Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: China ride

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: China ride 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I very much agree with Motokai that your best bet for pulling this off would be to organize it through Harley-Davidson, let them sponsor the temporary import and possibly even some of your travel. The PR value to their campaign of building respect for the brand and for recreational (vis a vis agricultural) motorcycling would be enormous, as this ride could attract huge media coverage.

I'll PM you a name to contact, and if you'd like I can make an introduction.

I enjoyed the videos of your transcontinental ride! You aren't one of those legendary British "eccentrics" are you?

Good Luck!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #12 Re: China ride 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Yes, what Motokai & Euphonius suggest is probably the ticket.

I have heard this from several official sources, and also have a little personal experience with it - organize some unique tour that is a win-win situation, and doors will slowly start opening. Especially if there is positive media coverage.

A classic bike tour might be the way in. Include some Chinese classics, maybe a BMW classic, perhaps a Ducati classic (i.e., bikes with a presence in China), and it can probably be put together. I'm chasing a very specific classic XingFu 250 and, if I can convince the stubborn/crotchety owner to sell, I'd be thrilled to join you.

Under these circumstances, all the "special permissions" can fall into place through the central Beijing authorities. In China, Beijing is considered the center of the universe, so the various provinces wouldn't give anyone any hassles, if you have the infamous Beijing "red chop". One strange requirement (as I have just learned from one project) is that you'd probably have to fly a "friendship flag" from the bike.

The Harley distributor for China might be a good initial point of contact. Or, if you are a member of H.O.G., it can certainly help you out (HOG China). I just read an article in HOG Tales about a couple of Harley Ultras riding to Tibet (Everest Base Camp). They like that stuff here.

But, doing it independently, as ChinaV notes, is going to be extremely difficult (I'd guess practically impossible) ... or illegal.

3. #13 Re: China ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    China doesn't want you, or your motorcycle, here, so they've made an outrageously expensive and structured solution for those wishing to undertake a legitimate overland China tour. This is why so many people have opted to go the illegal route (not recommended).

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Or they just opt not to come here at all and bypass China completely.

China the next superpower nation.

4. #14 Re: China ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    I'm chasing a very specific classic XingFu 250 and, if I can convince the stubborn/crotchety owner to sell, I'd be thrilled to join you.
    Putting down the and joining this heritage ride!

I'm on a 1963 Moto Guzzi Falcone Sport w/ 499cc OHV single (yet to be sourced of course).

euphonius, ChinaV, Felix what are you riding?

My apologies to 10e for usurping this thread (and his ride), but WOW = great idea!

5. #15 Re: China ride 
    OK, creative juices flowing now, and threads merging. Wonder what was Jialing's earliest bike? Probably a sidecar and probably military. Hopefully from the 1950s. Can any of you oft-stalling JH600 owners spell I-N-G-R-A-T-I-A-T-E?

jkp
    Shanghai

6. #16 Re: China ride 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Hi again 10e

Here is a somewhat dated (2009) example of a "classic bike tour" in Xinjiang Province (NW China)

http://news.163.com/09/0609/18/5BCT494P00011229.html

The report is in Chinese, but Google can perform a basic translation for you. The report quotes a senior Xinjiang official as commenting about "support for activities that promote healthy tourism." That is very true - the most recent China 5 year plan articulates strong support for inbound tourism. You can also see the "friendship flags."

Staying inside one province is easier than crossing provincial borders, because then you just have to deal with one province's authorities. There is, however, a Beijing tourism authority whose job it is to facilitate/coordinate such crossings. This authority can also facilitate special importations, permits and driving licenses. One needs a comprehensive travel plan, however, before approaching the Beijing authorities. As noted earlier, I've just gone through the process for a MC activity in southern China for "foreigners" from Hong Kong, Europe and the Americas.

It helps to have the support / endorsement of recognized groups in China. My guess is that H.O.G. (China) would be your best bet, and although I cannot speak directly for it, I am sure it would be receptive. But to get the assistance of Beijing authorities (supported by recognized groups), you'd probably need some spin - e.g., classic bike tour - and probably with at least 6 riders on obvious classics. "Old foreigners on old bikes" would probably strike the right chord with the right people.

Here is the HOG website:

http://www.hogchina.cn/

I'm a member, if you need help/intros.

It can be done, but most probably not independently. Independent riding is currently reserved for native Chinese (like this cool old guy):

http://news.163.com/11/1025/10/7H71L9M600011229.html

or long-term foreign residents (reference Ride Reports on this site).

PS: Euphonius - I saw one of Jailing's earliest efforts at a museum in Beijing - a 12 cc motorized bicycle (without EFI). Very cool.

7. #17 Re: China ride 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    OK, creative juices flowing now, and threads merging. Wonder what was Jialing's earliest bike? Probably a sidecar and probably military. Hopefully from the 1950s. Can any of you oft-stalling JH600 owners spell I-N-G-R-A-T-I-A-T-E?

Euphonius
    Can you PM me. I am having trouble getting on the site.
    Hope this makes it.

10e

8. #18 Re: China ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    OK, creative juices flowing now, and threads merging. Wonder what was Jialing's earliest bike? Probably a sidecar and probably military. Hopefully from the 1950s.
    First civilian Jialing was produced in 1979:
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...5903#post35903

Let me know if you find an earlier military bike, please let us know!

9. #19 Re: China ride 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello
    Thank you Lao for the detailed information. It is all very helpful and very educational.
    I have been talking to euphonius. He as been very helpful and a couple of ideas are being tried which may take a little time to resolve one way or another. I'm still trying to make this work even though it is not easy.

I wrote a slightly detailed e-mail that didn't make onto the site discussing the pre-16 rides we do here in California.

They are typically 3day events out in the boonies. We truck the bikes to the start point and then ride different routes each day.
    A friend a I have organized such an event out of King City CA. I can tell you from experience that keeping these old bikes running for 3 days let alone 2 weeks is no mean feat.
    So get those old bikes in good shape for the chinese heritage ride.

I road my bike almost 4000 miles around Northern California debugging it before I attempted the cross US ride. The preparation paid off.
    Keep up the posts

Thanks again
    10e

10. #20 Re: China ride 
    Dear 10e,

Please feel free to email to me the information you'd like to post, and I'll post it up. Pictures most welcome.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast