Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Are we good Samaritans? 
    Well, here is the story:
    A foreigner, and well know member of this forum, let's call him "Mr. X", had a bike trip outside of Shanghai this week.
    On the riverside road, without too much traffic, and on the opposite side, he watched an e-biker all of a sudden making some strange moves.
    The e-biker finally fell with his bike, face down, and did not move. Upon getting closer, there was blood on his body.

Mr. X stopped his bike, sat down, tried to turn and lift the guy, only to notice he had passed out.
    So he stepped on his bike again, drove to the toll station in the proximity, got (after lots of talk and language-confusion) the police officer convinced to follow him by car, and finally got the poor e-biker loaded into the car and taken care of (or not...).

In good spirits Mr. X rode home, only to be met by his Chinese GF, who got insane at him after he told her that he helped the poor guy who fell of his bike.
    He was clearly told never ever to come even close to such a person in the future, let alone help.
    Then, the following days, he was told again and again the same "never do that again" by his Foreign and Chinese friends and colleagues.

This morning, he visited my place, and I found myself telling him exactly the same as well, even before I learned that all of his friends and GF had told him so.

However, after thinking a bit more today, I start to doubt myself.
    Are we sunken soo deep that this is what we think and do? Is this society so much affecting us as well?
    Or did I make a mistake by advising him the way I did, and should I follow his example of being a good Samaritan the next time I see something bad happen (probably tomorrow morning ?

PS.
    I have had an accident, with 50/50% responsibility, was tried to be screwed, and only finished that case in court after >1 1/2 yr.
    I have seen first hand how the victim, his family, and the free lawyer tried all means to get me pay more then even the Chinese law requires.
    Pretty nasty stuff.

2. #2 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    Interesting post.Time and time again I am told I am not the world police.Mind my own business by family and friends and there probably right "when in Rome".

Interestingly the Chinese bring up that case regarding the 2 year old being left dieing on the road and how they would of helped.I just say" yeah right".

One has a moral compass just depends which way it points.

I believe in Karma or at the very least if it is you or I in need of help hopefully some one will help out .What goes around comes around.
    Last edited by bigdamo; 10-30-2011 at 01:28 PM.

3. #3 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    Alas a minority of people have a 'sociopath like' attitude to the rest of the world, sometimes they show love and generosity towards their own family and even sometimes colleagues and former school mates. However strangers are there to be screwed over and lying or blaming someone else for money is just considered as 'good business sense' and morality doesn't really enter their minds.

I also have a horrible suspicion that some people may be crossing the road incompetently, letting their toddler run free without supervision or their expensive dogs roam free more willingly as they will 'get a nice little compensation payout' should the worse happen.

So honestly, and with sadness really you just can't get involved in these things, if you do you are gambling with your money, time and wellbeing. Hopefully the law can be clarified one day and people can be able to help each other without fear of blame.

4. #4 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    Good for you Mr X, and shame on your GF and co. for taking a cowardly stance on what is essentially a good ol' moral panic.

5. #5 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    People seem to follow the "don't get involved if it isn't your business, otherwise it may get you in trouble" principle - obviously out of bad experience.

I drove my car on a expressway just outside Beijing last year, when I witnessed an accident just half a km ahead. A Jinbei minibus hit the center guardrail and toppled over. I was preparing to stop when my three Chinese colleagues shouted at me and convinced me to move on. Later they said that the guys from that car may tell police that I caused them to crash, particularly because I am the Laowei.
    I also was told by my Chinese riding buddies not to stop at the scene of an accident for the very same reason and that it may be a staged incident and people are going to rob you.

I was never tempted to find out though.

Sadly, this is China.
    Andy

6. #6 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    this is a real shame over here in the UK the bikers are so friendly to each other especially if someone runs out of fuel, and fi your having a running problem they will even follow you to the garage to make sure you get there safely with no further problems, when i went back to hong kong i found so many people consistantly going people who own motorbikes arent nice people. iv only had one incident when peopel havnt been friendly to me saw a few people admiring my bike then they tried to steal the keys off me thankfully i was near a sports bar and a load of guys came out to help me out

7. #7 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    This is a really tough question...

After 9 years in China, experiencing 1st hand or seeing, or hearing this "blame the good samaritan to get compensation money", I unfortunately developed a very distrustful or suspicious mindset in case of an accident.
    And I'll describe myself as deeply caring for the others, always aware not to disturb, block or cheat (in a queue, etc.) someone. Since I arrived in China in 2002, I refused to get used to people trying to cheat you, trying not to queue, etc. because in my mind, if I accept this, I'm becoming one of them, it would be the sign for me to really scramble out of this country. So yes, i get upset regularly with what I call "daily incivilities".

My point is that I will not be able not to help someone who clearly is in pain, or bad shape or severely wounded, as otherwise I would throw up looking at myself in a mirror.
    That being said, I will be very very very distrustful and wary of what can happen next. This means for example : if there's an accident, try to look if there's a traffic webcam who could support your claim if the victim is accusing you, or if no camera trying to call the police for help, but maybe after it's done and they start to really take care of the wounded (police on site, ambulance, etc.) scrambling away to try not to be sued for compensation even though I did nothing, etc. .

It kills me to have developed this suspicion, but at least I know I will not just walk away. If I can sum it up in one sentence : Good samaritan, but not stupidly naive either.
    And that with the current state in China, I would kick my own balls if I get sued while being a good samaritan....

8. #8 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    He did the right thing.. Good on Mr X..
    Here is one of ours.. We were on our way to Jiangxi for a few days and on the road we passed a woman, topless and obviously of diminished mental abilities. The problem was she had a great body and a cracking pair of tits. Now I was considering stopping and giving the woman a spare T shirt but then I remembered what it is to be a good samaritan and drove on leaving her where she stood and remembering those gorgeous melons.
    I guess you are asking how this could be an act of a good samaritan? Well.. it's obvious.. Apart from my mates there would be hundreds and hundreds of men driving along that road. It would be so cruel to deprive them of such a lovely pair of jugs..

9. #9 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    Jeez.. I just remembered earlier this year.. Got my draggie custom back from a complete rebuild (they don't fit under trucks that well.. and always remember.. when a truck leaves you no choice.. STEP OFF THE BIKE and roll..).. I was out in the countryside in the middle of nowhere when I realised that my tank was already on reserve.. It is easy to find this out when... well when you think the main tank has run out and you want to switch over to.... bugger!!!!!
    Anyway.. In the middle of nowhere..scorching hot.. A local guy on his little 125 saw my plight and between the two of us we got a litre of gas, enough to get me the 10 or so kliks down the road to the next gas station. Did he want any money? NOPE.. did he want anything for his help.. NOPE.. blow me down and call me Mary.. he was actually a real, good samaritan...

10. #10 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    This is a good subject.. We should all do our best (god that sounds so chinese) to help others whenever we can. If only to make sure they are no longer in any danger. People do appreciate it and it can and does save lives.. Even if it is to stop at an accident that had just happened to ask if everyone is okay and need help.. Remember.. Most people here have no ability do do CPR.. it is so simple and I would feel (especially at my age!!) a lot more comfortable in a country where I felt people were prepared to jump in and save a life or so. The two van kid is a classic example.. If someone had at least sopped the traffic after the first van that little girl may have stood a chance... It's not acceptable to stand back and watch or to be scared of helping for fear of the consequences. This summer whilst out in the surf I pulled a drowning man out, gave him a kick start on the sand and carried on surfing. From what you guys are saying I should have let the poor sod drown..... Nah.. that's not in my blood.. Shame he wasn't a sexy chick though.. could've had a free grope on the way out of the surf................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast