Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Fred's YBR 250 ;-)) 
    Ok, as I texted to Soberpete this afternoon, I'm now officially a pedestrian !
    I just sold the bike + Hu A plates. Being quite secure with my manhood, I have no problem admitting that it was tough to let it go...
    I didn't expect that as I usually don't get attached to a machine, but this time was different, certainly due to the awesome trip we did with it.

Anyway, it was perfect all the way of the 16,000km I put on it in 8 months. I really recommend the YBR 250 to anyone wanting to have a bike in China, for commuting or even touring : I personally do not think you need a bigger displacement here (how fast can you go anyway safely on chinese roads ? Except if you take the expressways often, as we discussed with Euphonius last night).

Cheers,

Fred

2. #32 Re: Fred's YBR 250 ;-)) 
    I imagine it must feel like breaking up with a longtime girlfriend, or saying goodbye to an old friend...
    There is only one solution. You have to drown your sorrow in alcohol.
    Take your riding one day at a time. Enjoy it like a newbie and hope to never get complacent...

3. #33 Re: Fred's YBR 250 ;-)) 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by DipStick View Post
    I imagine it must feel like breaking up with a longtime girlfriend, or saying goodbye to an old friend...
    There is only one solution. You have to drown your sorrow in alcohol.
    Or you could get a new girlfriend...

jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #34 Re: Fred's YBR 250 ;-)) 
    Storage where the tank usually goes? Neat idea! You would have to get used to the new centre of gravity, though.
    Take your riding one day at a time. Enjoy it like a newbie and hope to never get complacent...

5. #35 Re: Fred's YBR 250 ;-)) 
    By the way, speaking of YBR250, I've been having this problem lately where I'm having a real hard time finding neutral. It seems like it was much easier in the first week I had the bike, a few weeks ago. My mileage is still very very low: a little more than 200km. Could this be related to the breaking in? Or is it just a matter of adjustment of the gear selector? Or maybe something more serious?
    Of course, I would mention it when I take it for servicing at 1,000km, but if this gets worse, I will go right away to get it checked out. My mechanical knowledge being somewhat limited, I would appreciate views. Pete, Fred, others?

Thanks!

6. #36 Re: Fred's YBR 250 ;-)) 
    Young bike and new rider both breaking in. Different oils will have a different effect on shifting smoothness. I find that after every oil change my ability to find neutral from first gear changes, slightly by perceptibly.

I would not wait till 1000km to do your first oil change.

Cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

7. #37 Re: Fred's YBR 250 ;-)) 
    Aargh, I should come more frequently to check on the forum !

Jeff, yeah, this is the one I was telling you about, nice huh ? I'll be travelling in Europe a lot with it, you can bet on it !

Dipstick, Jeff is right again : oil, oil and oil again ! On the YBR 250, even after the breaking-in, and every time I reached close to 2,000km on the same oil, the gear selector was stiffer and stiffer, the neutral being difficult to find. As soon as you change the oil (Yamalube, not Honda oil), it becomes much smoother again, butter-like, and it is a pleasure to shift gear !
    As you're still in break-in period, change the oil before 1,000km, and once more after. After that, every 2,000km is enough.

8. #38 Re: Fred's YBR 250 ;-)) 
    In other words, change the oil at 500km, 1,000km, 1,500km, 3,500km, 5,500km, 7,500km etc, etc?
    I might do the 4th one at 2K just so that the next ones are 4K, 6K, 8K.... Rounder numbers are easier to remember, no?

9. #39 Re: Fred's YBR 250 ;-)) 
    Dear DipStick,

If you are having problems shifting right now, there's no point in waiting till 500km to do your first oil change. Just do it now. And check to see if you have a magnetic drain plug, which will help isolate any metal filings that come loose as the engine settles in.

And get yourself a logbook where you can keep records of all your service, including oil changes. I even do this to keep track of fuel efficiency. A written record will unburden you of the need to remember round numbers! It also will help you keep track of the bike's performance, and will give you an excellent record when the time comes to sell the bike.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

10. #40 Re: Fred's YBR 250 ;-)) 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DipStick View Post
    In other words, change the oil at 500km, 1,000km, 1,500km, 3,500km, 5,500km, 7,500km etc, etc?
    I might do the 4th one at 2K just so that the next ones are 4K, 6K, 8K.... Rounder numbers are easier to remember, no?
    mate, it's 2012 and not 1912 anymore, nowadays premium engine oils can take some serious abuse, just half the service intervals after the initial 1000k service.
    meaning, bike manufacturer says 12000k's, do a oil and oil filter change at 6000k's, thats what I do with motorbikes for a very long time........

-changing engine oil every 500k's might wear out the oil sump plug quickly-

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast