Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Warning

1. #1 Warning 
    Please don't take this as coming from a "know it all" BUT.

WARNING

Important note to new bike owners. (Not just Chinese bikes but all bikes)

PUT THE BIKE TOGETHER AS DELIVERED, RIDE IT FOR A WHILE, AND CHECK IT OUT COMPLETELY BEFORE STARTING MODIFICATIONS.

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING WORKS.

DON'T OVER TORQUE FASTENERS.

DO ONE MOD AT A TIME. CHECK YOUR WORK BEFORE CONTINUING.

Several people here have made a lot of mods without even riding the bike as stock and the mods had to be backed off in order to trouble shoot the problems. This happened big time to a guy with a Qlink XF200 and he started bad mouthing the bike immediately. All the problems were user caused.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

2. #2 Re: Warning 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Very good advice!

And also useful for troubleshooting. With my JH600B (stalling issue), I tried to convince the Service Center to proceed one step at a time (e.g., replace ONLY the ECU, then let's try it out ... didn't work? OK, back to original ECU and let's replace the next part, etc., etc., etc). The Service Center thought I was crazy and wasting their time. They replaced everything in one go, so I have no idea if it was just one thing, or possibly what combination, that seems to have "sorta" reduced the stalling issue.

And those torque specs are there for a reason. I almost went completely ape-shit at a "mechanic" changing the oil on a new Harley. Reinserting the drain plug, he put a box-end on it and then started using his leg/foot to "make sure it is tight". Fortunately (as well as could be in the circumstances), the "master mechanic" forgot to put the crush washer on ... and my shouting stopped him mid-way through his pounding kicks. Idiot.

3. #3 Re: Warning 
    Great advice, although I think I'd go a bit further than that for a Chinese bike.
    PUT THE BIKE TOGETHER AS DELIVERED,
    every bolt on the bike should then be checked re-thread-locked and re-torqued before the first ride, then...

RIDE IT FOR A WHILE, AND CHECK IT OUT COMPLETELY BEFORE STARTING MODIFICATIONS.

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING WORKS.

DON'T OVER TORQUE FASTENERS.

DO ONE MOD AT A TIME. CHECK YOUR WORK BEFORE CONTINUING.

4. #4 Re: Warning 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Great advice, although I think I'd go a bit further than that for a Chinese bike.
    every bolt on the bike should then be checked re-thread-locked and re-torqued before the first ride, then...
    +1
    although agree with all the posts... TIC! oh and LJH, you can add an 's' on the end of the last word of your sentence... for the plural all encompassing option....