Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Something that most of us knew, but here it is again... 
    http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/b...-in-china.html

I think that the OEM is Loncin, if I am not mistaken?

2. #2 Re: Something that most of us knew, but here it is again... 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    You would be correct. Loncin has been OEMing the bimmer 650 thumper for some years now. Somehow I think Austrian engine maker/designer AVL is involved, or was in the earlier years before Loncin took on full responsibility. This is not the engine that goes into the F650GS, which is a twin that's probably still made in Germany. That engine, as we've discussed before, is actually not a 650cc at all, but is the same displacement as the F800GS -- the same engine block. It's the G650GS that uses the Loncin-made engine.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Something that most of us knew, but here it is again... 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    You would be correct. Loncin has been OEMing the bimmer 650 thumper for some years now. Somehow I think Austrian engine maker/designer AVL is involved, or was in the earlier years before Loncin took on full responsibility. This is not the engine that goes into the F650GS, which is a twin that's probably still made in Germany. That engine, as we've discussed before, is actually not a 650cc at all, but is the same displacement as the F800GS -- the same engine block. It's the G650GS that uses the Loncin-made engine.
    The engine you are referring to is the 652cc single which went into all F650 BMW bikes pre 2008 and into all G650s after 2008. It was developed by Rotax in Austria with and for BMW as is the 798cc parallel twin which sits in all 2008 and later F650s and F800s.
    The 652cc single is assembled by Loncin since 2006 or 2007 and goes into the G650s ever since. Not sure if the 2011 European G650s engines also come from the Loncin assembly line. However, parts are still coming from Rotax Austria. I think trough Loncin this engine is OEMed for other manufacturers.

AVL from Austria is the developer of the 597cc engine which sits in the JH600s.
    Andy

4. #4 Re: Something that most of us knew, but here it is again... 
    Dear Andy,

Yes, it's Rotax not AVL that supplies the thumper engine technology to Loncin for the G650GS. Thanks for the correction.

Do you understand BMW's logic for using the same 798cc engine in both the F800 and F650? Perhaps a different crankshaft with a shorter throw so the 650 displaces a smaller volume? Why bother offering an F650 twin if it's really an 800? Weirdness from the marketing department, I suspect.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

5. #5 Re: Something that most of us knew, but here it is again... 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Do you understand BMW's logic for using the same 798cc engine in both the F800 and F650? Perhaps a different crankshaft with a shorter throw so the 650 displaces a smaller volume? Why bother offering an F650 twin if it's really an 800?
    There is a lot of confusion about BMW's naming convention and I personally haven't yet found any reasonable explanation.
    The engines installed in all 798cc bikes, the F650GS (from 2008) as well as the F800 GS, ST, R, S, are the same, obviously only cam-shafts and software make them different.
    F650GS: 52 kW (71 hp) at 7,000 rpm (output reduction to 25 kW (34 hp) at 5,000 rpm possible)
    F800GS: 63 kW (85 hp) at 7,500 rpm
    F800ST: 62.5 kW (85 hp) at 8,000 rpm (output reduction to 25 kW (34 hp) at 7,000 rpm possible)
    F800R: 64 kW (87 hp) at 8,000 rpm (output reduction 25 kW (34 hp) at 6,000 rpm possible
    F800S: 62.5 kW (85 hp) at 8,000 rpm (output reduction to 25 kW (34 hp) at 7,000 rpm possible)

The output reduction is useful in some markets where new riders are facing power and power/weight ratio limitations.

Still, the name 650 is weird, confusing, strange, a myth, ...
    Andy

6. #6 Re: Something that most of us knew, but here it is again... 
    Quote Originally Posted by chinabiker View Post
    ...Still, the name 650 is weird, confusing, strange, a myth, ...
    Hey, I prefer thumpers anyway!

jkp
    Shanghai