Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Monster Adrenaline! :D 
    C-Moto Noob
    thanks buddy! i found some on ebay for 40 quid! :)

2. #12 Re: Monster Adrenaline! :D 
    £40 for handguards thats pretty steep im running polisports on mine much cheaper, look better and good quality as they were standard for my bike

3. #13 Re: Monster Adrenaline! :D 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I paid US$80 online for my Acerbis hand guards. Please note that these have a strong aluminum (aluminium to you) spine that connects at two points: the bar end and inside the lever mounts. This protects your levers when the bike is dropped. From what I can see online, the Polisports that you mention will block wind, but surely will snap off (along with your levers) if (when) you drop your bike or crash. To call the Acerbis guards a "hand guard" is a misnomer; they do protect your hands from brush and wind, but far more importantly they protect your levers in a fall.

Believe me, you don't want to be stuck in the wild with a broken clutch lever.

My KLR650 clutch cable snapped (due to corrosion and age) during a ride on Saturday, and I had to drive 40 miles to get to a shop where I could get it repaired, and that ride included probably 20 stop lights and about 15 miles in manic 80mph traffic on I-80, one of California's craziest corridors. Yes, a motorcycle can be ridden without using the clutch but it's not easy, especially the starting, and the keeping the bike running when you are forced to stop. You'll hope all the stop lights are at the top of hills!

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #14 Re: Monster Adrenaline! :D 
    how hard a fall are you suggesting iv dropped my bike before no damage what so ever handguard survived perfectly not even a scuff on the outside of it only evidence of a drop was the side stand had a light scuff, but i am tempted to get a Zeta full wrap around and also fit weighted bar ends to reduce vibration

5. #15 Re: Monster Adrenaline! :D 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Kennon,

No worries! If it works for you, it's all good! It may be that your levers are positioned in such a way as to not be vulnerable. I dropped my KLR once when I stopped to take a piss, and -- plink! -- the clutch lever was gone. Fortunately I was within about 5 km of a supply shop that had my size.

As for bar end weights, as it happens, a handguard with a stiff metal spine already adds more weight to the bar end than does a bar end weight, and also adds rigidity because of the two-point mounting, so you kill two birds with one stone. Try a metal-spined guard first without the additional weights and see if that helps.

If this is the Zeta model you are talking about, you can see it's very much the same concept as the Acerbis, and definitely will give you better lever safety in a getoff or drop than a hand guard that's mounted only on one end.

Ride safely!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #16 Re: Monster Adrenaline! :D 
    i was looking at the same style but not the carbon ones i am a poor university student now should probably cut down on nights out but thats hardly going to happen soon i was looking at the impact handguard or the X1, i have seen some zeta handguards that incorperate a flip out mirror which would tidy up a few things but for the time being im going to stick with polisports perhaps next summer when im back on my bike properly i will get annoyed with the prolonged vibrations but it hasnt been too bad so far, perhaps when i get some new grips while im at it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12