2. #12 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Is a R9 a 90cc bike?
    +
    It's this, isn't it?

jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #13 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    C-Moto Noob
    How much does a tag cost, that it would make one chance such serious repercussions? Not being snarky , I really am curious about costs of things in China. Russ

4. #14 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    C-Moto Guru
    Depends on where you live. Shanghai A plate is 54000 last time I asked. C plate is upwards of 8000. Other provinces and cities vary. Also, there is the problem of registering an imported bike, or even one older than 10 years.

5. #15 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    Also, there is the problem of registering an imported bike....
    G'Day,

No problems at all to get legal Shanghai registration / plate for a legit import bike and have the bike registered in the owners name (Chinese / Foreigner).

6. #16 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Welcome NC-redleg

Two things need to be considered:

1) The bike has to be on an "approved list" of motorcycles for registration. Not many bikes are. It is a complicated issue, but relates primarily to emissions, as well as manufacturing/import taxes being paid.

2) Assuming the bike is "on the list", is a genuinely legal bike (i.e., not an illegally imported one), and it can be legally registered in your city of residence (some cities just say no to bikes), the tag price varies dramatically. In little towns, it may be as low as a few hundred rmb (about $20). In large cities, it can be very expensive (e.g., Shanghai is >50K rmb ... about $7,500 US; in Beijing it is about 20K rmb ... about $3,000 US). The reason the price is so high is because there are a fixed number of tags available in these major cities, and only in the secondary market (no new ones are being issued).

Bike registration/insurance is a whole different kettle of fish in China. It is complicated & expensive and, largely for that reason, many people opt to ride illegally.

In the past, the police largely ignored this "issue", but that has changed. Now, it has potentially quite serious consequences.

Those R9s are like mosquitoes in certain areas of Beijing (e.g., WDK) - annoying.

7. #17 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the welcome .I have started working on china scoots here in NC because no dealers will.Found this site and was grateful that I was actually learning some history about these various bikes from people who were dealing with them on their native soil.That is just unreal about the plates and insurance over there!So , what percentage of bikes on the road ,are actually registered and insured?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Welcome NC-redleg

Two things need to be considered:

1) The bike has to be on an "approved list" of motorcycles for registration. Not many bikes are. It is a complicated issue, but relates primarily to emissions, as well as manufacturing/import taxes being paid.

2) Assuming the bike is "on the list", is a genuinely legal bike (i.e., not an illegally imported one), and it can be legally registered in your city of residence (some cities just say no to bikes), the tag price varies dramatically. In little towns, it may be as low as a few hundred rmb (about $20). In large cities, it can be very expensive (e.g., Shanghai is >50K rmb ... about $7,500 US; in Beijing it is about 20K rmb ... about $3,000 US). The reason the price is so high is because there are a fixed number of tags available in these major cities, and only in the secondary market (no new ones are being issued).

Bike registration/insurance is a whole different kettle of fish in China. It is complicated & expensive and, largely for that reason, many people opt to ride illegally.

In the past, the police largely ignored this "issue", but that has changed. Now, it has potentially quite serious consequences.

Those R9s are like mosquitoes in certain areas of Beijing (e.g., WDK) - annoying.

8. #18 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    Plates. No plates. Fake plates.
    All depends on the city you're in.
    You buy a bike from the shop and have papers with it, you're good to go.
    You buy an illegal bike and it's just your skill + luck.
    You ride with plates - be ready to go by traffic rules and pay the taxes and all that.
    No plates - you'll be assumed guilty whatever happens.
    You choose.
    Then again, in some cities registtration isn't even 5000 yuan.
    Here in Nanjing it's 9000 - 12000 yuan. Something to consider, eh?

9. #19 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    Why you laowei come to my country you think you can driving illegal motorcycle around willy-nilly? You should buy black car for increase China economic. In fact, I should harmonize you with law, you American I think, you should drive Buick, why you waste money on motorcycle?

10. #20 Re: Fake plate/No plate experience and advice 
    Right that does it im off to get myself a big black shining audi then im never giving way to any motorcycle .,must obey leader

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast