Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: QianJiang 150-19A 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all, i'm new on this forum and i just bought a QJ150-19A in Black color but i don't have a user manual. Pls share it for me if you have it. Thanks!

2. #12 Re: QianJiang 150-19A 
    (Warning this user review borders on a ride report)

JKgA5.jpg

There she is, my new QJ 150 (previously Ekkies). Gorgeous isn't she! Now I know what you're thinking, "It's only a 150 Andy, get over it." Well I whipped her sexy little 150cc arse through the QinLing mountains, along the banks of the ChangJiang, along the epressway, through guodao's and xiangddao's alike, 2,200 km from Xi'an to Shanghai and we did it in only 3 and a half days including two hospitalizations (for the bike, not me) and let me tell you, she's not just a 150.

City: First as has been previously mentioned she is a good-looking bike. Chicks love it... when it's clean and shiny. Pulling out I see you watching me, I know I'm cool, take-off, my coolness is Fonzylike. Into first gear, the tires are slipping, she sounds like a WW2 bomber flying overhead...ah yess, here we go, up into second,, oh fuck thats neutral fiddle with the gears, the bike is screaming, the girls are laughing, Fonzy is gone, hurrying away from the shame you swing onto the ring road. This bike is made for cornering (more on that in the mountains), weaving in and out of traffic, no probs there. Traffic lights, one simple downshift and your in neutral, very handy for coasting to red's. It is a aggressivly loud tho but you grow to love it.

Country: When your "flying" along at 70kmph the last thing you need is for your bike to suddenly be in first gear, that's what you get when your not used to RTW gears and you're not paying attention. When it's dry it's just a bit of fun, but if it's wet... Luckily it didn't rain for my whole trip. Slipped into first two or three times but then again I'm a novice.
    I've only ever ridden the QingQi (god rest his soul) extensively and found that I tend to sit more forward and crouching down into the corners helped me to get deeper into it. I was using this tried and tested method on the QJ but to no avail, after 2 hours in the mountains I was falling asleep. Finally, I don't know if it has to do with all the fuel in the front, or the backpack on the back, or just the style of bike but leaning back into my backpack backrest, nocking it down a gear and burning out of the corners made for some unforgettable riding. I think there're few better feelings in the world. And when you're Schumachering it around corners, up and down mountains here's some food for thought. You M'sPG are on par with that of those big oaf sidecars (citation needed). Luckily QJ with their 1 million litre fuel tank have got you covered, I got 400 km of riding out of it before I had to refuel (I haven't yet run far into the red on the fuel.gauge...ie I havent added much more than 10L of petrol at one time). Flying out of a mountain corner and down a big open hill, squeeling with delight like a little girl (bear in mind I haven't ridden for a few months) I managed to get a max speed of 94ish, that's gps speed, the clock said 110, there was still more left in her but I ran out of space. For all practical purposes that's the top speed, I did manage to get more though, which brings us onto the motorway.

Expressway:
    The second day I arose at 5, hoping to make it 800km to WuHan in time for dinner, I was on the road by half past. Come half past 6 I had a front tire puncture in a three house village. As fortune would have it the next village (maybe ten houses) there were three dealerships.. QJ, suzuki and haojue. Apparently the QJ has tubeless tires and if you and/or your mechanic are not completly useless you can be back on the road in just a few minutes. In my case it took hours, I don't want to talk about it. Anyway it was decided that if I wanted to get to WuHan in time for tea I would have to give up the remaining twisties and take 'er out on the expressway. Flat against the tank, moving down a 5km long hill recorded a top speed of 98.6kmph, the rev counter had just jumped into the red so I laid off and pulled into a rest area for a break. On the road again, I was considering the speed difference and handling etc. and trying to decide if the qj was a better bike than the qq and then it just stopped working. 20 km from the next exit is not a good place to be with a broken bike....

GuoDao:
    There was some problem with the carbeuretter, I didnt see exactly because I was trying to get my new-found kitten to drink something. Was back on the road the next day at 8am. Between that and 8pm me and the qj covered some 750-800 km of national roads with only one real break. Dont know what happened the day before, whether it was some assembly issue, something to do with red zoning or what but the problem was gone. The bike kept a steady speed for hours on end without getting hot or freaking out, max speeds were in the 85 region. I reckon you can get over 800km per million litres (or one full tank) with that kind of driving. I didnt measure so I can't be sure... I refuelled twice but the tank wasn't near empty ever.

XiangDao (read PunishMent):
    Anyone who has driven west to east through HeFei will have to concur that there is probably no worse place on earth to ride a bike, especially if I has little to no off road capability. It began slow, perfectly smooth roads punctuated with deep-deep potholes and large mounds where they overfilled them with tarmac. I hit more than one of them at near top speed, I could totally see the wheel just crumpling or the shocks giving in but the Qj was having none of it. Things went from bad to worse. Completly f***ed roads, riding through impenetrable clouds of dust for hours (thanks for that route felix!!), more and more of the same. Smashing into and out of potholes, the shocks were getting a real workout, I even got sideswiped once in a dust cloud (luckily my leg was between van and bike so no damage done to her lovely paint). Still she just kept on going. 13 hours of riding made us the final 700 k's home. Tomorrow she's getting a wash and having the tire pressure checked, air-filter cleaned etc.

