Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: 110 Sumoto

1. #1 110 Sumoto 
    Master of Thump
    Howdee ,
    My neice has an ATV I am starting to work on soon . Her dad died this last
    month , heart failure at 42 .
    ANyway, we discovered her 110 Sumoto ATV in her dads garage he bought for her , brand new never riden , bought from some powersports shop here in Washington , the name eludes me this morning ?
    Anyway, it was caught up in this Winters Floods here in Washington, water over the engine and tires in the garage of his house . When i went to load it in the trailer to take it to her Grandpa's house to start working on it , it was in gear . I took it out of gear and it wouldn't roll on all four wheels,. just three . Obviusly it was locked up from water to the brake drum in the right front. I turned the key thinking I was going to get nothing, but the gear indicator lights went on ! I did not try to fire it because of water in the oil, most likely, haven't checked that yet, but wasn't willing to just hit the starter button just to see if it would fire . Not a good thing to do with water in the case or carb , or with six month old sludgy gas .. If there is a bunch of water in it, i would like to keep it off the clutch as long as possible or at all .
    Anyway , so going to start the work on it to get it going for this little 13 year old girl so she can have something of her Dads still and to get her passion for bikes going stronger as she already loves to ride , anything .
    Cool project , and will post some before and during and after shots for sure .
    I was really surprised the thing had power to it after sitting since January when the floods hit here ? The river that flooded is fresh water , so there is little to no rust even, not even on the chain , it must have been greased up in China or by the dealer really well . It is covered in a thin layer of soft powdery dirt from the river silt , but that's it .

Wish me luck , I may just need it . Plus its kinda an important ATV to get going .
    If the engine is fried I promised her I would donate one of my Lifan Race Motors to her ATV anyway . I will certainly see this youngster ride soon reguardless, but it would be very cool to just change oil, clean carb out and fire it up ? And of course a lube job its filthy !

Keep ya posted in the following weeks ,
    Cheers, Snortin

A worthy and challenging project! I've never worked on an ATV and would like to see how the process differs. Wouldn't it be easier to work on it at your place?

Definitely keep us up to date with the progress...and some pics too to see what the flood damage looks like.

Paz,
    CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Hi Crazy Carl 
    Master of Thump
    Well yeh, it would be much easier to work on at my place , but I have NO room left, I am at breaking point with my own crap as it is Crazy Carl .
    Plus her Grnadpa has a few Barns tha the houses all the other ATV's , tractors, Tillers, other misc farm implements , so it is anatural there to have it there, as that is where she will ride almost 100% of the time anyway . He has 20 acres of land for her to abuse too .
    Tha tlittle 110 looks allot like Jims new ATV just a bit smaller and Blue plastics .
    I too have little experience with ATV's , just my gals Roketa Racer , but its just a cycle engine with reverse and four wheels , so its about the same thing really .
    I work on her Grandpas farm house so am over there often, so will get osme work in soon on it , with pics....

Thanks for the post reply, Snortin Norton out

That's sad news about her dad, but good luck with the project Kelly :)

EDIT: Does it look like this one? http://www.coasttocoastmotorsports.c...fm?dapic=16334

5. #5 Thanks Jim 
    Master of Thump
    Thanks Jim ,

Snortin Norton out

Honorary C-Moto Guru
    If the engine happened to have its valves closed when it was garaged, the chances are that there won't be any water inside. Don't turn it over without checking this, as you'll get hydraulic lock in the cylinder if any water is trapped there. As water is incompressible you can do a lot of damage, like bending the connecting rod.
    Remove the plug and turn it over, observing to see if anything comes out and empty the sump into a container where you will see if any water appears with the oil.
    Same with the carb, drain it using the drain screw and see if there's any water there as well.
    Assuming it's a Honda Cub-derived horizontal engine, the left hand cover where the magneto is situated has no sealing gasket as the magneto runs in the dry. Not on oil like other engines. The trouble is that water may get into this cover and flood the magneto. Remove cover and check. If there's moisture there leave it open for a while to dry.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY