Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 New in this forum, but not driving :) 
    C-Moto Noob
    After 1.5 years driving in Shanghai I just found this forum.. I have to thanks to all people in here because you guys solve a lot of questions that I had.
    But I still having some and I hope someone can help me.

Im gonna introduce myself and my baby (motorbike)
    My name is Kike, from Spain and I´ve been leaving in Shanghai for almost 2 years now.
    I started driving with a Madass but after 5 months I decided to get something bigger so I sold that one and bought a CBR 250 RR (currently driving), no fapiao, no plates. And now Im selling it( you can find my add at enjoyshanghai.com,cityweekend or craiglist ) because I wanna find something bigger as a Honda VFR 750 ´95 or something similar.

The first question I wanna ask is if you guys meet sometimes in shanghai to have a beer or a coffee and talk about mortorbikes, nice routes, trips... because I will be very glad to meet some people that have the same passion as I have.

The second question is about bikes ;
    Imagine that you have a motorbike, like 600 cc with plates from another city. Can the policeman take ur motorbike?? or u just need to pay a fine?

Thanks and hopefully meet you guys soon!!

2. #2 Re: New in this forum, but not driving :) 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by enaggi View Post
    Imagine that you have a motorbike, like 600 cc with plates from another city. Can the policeman take ur motorbike?? or u just need to pay a fine?
    Yes and yes.

My 400cc Jiangsu H (sigh) bike got impounded by the cops for being driven on a road in Pudong marked "no motorcycles". Paid the fine and got it back. This was over two years ago though, and nothing similar has happened to me since.

Saw your bike posted a couple days ago. Can you give us some info on it? How old is it? Where'd you get it? Looks pretty sweet.

3. #3 Re: New in this forum, but not driving :) 
    The police can take the fun away quick. But if it was a 600cc, you were likely outrun police 9.5 out of 10.
    The problem is serious unexpected accident, you'd better dump the bike and flee the scene. If that's what you wanted
    同志仍需努力

4. #4 Re: New in this forum, but not driving :) 
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    The problem is serious unexpected accident, you'd better dump the bike and flee the scene. If that's what you wanted
    I hope that's just a bad joke

5. #5 Re: New in this forum, but not driving :) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Enaggi, Greetings and welcome to the forum.

Lots of people are riding around Shanghai on bikes with plates from other provinces (both legit and fake), but there are risks -- especially inside the inner ring, where they are not permitted. If are stopped on a street where you are not allowed, but your plates are legit and you have the proper registration, license and insurance, you should be able to talk your way out of it with a 200 rmb fine on the spot. But there are no guarantees. In the current (fully justified, IMHO) climate of intense police hostility toward unregistered bikes and unlicensed drivers, it's probably not a great strategy to be riding a non-Shanghai plated bike.

That leaves two (legal) options, the 沪A at 50k+ rmb or 沪C for maybe 7k. The former gives you legal access to all of Shanghai except the gaojia and a few major arteries (Yan'an Lu, just ask Corporal_Clegg, and the Changshou Lu/Changning Lu corridor, for example), while the latter gives you unhindered access to much of Shanghai outside the Inner Ring (i.e., downtown). Lots and lots of 沪C bikes ride inside the Ring, with little worry about getting fined or confiscated.

But that may have changed in the current crackdown.

Fake plates will get you by for purchasing petrol, but I suspect they will get you in a heap of trouble if you are caught at a police checkpoint, and the punishment could include 15 days of jail, suspension or revocation of your license (assuming you have a legal one), very heavy fines and possibly deportation. So on fake plates you'll have a natural tendency to want to flee these checkpoints, which obviously significantly escalates your culpability if you are caught, placing you at far greater risk for heavy consequences.

I recently ran a stop light in a totally empty intersection in downtown Shanghai in front of a traffic cop, who I saw immediately started talking into his lapel mike, meaning there is now a growing possibility that his colleagues would be waiting for me at the next intersection. So I'm mending my ways and waiting out the lights, just as I do when I'm riding in any other country.

Just sayin'!

Cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: New in this forum, but not driving :) 
    C-Moto Noob
    @Nuhaus --> when is the next meeting then??
    I bought my bike like a year and something ago to a chinese friend. it´s a MC 17 in a very good condition because since I get it I changed pretty much the whole bike to make it perfect (engine,tires,clutch,brakes..). Even my girlfriend brought me from Russia some stuff(don´t know hot to explain in english..) to put with the oil that makes the compression as good as new. But is time to get something bigger , well, first is time to find a job within a month cos if not I will be forced to go back home.. :(((((

@td_ref & marcomagica --> thanks for ur reply, hopefully I would not get involved in an accident...

@euphonius --> thanks for your adivice, the thing is right now I dont have any plates in my bike, but I´m lucky coz I can get petrol next to my house without them.
    But the thing is, if I find a proper job in the next month and I stay, I wanna buy a big bike, I already saw one with plates from another city, but dont think the owner has the fapiao from the bike or anyhing.. :((
    So is gonna be complicated to register, get the insurance and register the bike.. There is any way to get all the stuff without fapiao??
    I already have driver license, but I´m getting tired to ride in Shanghai and I would like to go outside but without plates and stuff.. kinda afraid..