Problems:
    Tires:Unlike moboguy I found the tires to be less than sticky. Countless times I felt the tires spinning when taking off. I dont know if I can just get better rubber or it they'd have to be slicks to make a difference and f slicks.
    Grips: Very uncomfortable over long distance, very hard contours and get very sweaty in the evening
    Handlebars: make for poor mounting of smartphone. I ended up just taping mine onto the side.
    Have to actually move my whole leg to shift gears because of the placement, maybe thats normal with these kind of bikes...

Things that are great:
    No nonsense set up. reasonable sized wheels, none of that "bananna in your shorts" plastic fairing shit up front.
    Tank obviously
    Transformer insignia, saved me 20 kuai on taobao :P. Its on the key too which is also nice
    Throwing a backpack on the back without a luggage rack takes less than two minutes and provides a nice backrest, just worried it'll scratch the paint eventually.
    Dealerships are everywhere. Still shitty mechanics but its comforting to know there are spare parts even in the countryside. Just ordering tubes for the qq to anji took three days.
    Inexpensive!!
    The lights work well in all modes straight out of the shop
    RTW gears are kind of sweet
    The dashboard seems to be pretty decent, the needles never bounce around, has a trip meter too but this can be unreliable.
    Has fuel gauge AND a reserve tank (FU QingQi)
    Exhaust cover so you dont burn yourself or your luggage and when it's fkd up you can just swap it out, no need to replace the exhaust
    Kick start
    The handlebar clutch thing is cool but I think it's only there because the way the engine is set up the engine mounted one is not easily accessible...
    There's a centre stand!!!

Anyway I don't really know how to sum all of that up. I love it. The fact thats it's only a 150 adds to the appeal for me. Being a bit careless and trigger happy having a speed limit on the bike is safer for me while still a load of fun. Plus all the little extras, they've really put a lot of thought into it. It's a shame she's only going to be a transit vehicle now until october holiday....

A parting gift, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I found this on another forum...

A lighter bike:
    uxKoq.jpg

3. #13 Re: QianJiang 150-19A 
    Ekicore must be happy the Squeazel has somebody that appreciates it.

4. #14 Re: QianJiang 150-19A 
    Rock on Andy! Mate you were seriously clocking up those kms, great stuff.

From September 24th we will be riding out east from Hohhot, down into Ningxia, into Qinghai and south to Chengdu. It'd be great to have u along..

T

5. #15 Re: QianJiang 150-19A 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have a QJ 150-19C here in Wuhan it's a great little machine fast enough for getting around here and my daily commuter that's beats taking taxis any day!

Im very happy with it only gripe is the seat is a little uncomfortable after a n hours riding

astrob

6. #16 Re: QianJiang 150-19A 
    Strange... This motorcycle is in some markets equipped in stock with oil cooler, and in other is without him...
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

7. #17 Re: QianJiang 150-19A 
    this goes out to all you qj owners. I haven't got the manual yet so your help would be appreciated. Mine idles too low and so always cuts out at the lights. I have to keep reving it slightly to keep it going when in neutral. In my old bike there was a simple little screw that you can just twist with your fingers to change the idle speed. L'il help would be appreciated.

As for the liquid cooling, seems it might be a bit overkill and drive the price up. Like I said above I rode her from sunup to sundown and she didn't even blush. Only had one break of around half an hour for lunch and the rest was just one to five minutes tops and not many of them!

8. #18 Re: QianJiang 150-19A 
    Quote Originally Posted by corporal_clegg View Post
    this goes out to all you qj owners. I haven't got the manual yet so your help would be appreciated. Mine idles too low and so always cuts out at the lights. I have to keep reving it slightly to keep it going when in neutral. In my old bike there was a simple little screw that you can just twist with your fingers to change the idle speed. L'il help would be appreciated.
    Post a picture of the carb and I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction. I doubt Qjiang is using anything different than the other companies here.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #19 Re: QianJiang 150-19A 
    I just went to check the tire pressure and the mechanic pointed it out to me so, sorted. Pressure was at half the reccomended. I told the guy in the bike shop last time the pressure I wanted, he did it by ear and possibly some kind of sixth sense, "the bike whisperer" they called him. I guess I must have lost some air on the road :P

10. #20 Re: QianJiang 150-19A 
    Please do not take things like chain adjustments and tire pressure on good faith. Far too often they are done incorrectly which will cost you valuable time and money in the long run. I do my tire and chain checks weekly and usually every day when on a long trip, it's a good habit to get into and requires almost no mechanical skill.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast