Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: How to be prepared for a motorcycle accident in China 
    I can only add one very useful thing to do before anything else; Make pictures from every angle, and from both vehicles involved.
    Specially if they carry 153 water-bottles on a scooter, 5 people on a motorbike, or if the other parties bicycle is laying on the wrong side of the road (before they sneak it to the other side before the police arrives...).
    It saved me several times from nasty accusations, heck, I even got paid sometimes :)

2. #12 Re: How to be prepared for a motorcycle accident in China 
    Definitely some good tips and important for people to know here. I got into a minor accident myself earlier this year and wrote a blog post on how to deal with getting into a motorcycle accident in china for those who are interested. I think one of the important things about dealing with these types of issues in China in general and specifically with something like vehicle accidents is that there really are no set rules, it's more just a matter of knowing how to deal with the situations that come up and knowing what to expect.

One thing I would say about this list is to reiterate Fred's comment with regards to how much emphasis is put on money in this list of advice. For one thing, as Fred says, I generally don't like reinforcing the "He/she's a laowai so we can get money from them" and second, I think it leaves the foreigner in question extremely vulnerable to be taken advantage of (such as keeping your money in a plastic bag for everyone to see). Some of this also depends on the seriousness of the accident. It should be noted that there are "professionals" that go around as pedestrians or bikers trying to get in an accident to get a payout. If this is the case and you pull out a plastic bag with a bunch of money in it, you can say goodbye to that money, as the cop will have to side with the "victim" in that situation. A good strategy is actually to have 50-100 in your wallet and keep the rest of your money somewhere else. The cop will typically want to get out of there as quickly as possible with as little paperwork as possible, so, depending on the severity of the accident, the victim will be happy to take the 50-100. Again, it all depends on the situation, but I think money should be considered as a last (though reliable) resort.

Second, I think the point about how pedestrians, bikes, e-bikes, scooters, motorcycles, cars, etc. are classified. This is usually very important to be aware of when you've gotten into accident. In general the rule of thumb is that if you're bigger, you're going to be held responsible even if it's not your fault. This is exactly what happened to me with my recent motorcycle accident, but I was lucky to have a cop that didn't want to deal with paperwork and an accusing scooter driver that didn't know what he was doing (also lucky I didn't flash money because I didn't have to pay).
    CFMOTO 650TR

www.TheGreatRideOfChina.com
    "i never get lost because i don't know where i'm going"
    "一路春风,一路歌“

3. #13 Re: How to be prepared for a motorcycle accident in China 
    Depends on where it happen, there is 1 type of rare accident -- intentional. Those animals are after your money. Althought these days victim are more from car drivers. Motorcyclist is also faced same threat.
    同志仍需努力

4. #14 Re: How to be prepared for a motorcycle accident in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko
    keeping your money in a plastic bag for everyone to see.
    I don't think you are quite clear. The reason for this is that if you are in an accident where you are left unconscious you need for the medical services to be able to ascertain quickly that you have enough money to pay for the treatment, they look through your clothes and quickly find the money, potentially saving your life, and the plastic to keep the money safe from the environment whist you are riding.

If in the event of having an accident with a bicycle, ebike or pedestrian you have the option to pay and leave ASAP, and yes, you need witnesses to see you have paid, or risk serious fallout later.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 11-20-2011 at 03:14 PM.

5. #15 Re: How to be prepared for a motorcycle accident in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    I don't think you are quite clear. The reason for this is that if you are in an accident where you are left unconscious you need for the medical services to be able to ascertain quickly that you have enough money to pay for the treatment, they look through your clothes and quickly find the money, potentially saving your life, and the plastic to keep the money safe from the environment whist you are riding.

If in the event of having an accident with a bicycle, ebike or pedestrian you have the option to pay and leave ASAP, and yes, you need witnesses to see you have paid, or risk serious fallout later.
    Right, ok. I guess I can see the logic in that. However, what's to ensure that the person who finds you (or crashed into you) is such a good Samaritan? Who's to say that they wouldn't just call the cops and take your money? Equally, if they are kind enough to go through such troubles, why wouldn't they just do what they could to help you anyway, or equally find that you have the proper resources in your wallet. I guess what I was just warning about is the centrality of money and the importance placed on it. I think better than a bag of money and credit cards (which runs the risk of being stolen, which has happened recently to a friend of mine) a card with important contact information in Chinese, would go a long way towards providing the type of protection you're talking about and avoid any incident that may occur centering around money too much.
    CFMOTO 650TR

"一路春风,一路歌“

6. #16 Re: How to be prepared for a motorcycle accident in China 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko
    Right, ok. I guess I can see the logic in that. However, what's to ensure that the person who finds you (or crashed into you) is such a good Samaritan? Who's to say that they wouldn't just call the cops and take your money? Equally, if they are kind enough to go through such troubles, why wouldn't they just do what they could to help you anyway, or equally find that you have the proper resources in your wallet.
    OK, so travel without any money on you then. That way you'll be sure that the Chinese thieves cannot steal it if you are unconscious! You may die a a result, but at least your cash is safe?

Generally the hospitals want to treat you, however they worry about where the money is going to be coming from, so if you have it on you they then can begin treatment. If you read my original post, I already suggested that telephone contacts, be written on a helmet, but a card may be good too.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 11-21-2011 at 03:04 PM.

7. #17 Re: How to be prepared for a motorcycle accident in China 
    OK, so travel without any money on you then. That way you'll be sure that the Chinese thieves cannot steal it if you are unconscious! You may die a a result, but at least your cash is safe?
    Generally the hospitals want to treat you, however they worry about where the money is going to be coming from, so if you have it on you they then can begin treatment. If you read my original post, I already suggested that telephone contacts, be written on a helmet, but a card may be good too.

Please think about this.

-I've been riding bikes for 20 years, and have ridden in at least 10 countries.
    -I've lived in China and ridden here for 10 years and speak and read semi-fluent Chinese.
    -We've been discussing accidents on these forums for years, and know the gruesome details of at least 30 accidents.

Please think about how you'd feel if a guy with 4 years total riding experience, barely 3 years in China, that had one accident and some anecdotes from a mate was trying to pick apart your posts because he thinks he's written the definitive 1,2,3, guide already?
    That would make you feel _________?
    I thought that this was a forum for discussion and so I thought I would try and have a discussion about this, that's all. I'm sorry if I some how offended you.

I never said I had "written the definitive 1,2,3 guide" nor did I ever claim to be an expert. I was trying to share from my experience. That's it. I am genuinely just trying to share and learn from other people's experiences, that's what an inexperienced person is supposed to do isn't it? What on earth does picking apart how little comparative experience I have accomplish? I have also heard other advise from similarly experienced people. I'm just trying to share this and point out what I think wouldn't make sense to learn why maybe it would.

Sorry if I offended you.

Ride safe.
    CFMOTO 650TR

"一路春风,一路歌“

8. #18 Re: How to be prepared for a motorcycle accident in China 
    I'm not really offended, more slightly miffed. We're only on the interweb, were semi-anonymity allows brutal honesty and frank discussion.

Your experience of an accident is absolutely relevant to this thread, and to the site in general. Although it's only relevant as part of the mix of various experiences we have all had. What's out there in terms of knowledge about riding in China comes from this site. Whether found on other sites, discussions with friends or acquaintances are often first, second or third hand rehashes of things that of been written and read here whether consciously or not, a community that has millions of kilometers under its wheels.

It's just that I don't think I'm speaking for myself only when I say that you are putting yourself on a massive pedestal with your blog where you talk openly about not being legal and your blog that reads as though it's a definitive guide, whether intended to or not. To me how to deal with an accident in China should be a collaborative effort where we discuss our opinions and try to arrive at a consensus to best guide new riders. But to me it rightly or wrongly seemed as though you were probing for weaknesses, when I'd clearly already answered your questions.

9. #19 Re: How to be prepared for a motorcycle accident in China 
    Because it has been mentioned, and because it's 100% on topic, we can discuss about the "Emergency card" idea.
    I have one around my neck everytime I'm taking the bike, even for 2km. It's very simply made with Excel, printed and put in a protective plastic badge around the neck, like a company card.

It is in both English and Chinese of course, is titled "Emergency Card" in big bold red letters and state :
    - Names (western & Chinese)
    - Nationality
    - Passport Number
    - Address
    - Blood type
    - Allergies (none)
    - Persons to contact in case of emergency (name in English & Chinese, telephone number & address)
    - PICC Insurance Contract number & hotline number : this helps exactly in the situation discussed above : instead of money, the hospital can know I'm insured and can call the PICC hotline to know quickly the extent of my coverage, so they can start really working to save me.

As I travel a lot with my GF on the back and will travel a lot with her, the emergency contact persons in case of an accident is her BUT not only her of course, in case she's wounded too.
    Needless to say, she has her own card around the neck too.

Some may call this too much or... well whatever they can call this, but being a rider in China, and being responsible for the person I take on my bike, it's for me the MINIMUM to do.

Unfortunately, the ones who don't think about doing it are the ones who didn't spend enough time in China... This is of course only my humble opinion.

10. #20 Re: How to be prepared for a motorcycle accident in China 
    But to me it rightly or wrongly seemed as though you were probing for weaknesses, when I'd clearly already answered your questions.

Amen

~~Kidding~~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast