my Baja racing experiences, I only said I did it, I never claimed to trophy. I was an alternate rider for our team in 1993 when we took 5th in our class but I only preran the race course and then did race support driving during the actual race. I always was happy to simply finish my sections of the course in one piece. I do have some good crash trophies that proved that harder than it sounds. My signature photo here was my last sanctioned race I actually participated in. It was the 1996 Elsinore Grand Prix and was the first year they started it back up. I was there right after the Baja race that year and actually raced Elsinore with cracked ribs from a crash in Matomi Wash of Baja the week before. I was not very competitive but I refused to miss that race so I taped up the ribs and had fun. The point is I was never very fast and crashed a lot. That and the fact that I have been over 250lbs since college made my motocross, desert, and enduro racing simply a fun thing to do, not really something for me to brag about. Especially since I rarely excelled enough to win anything. So no need to be in any awe or envy. You could do the same thing if you want and most probably ride better than I did. I only brought it up to tell you I understood your opinion of bike types. You have off road riding in you and that is different from some of these guys who wheelie down the expressway while weaving in and out of traffic on a crotch rocket. I have no issue with those guys, it is just not the same type of riding I like and I suspected you are like me from your earlier posts so I wanted you to know I had the off road bug too and understood what you meant.

Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way although I suspect there are a bunch of guys here that will be much more useful to you.
    DT

9. #9 Re: Nanjing Motorcycle shops? Any hot tips? New or 2nd hand. 
    Still some respectable riding and life experience in my view. Do not sell yourself to short.
    BTW, Even with the R6 commuting back in Sydney, the front wheel only ever lifted up no more than one foot!
    And that was only a couple of times, by accident, simply trying to get a jump on the traffic and put some space between me and the larger vehicles.
    Although a few times on the nice new freeway called the M7 I did get her up to about 180kmh, but always knew things can happen way too quickly;
    and those death wish speed bursts were only ever for a couple of minutes.

Even the XR400 never had just the front wheel off the ground, jumps are a different story!
    It is a good feeling to have good suspension, enough torque, and confidence to put some air between your bike and the ground.
    Nothing even close to Krusty demons style big show time exhibition jumps, just enough to be happy, and stay healthy!

Final point, I did manage to meet up with member Zhu here in Yangzhou for a few drinks last night.
    Apart from me having to be his B1tch pillion passenger on his Ebike for under a kilometer, I had an awesome night! And also gained much local knowledge from him. Like myself, he is a bit of a "The last boyscout." Be prepared! Fail to plan, plan to fail kind of guy.

P.S. Anyone else, before you chime in, Wo zhidao I am off topic. Noobs do that