Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 newbie tired of electric bikes. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi

My e scooter spoilt on me and I am tired of charging them everyday. I do not have a foreign scooter license but would like to be legal as possible.

I am looking for a scooter. I do not mind paying for the legal plates so long as I can sell it next time. I see that theres a petrol scooter that is labelled as 35cc Or 48cc would I have problems with the police. I stay near portman ritz carlton so its quite centralised with traffic police here and there.

What should I do? I tried registering for scooter learning license but was told that its a waitlist of 6 months. My bike is spoilt and I am comtemplating getting a eletric or gas one. Winter is coming and the performance for electric bikes really drops.

2. #2 Re: newbie tired of electric bikes. 
    C-Moto Noob
    I was at jiaoji lu and got a few quotes.

a 125cc without plates is 2000 with 200 for plates elsewhere.

50cc bike with blue plate at bike plus ( plate price of 900 - 27000 depending on A B C

150 cc bike with (yellow plate was 53000 - 7000 rmb) depending on A B C

I was thinking of buying a bike but was told I need a license to buy so that he can tag the plate to? is that the case?

Am I better of with a cheap bike with 200 blue plate?
    And also if I want to but plates, what plate should I get.

I am ok with the 200 fine or 700 to get the bike back / confiscation etc so long as I do not get into trouble.

advise is appreciated please.

3. #3 Re: newbie tired of electric bikes. 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by guppy View Post
    I was at jiaoji lu and got a few quotes.

a 125cc without plates is 2000 with 200 for plates elsewhere.

I have no idea who is quoting you prices for plates at Jaoji Lu but they are lying. I'm certain that any plates you buy from them will be fake. Real plates cost between 7000 and 48000. You will need a legal fapiao (good luck getting that at Jaoji Lu), then your scooter has to be inspected and photographed by the police, finally the plates have to be registered under your driving license. Look at the post by Euphonius where he describes getting his JH600 legally plated. I'm uncertain regarding the legal status of blue plates in Shanghai, but I know they will have to be issued by the police, not a dealer at Jaoji Lu.

Fake plates, regardless of the "A, B, or C" designation should be no more than 200 RMB. Beware, driving with fake plates leaves you vulnerable to all manner of trouble should you be pulled over by the police or get into an accident. Look through the posts on this board for examples of sad stories.

4. #4 Re: newbie tired of electric bikes. 
    C-Moto Noob
    thanks for your reply, will be at Jiaoji lu next few days when the weather is better. Amazing place! I had to ask my partner to stop me from any impulse buys. I saw a few kymco bikes in the showroom there which seem quite nice, are they any good? I am looking for something reliable and quiet. High speed isn't a concern so something about 50km/h would be more than enough. If theres no need for a driving license for blue plates, I can bring a shanghainese friend and have the bike permit and blue plates tagged under him. In case you are wondering why I am not asking them, they told me theres no need for anything at all.

What about blue plates that range from 1000 -27000, Need a license for it? Or LPG ( i am ok if it is 2000 -3000 rmb before they are scrapped in a year) or smaller cc bikes that are street legal without a license at jiaoji lu? Can someone please point me in that direction while I try to get a license for a larger cc bike?

5. #5 Re: newbie tired of electric bikes. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi

I have bought a LPG bike for 4000 and as it is its already so much convenient than the electric bikes
    Last edited by guppy; 02-24-2012 at 10:29 PM.

6. #6 Re: newbie tired of electric bikes. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Yes,you purchase scooter,you should pay taxes in your government and passing it in your country in this way you ride foreign scooter.You take permission in your goverment.

7. #7 Re: newbie tired of electric bikes. 
    C-Moto Noob
    there is no taxes unless you are talking about those levied on the gas?

8. #8 Re: newbie tired of electric bikes. 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by guppy View Post
    Hi

My e scooter spoilt on me and I am tired of charging them everyday. I do not have a foreign scooter license but would like to be legal as possible.

I am looking for a scooter. I do not mind paying for the legal plates so long as I can sell it next time. I see that theres a petrol scooter that is labelled as 35cc Or 48cc would I have problems with the police. I stay near portman ritz carlton so its quite centralised with traffic police here and there.

What should I do? I tried registering for scooter learning license but was told that its a waitlist of 6 months. My bike is spoilt and I am comtemplating getting a eletric or gas one. Winter is coming and the performance for electric bikes really drops.

Lots of options available in scooters. However, the main problem is a driving license. It is very necessary for buying a petrol vehicle. In your case, you had got tired of charging your scooter then you should have to try some new product, which has longer battery life. Today it is not a big challenge to find a perfect match in automobiles.