Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Motorbike ride in China: informations for italian biker 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hellò, my name is Maurizio and i live in Italy.
    I'm the owner of a scooter Vespa PX 125 cc( over 100.000 km in Europe) and since 2008 of a Suzuki DR 350 that in 2008 and 2009 i've driven from Italy to Central Asia: Uzbekistan, Kazhakstan, Turkmenistan Khirgyzstan.
    In 2010 i've driven a Royal Enfield in India and this summer a Yamaha tXT in South Africa, Namibia and Zambia.

One of my dream is to can drive a motorbike in China: i've visited your country in 2005, Shangai, nanning, Chengdu Lasha and Beijing, but with trains and plane.
    Enter in China with the own bike i know that is difficult, but possible. The problem is the too much high cost: in general i know that you've got to buy a kind of "tour", with a chinese guide that follow you with a bike, following a planned route. This is out of my budget.

In 2009 i was at the border between Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan and i meet 3 french bikers, riding 3 chinese sidecar . They told me that they bought them in China, and after it was possible drive through China, without guide and just using the international licence of driving. At the border with Tajikistan they had'nt any kind of problem with custom. Everything was fine cause they are the owners and the sidecar wehre bought in China. They showed to me sidecar documents written in Chinese and Russian.

It is really possible do this ? For me is really really cheaper buy a fly to China and buy a little bike instead drive my bike from Italy to China: at the arrival in China i must spend money to send back my bike in Italy. For a ride like that i can get 30 day of vacation, not more. One way in 30 day is possible, go and back no.

Thanks for any kind of information or contact

Momi

Every big trip begin with a little step
    2008-Italy Central Asia http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391963
    2009-Italy-Central Asia http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536558

2. #2 Re: Motorbike ride in China: informations for italian biker 
    I bought a motorcycle in China and left it there since 2007. Till now, I am still riding it around China and not yet get tired about it.

3. #3 Re: Motorbike ride in China: informations for italian biker 
    So are you asking can you buy a bike in China and ride it through China and back to Italy in 30 days or Buy a bike in China and just ride around China in 30 days.

By the way Momi in Chinese is cat.Maybe you might try He Momi while in China.

4. #4 Re: Motorbike ride in China: informations for italian biker 
    China is a massive country and very mountainous, if you didn't want to take the Enfield out of India or bring your bike into India why do you want to take a bike into or out of China? Most Chinese 250cc singles would easily be able to hold their own with an Enfield, and be more reliable and be as easy to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by damo
    By the way Momi in Chinese is cat.
    I thought it was Mao (猫)?

5. #5 Re: Motorbike ride in China: informations for italian biker 
    Momi,

Obviously, your idea is to come to China with 30 days of vacation, buy a bike, ride across the country, and then sell the bike and fly home. It's a great idea, however there is one problem. The people you met in 2009 lied to you. It's not OK to drive around China on an international drivers license, what they did was completely illegal, and they were lucky they didn't end up in deep shit.

China doesn't want you here as a motorcyclist, and they could give a shit about your dreams of discovering this beautiful country via motorcycle. You have two choices:

#1 Spend a huge amount of cash with a reputable tour agent.

#2 Do it illegally.

Don't count on much help from people on this site if you want to go with option #2, the subject has been beat to death over and over and over and over again.

Good luck!
    ChinaV

6. #6 Re: Motorbike ride in China: informations for italian biker 
    Momi read this link:
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...rcycle-License

This means you need a license legally. It doesn't mean what you want to do cannot or even shouldn't be done.

7. #7 Re: Motorbike ride in China: informations for italian biker 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hellò guys: i've travelled in China for one month in 2005 and the last of idea that i want to consider is to do something illegally: i just wrote what they had told to me. I'm here to verify. I don't know if you live in China, or Hong Hong, if you are chinese or foreign people that works in China.
    I just know that buy a guided tour is out of my budget.
    What i can do is buy a ticket fly to China, buy a little but stron dirty bike and come back in Italy overland.
    I subscibed to this forum just to get informations and contacts.
    I don't own a Royal Enfield, but a Suzuki DR 350cc: i've rented the Enfield to can travel in India, cause the shipment of my bike was too much expensive.
    What i wrote is just what this french bikers told me: that's all ? True, false ? I don't know, for this reason i'm writing on this forum. I'm just searching for a way to can drive through China, without a guided tour : not possible ? It will reamain a dream.
    Any further suggestion will be appreciate.

Momi

P.S.
    Momi is my nickname. Since i was 3 years old, my little brother ( at the time 1 year old) had difficulty in pronounce MAURIZIO (my name) and so he began to say MOMI and this remain my "name".
    Travelling i realized that for a lot people Momi is easier to remember and say than Maurizio

8. #8 Re: Motorbike ride in China: informations for italian biker 
    Maurizio, with an international driving license you can ride in Hong, Kong and Taiwan, but not mainland China.

French bikers are wrong, an international driving license is not enough, you need a Chinese motorcycle license to ride in China legally. It sucks, but that is the law. However what would happen if you rode without a Chinese driving license? The worst that could happen is that they impound your bike, fine you and put you in a detention center for 7 days. However there is almost 0.1% chance of that happening outside of a very big city like Shanghai. You could bring your Italian Euro license and translate it into Chinese, and bring an International license, as they would be better than nothing and might help.

China is all about money, if you have that then you can pay any 'fine' you might get...usually.

9. #9 Re: Motorbike ride in China: informations for italian biker 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Maurizio, with an international driving license you can ride in Hong, Kong and Taiwan, but not mainland China.

French bikers are wrong, an international driving license is not enough, you need a Chinese motorcycle license to ride in China legally. It sucks, but that is the law. However what would happen if you rode without a Chinese driving license? The worst that could happen is that they impound your bike, fine you and put you in a detention center for 7 days. However there is almost 0.1% chance of that happening outside of a very big city like Shanghai. You could bring your Italian Euro license and translate it into Chinese, and bring an International license, as they would be better than nothing and might help.

China is all about money, if you have that then you can pay any 'fine' you might get...usually.
    Ok..this was more or less my idea: you always can find a way..with money: but what can happenend at the border China-Tajikistan ? Or probabily is possible "agree" with border police in the same way ?

10. #10 Re: Motorbike ride in China: informations for italian biker 
    I'm sure you can "agree" with the border officers, sometimes, other times you cannot, trying to make an "agreement' has some problems.

To enter China, maybe it's impossible, unless you put the bike in the back of a truck or use a guide company.

Leaving China is probably much easier, your paperwork can't be in order because if you are not a resident in China the bike will not be in your name, and you also won't have a Chinese motorcycle license, but not many people have 100% correct paperwork in China. So you might never be able to leave with the bike......on the other hand it could be easy. Also riding a motorcycle without a license could see you fined/deported/imprisoned, but this is very unlikely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast