Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    I had a strange thought last night.

As human being, stripping off all human aspects, we are animal, being.

So we need food, drink to sustain life,
    we need clearly defined territory space - most of fight cause
    we should have private stuff which only belong to one being.
    One being should be free. e.g Wolf form a pack because they take down large prey easier than alone. They join a pack not because of submissive to large wolf.

How chinese is met the animal need? Shouldn't they start to think about how to get those needs first, before they are consider as human being.

In my opinion, the bad consequence (moral decline bla bla bla) is because of against nature.

p.s. I just learn Samaritans is a charity not religious. But would those guys do that if they could end up hurting themselves.
    Last edited by td_ref; 11-15-2011 at 08:15 AM. Reason: grammar spelling
    同志仍需努力

2. #12 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    Maybe I am not in the country long enough but I am surprised that someone is even asking whether it is ok to help a suffering/injured person or not. Of course it is OK! It is not only OK, it is the thing that has to be done. I, for once, don't even want to think about how I lie on the road after an accident and all passers-by just don't give a shit.
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

3. #13 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsims View Post
    The problem was she had a great body and a cracking pair of tits
    Thanks ... I just spit my afternoon tea all over my screen from laughter .......

4. #14 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    Quote Originally Posted by fahni View Post
    Maybe I am not in the country long enough but I am surprised that someone is even asking whether it is ok to help a suffering/injured person or not. Of course it is OK! It is not only OK, it is the thing that has to be done. I, for once, don't even want to think about how I lie on the road after an accident and all passers-by just don't give a shit.
    Well, I guess you are indeed not long enough here.
    Sorry to disappoint you, but you WILL BE laying on the road, without most likely anyone helping you ....
    And if you help, there is a chance you got sued, although I guess it is a small one.
    If you are part of the accident, you will be screwed most likely.

That is the whole point of the original post, considering all those drawbacks and riskes, seems not many people are those Samaritans.
    I just saw a movie of a woman jumping off a bridge into 6 lane traffic, filmed by the dash-recorder in a car.
    Needless to say it recorded only cars slowing and stopping to watch her laying on the pavement, then speeding away.
    Wrong or wrong, it is common practice here.

5. #15 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    I am totally aware of what is going on in China. Part of my job is to monitor chinese and foreign language media so I followed the discussions about people being sued when they helped elderlies and the outcry after the hit-and-run case in Foshan.

I have heard about the consequences of helping victims in China but fortunatly did not have to fac them so far. Still, the fact that we help others and care about them is what makes us human. I don't want to go into detail about the hundreds and thousands of years of philosophical discourse about this issue. But after all, the golden rule stands and is basically part of every major religion/philosophy: Act upon others like you want others to act upon you.

Drive by a dying person and you just might as well run over it.
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

6. #16 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    I just saw on TV1 a show called legal report. This episode of the show was on this very topic.

Basically the police and gov are trying to get more Chinese to stop and render assistance to people involved in traffic accidents.

If you help someone make sure there are cameras around that are filming the accident.

Wow some people where taking big hits on the show.

Some people helped others didn't.

7. #17 Re: Are we good Samaritans? 
    From CNN:

China on route to see its first Good Samaritan law

Posted: 1459 GMT
    When it comes to Good Samaritans in China, “to be or not to be” is a constant struggle.
    If you are among the many residents who worry about becoming a victim of fraud after helping people in need, we’ve got some good news for you.

China is preparing its very first Good Samaritan law to protect bystanders who choose to rescue a stranger in distress. According to Guangzhou Daily, officials in the southern city of Shenzhen are soliciting public opinions on a draft of a local Good Samaritan regulation designed to encourage altruism.

The draft follows the tragic death of Yue Yue, a two-year-old girl who was ignored by passers-by as she lay dying in a busy street in October. Graphic footage of the toddler’s death triggered widespread discussion of the “prevalent apathy” in Chinese societies. Many called for a new law to tackle the culture of avoidance and eliminate scams to accuse well-intentioned citizens.
    Shenzhen became the first to react.

The draft frees 'Good Samaritans' from legal liability for the condition of the person they help, except in the case of gross negligence. The burden of proving any negligence would rest with the rescued party. Click herefor more details on the law, including criminal prosecution for fraud and government compensation for rescuers.

As with all major announcements, netizens are buzzing with opinions on China’s most popular micro-blogging portal Sina Weibo. While many supported the draft, some acknowledged the unfortunate necessity for a Good Samaritan law in China. One user, @YiWuZhiMing (以吾之螟), commented: “Given the current social norm in China, perhaps establishing a legal statute is the only way to protect the remaining conscience and morality here.”

Another user hoped the law could shape a better China. @2010GuYue (2010古月) wrote: “The tragedy of Chinese education! I fully support the Good Samaritan law: it is acceptable to not leave your name after doing good deeds, but it is never acceptable to be wrongly accused. We cannot let our future generations think that it is difficult to be a decent person.”

However, not all are in favor of a Good Samaritan law. Some netizens argued the measure could never resolve China’s deeply rooted problem. @QingFengZaiQi (清风再起) lamented: “Broken system, demoralized society, fallen ethics, forgotten faith. No matter how many laws are implemented, it’ll be useless.”

Despite these two camps of online voices, a majority of netizens seemed to resonate with @zslinli00’s sentiment: “Although a Good Samaritan regulation has positive implications, it is rather saddening that our country needs a formal law to encourage moral acts. Our ethics have deteriorated to such a low. Where did conscience and morality go? I wish this law will lead to more decent citizens and eliminate those with ill-will.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12