Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Newbie in Dalian 
    C-Moto Noob
    Howdy all - just came across this site today and it's looking great so far. I am from Boston originally but have been in Dalian now for about 3 years and prior to that did a year in Heibei back in 2004. Just got a 2000ish Yamaha XJR400 from a guy who has a small shop here. Had to "register" it somehow in Suzhou because they don't allow any new registrations here in Dalian. Which, makes riding it around a bit nerve wracking, however so far so good. Would love to someday ride off of this Liaodong peninsula I'm stuck on and see some of the rest of China on bike - might wanna pick up something a little heavier though beforehand... Looking forward to following along...

XJR400 by CB McKee, on Flickr

2. #2 Re: Newbie in Dalian 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Welcome Dankleness:

Dalian is a beautiful city, with some very interesting rides to the North East. And you can't go wrong with an XJR - great bikes!

I'm sure someone in your circle of riding buddies will inform you of how a 苏 plate "registration" comes about. TIC.

Safe riding!

3. #3 Re: Newbie in Dalian 
    苏 (was it C for Suzhou?) plate. Fake, cloned or legally registered by the back door? Still can't get an honest answer.

4. #4 Re: Newbie in Dalian 
    C-Moto Senior
    Heh, here I was looking around for a thread to post my own move to Dalian and this seems perfect.

Dankleness, I'm inbound to Dalian on the 28th. I've had some help finding a local motorcycle club, I've got their group QQ someplace.

I'm up in the air about what bike to get, I'd like to look around at a few shops.

Anyhow, I'd like to get up once I get somewhat settled. I'll PM ya with my QQ, if you add me just tell me your from MCM.

5. #5 Re: Newbie in Dalian 
    Nice bike sir!

I doubt you registered it in suzhou (苏E) as registration of bikes is banned there since 2008. Most the 'dodgy' plates these days come from Huai'an in northern jiangsu (苏H).

But anyway there are many different levels of dodgy registrations. Some are outright fake while some are real registered plates acquired through questionable channels. I have the latter on one of my bikes, have been stopped by police and my bike came up in their computer and everything was fine. If you don't know what kind of reg you have, best not stop for the police anyway...

6. #6 Re: Newbie in Dalian 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thank you Felix! Yes, you are right about the registration. It is an 苏H plate. I have a little registration card and a larger book type of thing with what looks to be all pretty legitimate choppage and whatnot. Hopefully I will never need to find out whether or not its in the system... I hear in Dalian there are really only a couple of groups of police that check for illegal bikers, and usually theyre out at certain times of the day and places where the moto-taxis are lurking...

7. #7 Re: Newbie in Dalian 
    Hi guys, I'm new in Dalian as well.... great city to be... i got myself a Honda CB400... I'll try to post the pic later.... would be nice to meet other riders in town... binhai lu is amazing for touring... great view to the mountains and sea.... cheers...