Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 How much for mending a gas tank? 
    So I've got a leaky gas tank on my Jincheng 250cc, probably left over from a collision I had with a scooter a couple months back. Definitely not something to ignore (though I managed to for a couple weeks). Anyway, I've got someone who's going to take care of the welding for me and I just wanted to check around to see if I'm not getting ripped off. Does 400 RMB sound about right? It's hard to tell as it is pretty specific and specialized work, so I could probably understand, but I wanted to check first. Thanks in advance!
    CFMOTO 650TR

www.TheGreatRideOfChina.com
    "i never get lost because i don't know where i'm going"
    "一路春风,一路歌“

2. #2 Re: How much for mending a gas tank? 
    Yikes! Welding a gas tank not generally advisable.
    It is technically feasible by first pressurizing with inert gas, but...
    if you can find someone who knows what they are doing, I would still stand well back.
    I suggest JB weld or other epoxy fix. Otherwise a new tank should be around RMB400 anyway, I believe.

3. #3 Re: How much for mending a gas tank? 
    Ok yeah, great. I would take "weld" with a grain of salt as in in my mechanic used the Chinese character 焊 when describing the repairs that he was going to have someone help him with (since he apparently doesn't have the experience), and after translating the character apparently means weld. So, yeah. I'm assuming he'll just be 补-ing it in some form or another that will hopefully work. Good to know that 400 is probably around the right price range then. Such a pain. Stupid scooter just had to be going down the 6 lane road the wrong way at 40km/hr.
    CFMOTO 650TR

"一路春风,一路歌“

4. #4 Re: How much for mending a gas tank? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Bucko,

You collided with a wrong-way scooter at 40kph? How fast were you riding? I hope it was just the tank that got injured!

You OK?

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

5. #5 Re: How much for mending a gas tank? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Ok yeah, great. I would take "weld" with a grain of salt as in in my mechanic used the Chinese character 焊 when describing the repairs that he was going to have someone help him with (since he apparently doesn't have the experience), and after translating the character apparently means weld. So, yeah. I'm assuming he'll just be 补-ing it in some form or another that will hopefully work. Good to know that 400 is probably around the right price range then. Such a pain. Stupid scooter just had to be going down the 6 lane road the wrong way at 40km/hr.
    Did you try looking for a new gas tank on taobao? Is this your gas tank perhaps?
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

6. #6 Re: How much for mending a gas tank? 
    Luckily I wasn't moving at all, that's how I didn't see him at all. Was just pulling out of the driveway at my office looking at oncoming traffic and as I start pulling out and turning my head to check the other way, there was this guy (and his passenger) taking no efforts to slow down. The way they even described it to the cop that later came by was that I was just sitting there (to which the cop asked "well how did he hit you if he wasn't moving then?").

So yeah, I got out without a scratch pretty much. My bike wasn't so lucky, with the front fork bent beyond repair (had to get new front suspension), some broken lights, and apparently a crack in my gas tank. Took a while for the crack to loosen up which was lucky seeing as how it all held together after getting everything else patched up for my trip to Qingdao!

Appreciate the concern though! It's a risk we take riding around this crazy ass country, that's for sure.
    CFMOTO 650TR

"一路春风,一路歌“

7. #7 Re: How much for mending a gas tank? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Did you try looking for a new gas tank on taobao? Is this your gas tank perhaps?
    That looks like the one Barry, thanks! So I guess 400RMB if he gets the job done right is not a bad deal.
    CFMOTO 650TR

"一路春风,一路歌“

8. #8 Re: How much for mending a gas tank? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    That looks like the one Barry, thanks! So I guess 400RMB if he gets the job done right is not a bad deal.
    But if he doesn't do a good job, you've lost 400 already and might easily have to spend another 200 RMB. Just my opinion.

Perhaps try finding a JinCheng dealer/shop in BJ!
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

9. #9 Re: How much for mending a gas tank? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    But if he doesn't do a good job, you've lost 400 already and might easily have to spend another 200 RMB. Just my opinion.

Perhaps try finding a JinCheng dealer/shop in BJ!
    Oh for sure, but I trust my mechanic (as much as anyone would/should trust a mechanic, let alone one in China), and I'm pretty confident that if a problem arouse he would take care of it, or make sure the guy who did the work takes care of it. Either way, I would need their help for getting the gas tank on as well, and have to make sure I'm buying from a trustworthy seller on taobao. It's really always a risk one way or another here it seems.

As for dealerships here... there really aren't any such things around here. They had a motorcycle expo here in Beijing, I went by the stand at the show asking for a part (I think I just needed a grip) and they actually had to call and check with the factory somewhere in the south. It would've been at least a couple of weeks according to them before I got the grip.
    CFMOTO 650TR

"一路春风,一路歌“