Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: New from Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New from Texas 
    Hey guys and gals, I've been working a lot on my china bike and stumbled across this forum. Already joined at another china bike oriented forum, this one may be a little more livelier.

Day 1, my friend just dropped it off before he was deployed.

And now a couple weeks later

I've since gotten new mirrors, front signals on the way, a few new bulbs, and since the throttle cable broke on my I ordered a new one from china-parts.co.uk

My first Enduro was a '99 Kawasaki KE100. The Kinroad/XR200R replica has more power but man the shifting is throwing me off. My plans are to get this thing buttoned up a lottle better and use it as a nice day commuter over my car. I work about 10 miles form my house at a local hardware store.

I might need the schematics to the lights...can't find them anywhere.
    '04 SunL 150cc GY6 scooter, 7K miles
    '07 Kinroad XT200GY 1,600 miles, 163FML

2. #2 Re: New from Texas 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear SloJoe,

Greetings and welcome to the forum. Very glad to see you are so on top of things and taking charge of the bike's development. I'm a bit surprised by your comment about the shifting. Are you saying this bike has a different shift pattern from the standard 1-N-2-3-4-5(-6)?

I thought from your first picture that you were infatuated with blue vehicles, but your paint job indicates otherwise! Have you gone to marine green or is that actually matt black? Looks great, and I like the small ammo box storage pannier.

You are going to have a heap of fun on that bike. Please keep us posted, and I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping you'll post plenty of ride reports from your adventures in Texas!

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: New from Texas 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear SloJoe,
    Are you saying this bike has a different shift pattern from the standard 1-N-2-3-4-5(-6)?
    It's set-up as a grand prix shifter. So I can accelerate through the gears quickly via pushing downward on the shifter, then to downshift I have to lift up on the shifter. For what riding I do I would prefer it to be the opposite where I push down to downshift and up to up-shift(the norm shift pattern).

I painted it Ultra-Flat Olive "Camouflage" Krylon Fusion. And about the blue cars...The Challenger is my 4th blue car. I had to wait three months for it to be assembled due to the Fiat merger, shortly after my sister picked up a deep Water Blue Caravan, and my girlfriend has had the indigo Ink Pearl Scion TC since '05.

4. #4 Re: New from Texas 
    i like what youve done to your bike what cc is it? also it reminds me very much of a Harley-Davidson MT350E/ Armstrong MT500
    Armstrong MT500.jpg

5. #5 Re: New from Texas 
    It's a 200cc. Fixing the throttle cable with some JB weld right now. Can't wait til I am off work Sunday. Got the itch to ride! Then back to modifying it. Want to put a larger rear sprocket and stiffen up the rear spring.

6. #6 Re: New from Texas 
    you want to make the top speed slower or are you putting a larger rear shock for better offroad?

7. #7 Re: New from Texas 
    Make the top end lower. I'm 220lbs and want a little better low end gearing. not taking this thing over 40mph anyways.

8. #8 Re: New from Texas 
    ahh i see makes sense my bike is geared stupidly low but it still does motorway speeds so im quite happy with the setup for the time being

9. #9 Re: New from Texas 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have a red one of that in 250cc. There are all kinds of part available in China for it. Let me know if you can't find certain things in Texas. I changed the whole thing from black to red (all plastics) for RMB280. approx US$40+.

10. #10 Re: New from Texas 
    So here is another update. My friend acquired another China bike from one who didn't have the time/interest in fixing it up. So I got to work and after reassembling the carb, new choke cable, spark plug was missing, battery, and swapping some electrical from the green bike to the newer(less mileage) red bike...a running and bike with good shocks, tires, brakes, switches, and much firmer feeling than the green bike.

See the non-matching headlamp bezel? Krylon Fusion Pepper red to the rescue!

Note the odometer...yeah, it's accurate!

SO for now the red bike will be my grocery getter and the green one is the beater/parts bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast