Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    cfm.jpgcfm2.jpg

Recently purchased a second hand 2012 CFMoto 650TR with only 4,000km on the clock. Pictures attached from mountains outside Xiamen, she's in decent condition. I'd like some advice on the following:

Tires; Glass puncture in the back tire so I need a new set. I'm looking at Pirelli Scorpion II, the Continentals that come with the 650 TRG, Metzeler Tourance, Michelin Pilot Road 4. We all know the roads in China are crap, but I also want something that will handle the expressway. Also, some people are recommending I go up from the standard 160 to 170 for the back tire, any opinions?

Heat; this bike heats up quite a bit, not to the point where I think there's a failure but it could be an issue. I bought some Motorex coolant, and also an upgraded fan off Taobao, wondering if people had any experience with this issue. It's not that bad for me but I could see a pillion complaining about it.

Exhaust; heavy and not particularly cool sounding. Any ideas on a replacement? I've seen the thread compilation, wondering if any other ideas on this front.

In general I am pretty happy with the bike and lord willing I want to take her really far this winter, the tires are my most pressing concern. God bless and thanks for reading!

On the GS I use Metzeler Tourance Next. I am satisfied with that.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

3. #3 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    Lots of places selling Pirelli Angels last time I looked, seem like a hard wearing but pretty grippy sports touring tire.
    Those engines do run hot, but it's not that bad, especially with winter on its way.
    Heard good things about Kawasakai Ninja 650/ER6F bolt on replacement mufflers. Although in China I wouldn't bother due to legal problems with modifying the bike.

4. #4 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    Hi
    Had the Conti on the TR-G from new only lasted 8000km on the back.
    Decided to fit the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT very good and lasted 24.000km back with 28.000km front.
    But get the "GT" version.

Back tyre on the TR-G is 180.55.17
    Should fit your bike ok
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    PROBLEMS:

So, in reference to above, I put Pirelli Scorpions on, no problem. BUT I'm having some other issues. Namely:

-The brakes are sticking at times. The CFMOTO dealer wants me to spend 1700 + 1200 RMB to upgrade to the 2014 J.Juan Brakes, but I'm mostly annoyed that these brakes suck.
    -The engine vibrations are really hard to deal with, especially on a long ride.
    -I'm getting error code 48. The CFMOTO dealer brushed it off as "mei shi" but I'm noticing when that error code flashes the engine sounds like it has a cough.
    -The bike heats up very easily in city traffic.

Tomorrow I am taking the bike to another CFMOTO dealer for a second opinion. I like the bike for 22,000RMB I spent on it but if this engine is likely to shit out on me then I want to flip this thing out as fast as possible. I took it on a long ride to the Tulou in Fujian the other day - Fujian's mountains have awesome riding. While I enjoy riding a "real" bike, there were several close calls that I had at high speed which made me reassess the value of having a large bike in China. I'm starting to lean towards acquiring something no larger than 400cc. My problem currently is budget, and I'm a big dude at 180 cm and 108 kg.

I like my CFMOTO but it's a bit of a pain for the traffic situations we face on the regular.

6. #6 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Here's some shots on my trips around Fujian, but yea if you have recommendations for aforementioned issues please tell:IMG_20161105_173152_HDR.jpgIMG_20161024_121732.jpgIMG_20161106_061946_HDR.jpg

7. #7 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    50cc 100cc 500c 1000cc bikes.
    you can die on them all ?
    In most cases it's the rider is the killer not the bike?

A need for speed is a big killer in China.
    Just be careful if you can.
    Good luck ride safe.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #8 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Waiting for the JJuan brakes to arrive in Xiamen. COntinuing to get the 48 Error code, but for some reason it doesn't pop when the dealership sees it with his computer. The engine sounds very rough and loud lately but the dealership says this is normal. I'm wondering what I can do to properly diagnose the bike and try and preserve the life of the engine. It has not crapped me out yet but I had a weird feeling about it.

9. #9 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I need help. Recurring engine "cough" may be an issue with the fuel injector. Cfmoto dealership in Xiamen is being *really* unhelpful, since it runs they don't wanna do anything about it. I bought this bike for long runs but I am scared of having a serious breakdown. Error code is 48. Anyone have any suggestions so I can diagnose whether or not me and this bike have a future?

10. #10 Re: Suggestions for my newly bought 2012 CF 650TR 
    So, in reference to above, I put Pirelli Scorpions on, no problem. BUT I'm having some other issues. Namely:

-The brakes are sticking at times. The CFMOTO dealer wants me to spend 1700 + 1200 RMB to upgrade to the 2014 J.Juan Brakes, but I'm mostly annoyed that these brakes suck.
    The brakes have been fine for me. Sounds like they just need a bleed or have dirty pistons. Should be a free fix.
    -The engine vibrations are really hard to deal with, especially on a long ride.
    Shouldn't be a problem, again the vibes aren't so bad for me, though not on par with a Japanese bike. Try checking the torque on all bolts, especially engine frame bolts.
    -I'm getting error code 48. The CFMOTO dealer brushed it off as "mei shi" but I'm noticing when that error code flashes the engine sounds like it has a cough.
    -The bike heats up very easily in city traffic.
    Sounds like the bike is running a bit lean. Error 48 is the Lambda (oxygen) sensor on cylinder 2. That sensor needs to be replaced as the bike's ECU doesn't know what fuel mix it needs. There may be a way to override this by using some kind of default ECU setting.

If it's possible try to get your money back or sell up. You clearly cannot deal with a Chinabike. You need something more reliable. Go to Sundiro Honda and order a CBR300R, it will suit you much better and unlikely miss a beat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast