Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    Around here being in a 3rd tier city it only costs about 500RMB to plate a bike and barely 100RMB for the minimal insurance, yet only about 50% of the Chinese bikes you see on the road are plated and with the riding 'enthusiasts' about 20% have a plate and 50% of those are very likely fake. Loads of Chinese riders ride their Jialing 125cc 'cabbage' dirt bikes, which cannot be plated as they are a group of self assembled parts (3-4000RMB), unless they are the 7000RMB factory version. Or come in the souped up scooter variety. Even about 70% of the foreigners who have ridden here have been illegal, but 80% are on at least legally plated bikes. Illegal Chinese riders are often seen not even wearing helmets. Their rationalizations are quite nutty, 'everyone does that so why should I be different' being number one. There are quite a few legal riders these days and they ride on Qianjiang 150cc bikes or Yamaha YBR125.

I have mixed feelings about illegal riders.

In some ways I'm sympathetic:
    1. The insurance is a bit of a joke, you'll pay anyhow.
    2.Lights are set up stupidly by the police, many people go through red lights, but actually yield to other vehicles, treating it as a normal intersection rather than slavishly waiting there an eternity.
    3. I rode without a Chinese license for many years, because I already had a license from another country, stupidly not recognized in China, a country with much lower riding standards, anyone here for a year or two could be forgiven in my view for not running out and getting a Chinese license, that is if they have already taken a test someplace else.
    4. Some legally imported big bikes pre 1998 were 'illegalized' and the plates pulled by police, I have sympathy with the owner of one of these machines to screw the rules and just keep riding it.
    5. Some of the costs in some provinces and cities are ridiculously expensive.

In some ways unsympathetic:
    1. You are a guest in China, surely just follow the rules as they would be set out in your own country, stupid rationalizations. Or at least try and look legal.
    2. Many cheap big bikes are stolen from Hong Kong and then rebuilt by idiots. Seriously you must be some sociopath if you can live with riding someone else's ride. Not to mention the danger of poor assembly.
    3. We need legal riders to be a force to protect motorcycling in China. If we don't ride illegal bikes we get to complain about the erosion of motorcycling legality and legitimately press for some change, also the government gets more money from registrations and more demand for legitimately domestically manufactured and imported bikes, meaning that motorcycling be more likely to stay legal.
    4. Nothing will speed up bike bans quicker than swarms of souped-up scooters and dirt bikes without plates, and idiots night racing stolen illegal big bikes through city centers. Keep riding=keep legal.

2. #32 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    Agreed.
    It's not the price. Pricepoint is fine. It's all the obstacles they create.
    And, yes, there is always a solution. But I wish it wasn't me who has to come up with one, but the Chinese side.
    Anyways, my bikes are legal. Finally. And I like it better this way.

3. #33 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    C-Moto Regular
    What about this scenario. You have a legally registered motorbike, but keep it for recreational use on weekends only and/or have it safely locked up when you're not riding it. Since it's legal, it's expensive, and you go to great lengths to take care of the bike and deter locals from stealing it. Meanwhile, you also have an illegal scooter for zipping around the city and commuting to work. The scooter is not so expensive. You still take care of it and ride safely, but if a local stole the bike or the police confiscated it, then it wouldn't be the end of the world as you could always get another one.

As for gasoline, you fill up the legal bike with your legal plates, and then siphon some of the gas into the scooter.

For the most part, the bike is used for long-distance rides in and out of the city, and the scooter is used for commuting in the city.

4. #34 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
    For the most part, the bike is used for long-distance rides in and out of the city, and the scooter is used for commuting in the city.
    What's the point?

It's more likely to get into an accident and/or be stopped by police inside the city! The opposite for driving outside of the city!

Why not get legal scooter and illegal (not plated) bike for out of town use?
    Better, why not also get a legal scooter?

What's the point of getting DL and a legal bike, but still keep driving an illegal scooter? It's like buying an helmet but almost never wearing it! It's like your wife/gf getting pregnant from this one time you forgot to use a condom!
    Guess when you'll get into an accident? Exactly, when driving the illegal scooter AND without helmet!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

5. #35 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    so the question should be asked, would you normally condone such behaviour in your own country (operatibng a vehicle without the required drivers license? I know my answer would be... no, as getting caught or ina crash can have serious consequences! So why then do people feel they have some form of entitlement to do so in mainland China. If one is a foreigner then it is highly likely as such they have an educated background, or life experience or logic to help them make somewhat rational decisions in life. The other issue is as foriengers we are guests here, and should show more respect for the laws, despite what we see the locals doing... the proverb goes "if you saw one jumping off a cliff - would you follow?"
    Actually speaking about laws I don't feel as a guest. I pay taxes as every chinese does (for real???).
    And I don't see any moral issues about driving illegally. Actually I don't even see any differences: same crap bikes, inability to drive with common sense, useless insurance. What's the difference between legal and not legal?
    The only point to get legal is avoid troubles. if you're willing to take the risk just do it. (I don't).

6. #36 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_R
    Meanwhile, you also have an illegal scooter for zipping around the city and commuting to work. The scooter is not so expensive. You still take care of it and ride safely, but if a local stole the bike or the police confiscated it, then it wouldn't be the end of the world as you could always get another one.

As for gasoline, you fill up the legal bike with your legal plates, and then siphon some of the gas into the scooter.

I can see your point, but an illegal scooter is just that, illegal. Sure many people do it, but this is what these herd-like rationalizations are like. Really are the distances so vast the a bicycle couldn't be an option? Keep fit, healthy and slim so that when you do ride the legal machine you can go quicker and have more fun. I cycle all the time, because I love cycling. I ride motorcycles less often because they are faster and potentially more dangerous, being that I deliberately keep my motorcycle mileage down to about 10,000 kms a year. If I rode one motorcycle as often as I did my bicycle and motorcycle together I'd be doing 20,000-30,000 kms a year, less mileage, less risk.

7. #37 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    so the question should be asked, would you normally condone such behaviour in your own country (operatibng a vehicle without the required drivers license? I know my answer would be... no, as getting caught or ina crash can have serious consequences! So why then do people feel they have some form of entitlement to do so in mainland China. If one is a foreigner then it is highly likely as such they have an educated background, or life experience or logic to help them make somewhat rational decisions in life. The other issue is as foriengers we are guests here, and should show more respect for the laws, despite what we see the locals doing... the proverb goes "if you saw one jumping off a cliff - would you follow?"
    Interestingly three years ago when I wanted to get my license all the Chinese said why bother just ride illegally.Now they no why I pushed so hard to be legal after some foreigners had some accidents while being illegal and the drama it caused.

8. #38 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What's the point?

It's like your wife/gf getting pregnant from this one time you forgot to use a condom!
    Guess when you'll get into an accident? Exactly, when driving the illegal scooter AND without helmet!
    Totally agreed :)

9. #39 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Interestingly three years ago when I wanted to get my license all the Chinese said why bother just ride illegally.Now they no why I pushed so hard to be legal after some foreigners had some accidents while being illegal and the drama it caused.
    When I was getting my license here in Nanjing they said it at the local Police station: why get a license? It's just a motorbike, you're a foreigner. It was a revelation. I still got it, though.

10. #40 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Halt View Post
    Totally agreed :)
    I've only ever crashed when wearing my helmet and there has been no traffic around. I think not wearing my helmet and other road users keep me a bit more careful. Just saying... ;-)

Also... There's no debate. Wrong is wrong, no matter how much more convenient it might be. The amount of effort going into rationalising illegal riding is rediculous.

If you want to do the wrong thing, because its cheaper or you get beat down in your efforts to go legal, then fine. But let's not pretend it might be OK.... Haha

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast