Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 We're back...more Guangdong enduro 
    For most folks, the riding season starts in March/April and ends sometime in November. For those of us down south, November means prime enduro time. Summer is just too damn hot for shlepping through the jungle in full gear, so we welcome the cool dry air of late autumn.

You might remember how much fun we had during our rides last winter, which was followed by even more mayhem during the spring. One final shot as we finished off the season last May. It's hard to believe we found such good riding in the middle of so much urban sprawl.

My riding partner/neighbor, Andrea, and I, have pretty much exhausted all of the decent trails around our neighborhood, so we decided we needed to expand our horizons by heading north, near the city of ZengCheng. I scouted out some decent trail areas via Google Earth, and was pretty sure we would find some nice riding deep in the forest of central Guangdong. Plenty of mountains, with no major roads in this area, so there's a great mix of logging trails and technical single track to choose from.

Just one problem, there's 75 kilometers of concrete jungle between home and the trails, so we had a little project to deal with first. After a few phone calls and 5 weeks of waiting, I arrived home to find this.

Some assembly required, as the old saying goes.

Four hours later, we finally had ourselves a trailer.

Which can hold up to 3 bikes. (Do you hear that Ritch?)

And I even managed to get a nice hitch system that doubles as a bicycle rack.

Finally we were ready to venture out, so we loaded up...

Hit the road...

And headed to the trails.

Which turned out to be awesome.

It's going to take us months to explore all of the options here.

And a little reward after an incredible day of sweet enduro riding.

Stay tuned for some videos.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

2. #2 Re: We're back...more Guangdong enduro 
    C-Moto Guru
    Great pics as usual and thanks for rubbing it in. I was happy we still had a good saturday here in BJ, it got quite a bit colder after the weekend.
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

3. #3 Re: We're back...more Guangdong enduro 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #4 Re: We're back...more Guangdong enduro 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Holy shit. Holy shit. Holy shit.
    What, they don't have beer in Shanghai?
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

5. #5 Re: We're back...more Guangdong enduro 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    The only single track we have here is the space between vehicles while lane-splitting....

As for Tsingtao, the stuff we get here is made from only the finest Yangtze River water, i.e. 1/3 piss and 2/3 toxic sludge. I'd wager those cans of brine featured in V's report were made with only the finest Pearl River water, i.e., 1/3 piss and 2/3 toxic sludge.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #6 Re: We're back...more Guangdong enduro 
    C-Moto Senior
    It's been a while since I posted, this was too good to pass up! Amazing pics ChinaV!
    I have been checking up, I've just had nothing worth posting.
    Eupohnius, are you sure the Pearl isn't 2/3 piss and 1/3 sludge?
    Here in Taiyuan, I think the Fen is *somehow* 4/3 piss and 4/3 sludge.

7. #7 Re: We're back...more Guangdong enduro 
    ChinaV,
    That is a very nice trailer and that drop down makes loading a bit easier. Oh, and great photos as usual.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

8. #8 Re: We're back...more Guangdong enduro 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    GREEN with ENVY

Man, you are sooooooo lucky! Great toys, great location, great camera, great skills ...

But ... I noticed a few things in one of your pics ... (probably because I am feeling snarky at your good fortune!)

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    1. You are becoming a little too Chinese in your approach to mechanics. I see the stool is your table, and the cooler is your stool? Or maybe you prefer a "Chinese squat", allowing easy access to the cooler contents (appropriately placed in the middle of the workspace)

2. Glad to see that you have your laptop with easy access to MCM (although we can't see your screen to know what is REALLY being surfed).

3. Looks like a Harley rider paid you a visit and left a couple of puddles?

4. You are MUCH more skilled than I ... see that drainage grate? See all those nuts & bolts? If that was me, everything would somehow disappear down that grate.

And, last but not least ...

5. This picture can't really be in China ... where is the crowd of hundreds of "watchers" being amazed that a foreigner knows how to use a wrench????

Anyways ... absolutely fantastic pics that, once again, get us drooling enough for us to get off our butts and onto a bike!

Tx from chilly Beijing.

PS: I was going to comment that this pic also reminds me of getting my Jialing serviced ... "there, your trailer is ready to go! All fixed." ... but I think the JH600 crew is getting p'd at me, so I will remain quiet on that one.

9. #9 Re: We're back...more Guangdong enduro 
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    GREEN with ENVY
    How can you be green with envy, I think you still have more toys than I do.

1. You are becoming a little too Chinese in your approach to mechanics. I see the stool is your table, and the cooler is your stool? Or maybe you prefer a "Chinese squat", allowing easy access to the cooler contents (appropriately placed in the middle of the workspace)
    Don't pick on my stool. I've been using it for years as I'm unable to squat like those real mechanics you find in China, and I'm too lazy to go in the house for a cold one.

2. Glad to see that you have your laptop with easy access to MCM (although we can't see your screen to know what is REALLY being surfed).
    Nothing but trailer pics, we didn't get any assembly instructions from the factory, so we had to use their "visual aids" to figure it out.

4. You are MUCH more skilled than I ... see that drainage grate? See all those nuts & bolts? If that was me, everything would somehow disappear down that grate.
    Uhm, actually, a few things have gone down there. That's where we drain our oil, coolant and dispose of things like old paint and household chemicals.

5. This picture can't really be in China ... where is the crowd of hundreds of "watchers" being amazed that a foreigner knows how to use a wrench????
    Not to sound snooty, but this is why we choose to live in our neighborhood, it's mostly Hong Kong people, so it's very quiet and nobody ever bothers you. It actually cost less for a 4 bedroom house (with garage) than most people spend for a small apartment in Shenzhen.

Our Tsingtao is probably equal parts piss and toxic sludge, I can only pray that the water does not come from any river in the Pearl River Delta. However, you would be surprised how good the shit tastes when it's ice cold and you just finished 5 hours of enduro riding.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #10 Re: We're back...more Guangdong enduro 
    One thing I forgot to mention about the trailer.

I should say thanks to Morfar, because he was the first guy I saw with a trailer in China. You guys may remember that we talked about it here. I purchased from China Central Supply in Qingdao. Model #CT0302A, hot dip galvanized with 13” wheels. I got them to throw in an extra wheel. Lead time was 45 days. Unit price was ¥4700 + ¥450 for delivery to Guangdong.

Now I just need to make a lockable storage box for our petrol can and spare wheel. Maybe add a cool umbrella like Morfar did.

And if anyone is wondering, I don't think we've ever gotten clarification on if/how a trailer registration needs/can be done. We got a lot of strange looks from people as we drove, but none of the highway people seemed to mind.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast