Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Zero Motorcycles 2012 lineup - 100+ mile range, 80+ mph 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    zero1.jpg

Zero Motorcycles has launched its 2012 model line, a lineup that includes a revolutionary new powertrain, models capable of exceeding 100 miles range, a power pack designed to last the life of the motorcycle and top speeds of up to 88 mph.

Stealthy looking and contemporary, every model has been transformed to be faster, go further and, in the spirit of all two wheeled enthusiasts, to be more fun than ever before. Innovating at an exceptional pace, Zero Motorcycles plans to begin delivery of its complete 2012 model line in February 2012. This will mark the first time in transportation history that a mass production electric motorcycle capable of exceeding 100 miles range will be available for consumers to own.

Zero’s new Z-Force power pack uses a completely new battery cell chemistry and configuration that is up to 95 percent more energy dense and is rated to 3,000 complete charge cycles before hitting 80 percent capacity. This means that a Zero S could travel as much as 308,000 miles on its original power pack. All Zero’s on and off-road motorcycles leverage the new technology meaning that the power pack is designed to exceed the longevity expected of any conventional motorcycle. The result is a complete electric motorcycle line that offers owners exhilarating rides while saving on gas and virtually all routine powertrain maintenance.

“The 2012 model line is truly game changing. It marks the first time in history that riders can actually own an electric motorcycle that is capable of exceeding 100 miles of range on a single charge,” said Scot Harden, VP of Global Marketing of Zero Motorcycles. “Every model in the lineup goes faster, further and is more fun than ever before. These are not concepts. In less than three months, riders can see and purchase 2012 models at authorized Zero Motorcycles dealers.”

The Zero S, a street fighter, and Zero DS, a dual sport, are both available in a 6 or 9 kWh configuration. As measured by the EPA UDDS, the Zero S is capable of respectively achieving 76 or 114 miles. Both motorcycles offer a higher top speed, with the Zero DS hitting 80 mph and the Zero S topping out at 88 mph. Perhaps more importantly, both motorcycles offer a broad torque band and stealthy acceleration from 0 rpm that makes them incredibly fun to ride.

In addition, all the street models, including the Zero XU, feature new brushless motors and regenerative braking that allow riders to recoup energy during deceleration. The Zero XU, a motorcycle designed for inner city riding, now uses the same maintenance-free belt drive system as the Zero S and Zero DS. Brushless air-cooled motors, life of motorcycle power packs and belt drive systems make Zero’s lineup of street models just about the world’s easiest to own form of transportation.

If you are interested in opening up new off-road riding possibilities with a nearly silent dirt bike, Zero has two models that are better looking and faster than ever before to meet your needs. For 2012, Zero streamlined its off-road model line. The Zero X, designed for trail riding, is now exclusively available with lights and is street-legal. With 33 percent more overall power and 75 percent greater range, it now uses the same championship winning powertrain as the Zero MX. Built for motocross riding and now exclusively available for off-road only, the Zero MX also received more power and offers riders the ability to accelerate harder and hit higher top speeds. Both off-road models have a bold new design that speaks to their more aggressive and longer lasting powertrain.

Pricing information:
    Each Zero Motorcycles model is 100 percent electric and, as a result, is sometimes applicable to receive government rebates or credits. Zero sells its motorcycles through dealerships and, in states or countries without dealerships, sells motorcycles through its website. Each motorcycle comes with a two year limited warranty and will begin shipping in February. Zero and its dealers will accept pre-orders from customers who would like to secure a new 2012 electric motorcycle. The complete MSRP in US$ for each model is below.

• Zero S: (ZF6) $11,495*; (ZF9) $13,995*
    • Zero DS: (ZF6) $11,495*; (ZF9) $13,995*
    • Zero XU: $7,695*
    • Zero X: $9,945*
    • Zero MX: $9,495*

(*Does not include local shipping, applicable taxes, PDI, or road registration fees.)

source: dealernews.com

2. #2 Re: Zero Motorcycles 2012 lineup - 100+ mile range, 80+ mph 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Are these available in Ningbo yet?

While I bet these are fun to drive, and in fact they've invited me several times for a test drive during my visits to California, I think they are still not quite ready for prime time except perhaps for an urban daily commuter, given the range limitations. There are plenty of trips when I don't ride 160 km, but I'd hate to be always fretting about what's left in the "tank". How fast do they recharge?

Must also be very strange to have such power under you, yet almost no sound.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Zero Motorcycles 2012 lineup - 100+ mile range, 80+ mph 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    haha, yeah I wish... but since I owned and used several e-scooters here in PRC half a decade ago, I'm interested to see that there is some progression being made on the achievable distances. One of the main obstacles I always contended with. More than once I'd either have to push or get a van rescue the last 5km or so from home. I knew full well the range of my e-scoots, but I was always pushing for that little bit extra in my pursuit of searching out another hidden gem/destination. That was before anyone would even give me the time of the day when I inquired about Lithium batteries, though this has changed a great deal now.
    One thing that has always concerned me has been how quiet electric propelled vehicles are, none less so that here PRC. The horn button became my best friend while riding and I use them with gusto... it's saved my arse many a time.