Well, here is the story:
A foreigner, and well know member of this forum, let's call him "Mr. X", had a bike trip outside of Shanghai this week.
On the riverside road, without too much traffic, and on the opposite side, he watched an e-biker all of a sudden making some strange moves.
The e-biker finally fell with his bike, face down, and did not move. Upon getting closer, there was blood on his body.

Mr. X stopped his bike, sat down, tried to turn and lift the guy, only to notice he had passed out.
So he stepped on his bike again, drove to the toll station in the proximity, got (after lots of talk and language-confusion) the police officer convinced to follow him by car, and finally got the poor e-biker loaded into the car and taken care of (or not...).

In good spirits Mr. X rode home, only to be met by his Chinese GF, who got insane at him after he told her that he helped the poor guy who fell of his bike.
He was clearly told never ever to come even close to such a person in the future, let alone help.
Then, the following days, he was told again and again the same "never do that again" by his Foreign and Chinese friends and colleagues.

This morning, he visited my place, and I found myself telling him exactly the same as well, even before I learned that all of his friends and GF had told him so.

However, after thinking a bit more today, I start to doubt myself.
Are we sunken soo deep that this is what we think and do? Is this society so much affecting us as well?
Or did I make a mistake by advising him the way I did, and should I follow his example of being a good Samaritan the next time I see something bad happen (probably tomorrow morning ?

PS.
I have had an accident, with 50/50% responsibility, was tried to be screwed, and only finished that case in court after >1 1/2 yr.
I have seen first hand how the victim, his family, and the free lawyer tried all means to get me pay more then even the Chinese law requires.
Pretty nasty stuff.