Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: XTR Lowrider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 XTR Lowrider 
    2011-11-02_16-46-18_540 (800x449).jpg
    Hi all long time no see :)
    I was playing around with my old trusty XTR the other day changing the steering hear bearings and the shock ball joints, which i'm having trouble finding, anybody got any ideas where i can order some of these ball joints from??
    After stuggling around China on 3 or 4 bike trips I have realised that the Galaxy is just not up to the task of riding all day at a fast pace, so it is going to be my beach, track day and motocross bike from now on. I stripped everything off and was suprised at how much weight came off and how light it feels now, because i like playing about with it (my GF is a bit jealous) i will drop it for the beach, raise it a bit for the track and throw in the dirt wheels and raise it right up for offroad.
    If anyone has a spare old spring or shock i can buy send me a PM. The rest i can fabricate, adjust and raise the oil height.
    Single LED mountede behind a motox number plate and a tiny set of mudguards should make it look OK i think, what do you guys think??

cheers rich
    2011-11-02_16-46-26_507 (800x449).jpg
    Attached Images

2. #2 Re: XTR Lowrider 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I must admit...i sorta like it. But what about the sand...doesen`t it bother u that all te sand is getting into u`r back xD

3. #3 Re: XTR Lowrider 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob

4. #4 Re: XTR Lowrider 
    Richard, have you tried looking at Fastace suspension supposedly the best forks and rear shock manufacturer in china tehy even supply for the Shineray 250X2
    http://www.fastace.com/
    also i do really like the look of your XTR any chance of making it look like a old school scrambler?
    Triumph Scrambler.jpg

5. #5 Re: XTR Lowrider 
    Thanks Andre
    this guy has some hard to get parts, i will definatly save his address for later. in the meantime it is half way back to enduro trim after seeing how much fun your having with the trailer!!
    I should have it back up to full moto spec at the end of this weekend, then i'm comimg for a play :)

Thanks for the comment Kennon, i really like the look of old skool scramblers too.. like a mettise or a norton atlas but my riding style would really suit a USA flattrack bike here in China.
    I keep finding 500cc ads on b2b websites that look like the CCM or Puzey engines, now that would put a smile on my face :)

6. #6 Re: XTR Lowrider 
    Quote Originally Posted by bs8c View Post
    I must admit...i sorta like it. But what about the sand...doesen`t it bother u that all te sand is getting into u`r back xD
    thanks bs8c but i will put on a rear guard on very sandy days i should be ok
    IMAG1050.jpg

7. #7 Re: XTR Lowrider 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by richardktm View Post
    Thanks Andre
    this guy has some hard to get parts, i will definatly save his address for later. in the meantime it is half way back to enduro trim after seeing how much fun your having with the trailer!!
    I should have it back up to full moto spec at the end of this weekend, then i'm comimg for a play :)
    I will look for other links.
    MOVE YOUR ASS with that bike, last sunday we had the best ride EVER! Sand trails, dry stones trails, wet stones trails, mud trails, single track trails, riverbed crossings and great landscapes too. No 1 inch on pavement in the whole ride.

8. #8 Re: XTR Lowrider 
    ass is moving..I just watched the video so i'm now fully motivated.
    Spent most of today trying to finish the rear end.. with nothing attached to the swing arm it was pretty seized, very stiff to move either up or down, so after many years of bikes and many offroad bikes i tackled the WORST job ever on a bike.. the dreaded swinging arm rebuild.. ahhhh!!!!

How bad can it be I thought, no linkage, the shock bolts straight to the swing arm ala KTM, so just the main bolt to get out. Lucky chinaV gave me a spare swing arm bolt along with a box full of spares when i bought the bike as the first few tentative blows with the hammer resulted in.... nothing, didn't move a mm... hmmm

Ok time to get serious with a 1/2 inch drive extention and a 4lbs sledge hammer with a short handle and i got it out about 50mm cut off the bolt head with a grinder and smashed it back through the other way about 80mm and then ground off the other end the n hit it back inside the swing arm and got the swing arm off.. so far so good.

Now comes the fun part, trying to find needle roller bearings or xtr parts from taobao..

9. #9 Re: XTR Lowrider 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by richardktm View Post
    ass is moving..I just watched the video so i'm now fully motivated.
    Spent most of today trying to finish the rear end.. with nothing attached to the swing arm it was pretty seized, very stiff to move either up or down, so after many years of bikes and many offroad bikes i tackled the WORST job ever on a bike.. the dreaded swinging arm rebuild.. ahhhh!!!!

How bad can it be I thought, no linkage, the shock bolts straight to the swing arm ala KTM, so just the main bolt to get out. Lucky chinaV gave me a spare swing arm bolt along with a box full of spares when i bought the bike as the first few tentative blows with the hammer resulted in.... nothing, didn't move a mm... hmmm

Ok time to get serious with a 1/2 inch drive extention and a 4lbs sledge hammer with a short handle and i got it out about 50mm cut off the bolt head with a grinder and smashed it back through the other way about 80mm and then ground off the other end the n hit it back inside the swing arm and got the swing arm off.. so far so good.

Now comes the fun part, trying to find needle roller bearings or xtr parts from taobao..
    Pack it with waterproof grease before putting the new one. It actually should be done at least once per year, together with the linkages. Remove, clean, re-grease, re-mount.
    Make a list of the parts you need. I'll try to give you help in the research.

10. #10 Re: XTR Lowrider 
    Next time you find some seized bearings in your swingarm, keep your mouth shut. It gives some of us sleepless nights and then leads to marathon maintenance sessions.

My swingarm was OK, but I'm glad I got it done. Did find a bad bearing and bushing in the linkage, so I ordered a new one.

You coming this weekend?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast