Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: China ride

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 China ride 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello

I've been lurking for a few weeks taking in the conversations that may or may not help me accomplish a China ride.
    I want to ride my 1914 Harley Davidson 10E single speed from Shanghai to Guilin and back to Shanghai in September of 2012.
    I'v chatted with Jack at HD Beijing and he as been very warm and helpful to this point.

Whilst the posted scenery and back roads look like everything I would expect, and more, the trials of getting all the correct paperwork appear to be almost impossible.
    My hope is to invite and have a english speaking chinese motorcyclist ride with me for the approximately two week ride.
    I would appreciate any ideas from you riders out there.
    I'm working with a shipping agent to get the bike in and out of the country, even that is beginning to look like a major challenge.
    Last year I rode the bike, alone from Manhattan New York to San Francisco, approx. 3800 miles so I'm not exactly a beginner.
    Looking forward to your replies.
    Thanks in advance

10E

2. #2 Re: China ride 
    hey 10e welcome and enjoy your trip
    even if you cant speak chinese its no problem to travel here

if you have a basic phrase book or even a dictionary on your phone
    you will be able to get gas , food , a place to sleep and whatever else you may need

so just come and enjoy
    good luck with the import process

3. #3 Re: China ride 
    Hi 10e,

Good luck on your ride prep. Dream rides keep us up at night (the excitement/anticipation), and with China the "mafan" (trouble) can keep you up at night when trying to sort out the details!

Your post was looking for "ideas". Can you be specific for what you're looking for? Maybe you can bullet point the things that you're struggling with most (but of course please first take the time to use MCM's exiting threads to help you out - as you mentioned already).

One bullet point would be the Driver's License (again, lots of info already here on that issue so please check). Do you already have a Chinese Driver's License/plan to get one, or ride illegally? I would caution against riding without a license in China....see the many EXISTING threads on this.

4. #4 Re: China ride 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello
    Thanks for the friendly responses, it really helps.
    MotKal, you hit the nail on the head. A lot of the fun, and frustration, is in planning the trip. I spent a year both working over and riding the bike, sometimes going out for three day rides and planning the journey across the country. I blew an engine before I even got started, good thing in the end.
    I have been reading all the posts on drivers licenses, insurance, driving conditions in towns(the plan is to stay clear of large cities and large towns if at all possible) police encounters etc.
    I'm at a time in life when I'm passed the "I want to be in the revolution" and stupid fun stage. I want to ride and enjoy the people and scenery hence going
    with all the right papers is the only way to go for me. I'm not against taken some calculated risks but not something that would end the trip. Maybe its an advantage? :-) but I'll be 70 years old if I make the trip.
    The bullets.

Getting the bike in and out of Shanghai. I'm working with shipping agents who are somewhat familiar with this situation. Hopefully this will workout.

Visa-- Don't think that will be a problem.

Drivers License. Totally confused about this. From "I've ridden in China without a license with no problems" to " They put me in jail and impounded my bike"
    I am on a tight schedule due to other commitments.
    Can I drive on my California license or if I have to have chinese license, to prevent problems, can I get it quickly, including working on the 1500 questions whilst in California.

Insurance. Very important. How would I get this in Shanghai when i arrived there and how much would it cost.
    Will check if I can get coverage from here.
    Travel Companion. I mentioned this because I feel I would get a lot more out of the ride traveling with someone who speaks the native language and also because we will be traveling on minor roads (national) taking wrong turns sometimes leads to wonderful experiences but can wreck schedules. Unfortunately I don't have have an open ended time schedule. Bad.
    I hope there is someone out there who would like to come on a two week run --Shanghai Guilin and back.

The route No idea at this point. Just want to be away from cities and large towns.
    Travel a different route going to Guilin than coming back.
    The bike is a single speed but as climbed the 8,400 ft Kit Carson Pass ok Hills and mountains need to be taken into account with this bike.
    What is the highest pass between Shanghai and Guilin.

I'll leave it there for now and hope you can all help.

Thanks again

10e

5. #5 Re: China ride 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Welcome 10E ... super cool and quite ambitious!

Quote Originally Posted by 10e View Post
    Drivers License. Totally confused about this. From "I've ridden in China without a license with no problems" to " They put me in jail and impounded my bike"
    I am on a tight schedule due to other commitments.
    Can I drive on my California license or if I have to have chinese license, to prevent problems, can I get it quickly, including working on the 1500 questions whilst in California.
    Messy can of worms here.

The "rules" ...
    1) You need a visa valid for > 90 days to qualify for a Chinese DL (this is doable), BUT, the process of getting a Chinese DL (translation of CA license/medical/scheduling exam/writing exam/getting actual license) will often consume 3 or 4 weeks of your initial time in China.
    2) There is a "temporary DL" available (for those on a 90 days or less visa) ... but don't let anyone try to tell you it is ok for motorcycles. It is a highly restrictive DL that is only valid for rental cars from approved rental agencies, and only within a narrow geographical location. Some argue that this temp license is better than no license - maybe it is, maybe it isn't. You're at the mercy of the "investigating officer."
    3) A special "motorcycle tour" license is available in a few areas of China ... but that won't apply in your case (you need accompanying Chinese guides who are licensed to guide foreign tourists, pre-approval of route, etc, etc, etc).
    4) Your CA license would not be valid, nor would an International Driving Permit.

Quote Originally Posted by 10e View Post
    Insurance. Very important. How would I get this in Shanghai when i arrived there and how much would it cost.
    Will check if I can get coverage from here.
    Vehicle insurance is amazingly easy and inexpensive - probably only a few hundred rmb for your bike. Available at almost any of the big insurance offices.

Health insurance is definitely required and it is prohibitively expensive for foreigners in China - get good international coverage back home, or online.

Finally, bringing the bike into China (if that can actually be done by the shipping agent) raises the issue of getting a plate on the bike after it arrives. I am not sure if the agent would have that ability.

PS: I am gaining a little experience with getting "special permission" to bring bikes & people into China (from Hong Kong) for a "special ride", but that is very restricted and convoluted, and it is only for one province (Hainan). You would need "special permission" for multiple provinces (each is their own little kingdom) in your tour - a very tough thing to accomplish.

6. #6 Re: China ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    You would need "special permission" for multiple provinces (each is their own little kingdom) in your tour - a very tough thing to accomplish.
    And correct me if I'm wrong...but I recall reading here or off MCM that the only way to accomplish this is with being accompanied by an "official" Chinese guide - this would be your companion, and all expenses and fees need will be paid by the rider. (Sound familiar to anyone here?)

7. #7 Re: China ride 
    C-Moto Noob
    Lao Jia hou
    Thanks a lot for the information. Having read much of the threads on the forum, it's a little mind numbing, I must say what you have said seems to make a whole lot of common sense.

Ironically, when I crossed the U.S. on the bike I only talked to one policeman in two weeks of riding. I was transferring gas from the rear tank to the front tank on the side of the road, he stopped, on the road, didn't even pull in behind me, rolled down his window said "are you ok" I said yes and he took off. Comical. Somehow I felt abandoned.
    The plan seems pretty insurmountable at the moment but I will keep going a little while longer.
    You might find this interesting. Google victor boocock It might make you smile.
    Please keep it coming

10e

8. #8 Re: China ride 
    Some good advice and info from LJH, but as always, it really boils down to two solutions:

#1 Contact an official overland tour agency and spend a heap of cash having them handle the import arrangements, drivers license, registration, insurance & guide service.

#2 Take your bike apart, send it in boxes to Hong Kong, bring it across the border via a courier. Reassemble the bike and do your trip without license, reg, guide, or insurance.

The subject of non-resident foreigners riding here has been beaten to death, and the outcome is always the same. China doesn't want you, or your motorcycle, here, so they've made an outrageously expensive and structured solution for those wishing to undertake a legitimate overland China tour. This is why so many people have opted to go the illegal route (not recommended).

Just curious, why Shanghai to Guilin?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #9 Re: China ride 
    The only way I can see is that this bike being from 1914 and a single speed may be if you imported it as a motorized bicycle and claimed that it produced less power than a motorcycle, so could be driven legally without plates or a license, then get travel insurance from back home.

Otherwise it's China V +1.

10. #10 Re: China ride 
    An ambitious move may be to work out a "Heritage Ride" for Harley Davidson:
    American guy on a Classic 1914 Harley Davidson 10E single speed will ride from Shanghai to Guilin

* I see that link, I'm In!

If you can get them to sort out the legal issues for you, and help arrange for the Official Chinese Guide (this should be a guy riding a 2011 Harley along with you), the PR value you provide HD in return from news articles, blogs, posts, and media exposure during your Start/Finish, would prove very valuable for their marketing efforts in China. Did you spin it this way to your contact in Beijing HD? What about the SH guys?

Here are some "Classic Car" links that you can use as reference to support for your Classic Harley pitch:
    China Holds First Classic Car Rally
    Peking to Paris 2013

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast