Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Motorcycle insurance in China 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    i know thats probably too much to ask in China but is there an option to insure your bike against theft?

2. #12 Re: Motorcycle insurance in China 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    i know thats probably too much to ask in China but is there an option to insure your bike against theft?
    Harley-Davidson (Shanghai) has arranged some type of group/commercial policy that can cover theft, but it is only available to HOG members and only in Shanghai. Beijing apparently does not have it. Nor, apparently, have Beijing Harley owners been able to find it elsewhere.

For other makes of bikes in China, I have personally not heard of it, and often been told that it is not available (from the infamous "counter people" at insurance offices). I have only used PICC, so my experience is limited to them.

With respect to increased 3rd party liability insurance, during one bike's renewal, the counter-person offered an unsolicited upgrade at a reasonable price. I jumped at the opportunity but, unfortunately, couldn't complete the transaction because I had not brought my passport that day. When I came back the next day, passport in hand, I was told that no such thing existed for motorcycles and I must be mistaken about my prior day's experience.

I guess it depends on whether you are in the right place at the right time. But, then again, I wonder what would happen if you actually purchased some "unavailable" upgrade, and then needed it. I have a hunch that it would not be honored.

3. #13 Re: Motorcycle insurance in China 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Harley-Davidson (Shanghai) has arranged some type of group/commercial policy that can cover theft, but it is only available to HOG members and only in Shanghai.
    We talked to the same guy (insurance agent) last year to insure my MTS and were told theft insurance would apply only while the bike is parked at home..... makes you wonder, eh?

4. #14 Re: Motorcycle insurance in China 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    With respect to increased 3rd party liability insurance, during one bike's renewal, the counter-person offered an unsolicited upgrade at a reasonable price. I jumped at the opportunity but, unfortunately, couldn't complete the transaction because I had not brought my passport that day. When I came back the next day, passport in hand, I was told that no such thing existed for motorcycles and I must be mistaken about my prior day's experience.

I guess it depends on whether you are in the right place at the right time. But, then again, I wonder what would happen if you actually purchased some "unavailable" upgrade, and then needed it. I have a hunch that it would not be honored.
    It exists, and I personally have bought it when renewing my compulsory third party motorcycle insurance at the traffic police station (usually though I have paid for it at the insurance company itself as an addition - forget which company it is). The extra insurance cover simply provides increased coverage for damage to persons (hospitalisation) and property etc. For the amount, I consider it peace of mind, my wife though thinks it is a waste of money, same for the glass cover and extras I pay for on the car insurance. Tried to explain it to her, but waste of my breath and micro-trauma on my vocal chords. I've never had to use my motorcycle insurance in the two light prangs I've been involved in on motorcycles in PRC. It has been the other parties fault (best I don't get started on that!).

There isn't any specific theft insurance... that one can usually obtain personally. However some importers e.g. H-D, BMW etc., have been able to secure theft insurance when bikes are bought through the company specific sales channels.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 12-06-2013 at 12:21 AM.

5. #15 Re: Motorcycle insurance in China 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    if it exist than it can be found.... i will do some research before i buy a bike. Will let you guys know if found anything

6. #16 Re: Motorcycle insurance in China 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Doubt anyone is going to find theft insurance.

As for increased 3rd-party liability, I posted on this several months ago when I renewed my insurance was barred from buying the enhanced policy that I'd been allowed to buy a year earlier. This was PICC, and no manner of pleading would persuade them to relent. I even came back days later and asked again, but got the same answer. The only insurance you can find as a motorcyclist is the mandatory policy, which has severe caps on what it covers.

If someone can come up with an alternative, please share it with us!

groan.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #17 Re: Motorcycle insurance in China 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Doubt anyone is going to find theft insurance.
    In years past we had theft insurance and full comprehensive (100% coverage) for a Harley--Davidson as example was around 1700RMB (12 month).
    Insurance companies stopped the full comprehensive coverage and theft insurance as too much monkey business was going on... TIC all over again.

8. #18 Re: Motorcycle insurance in China 
    C-Moto Senior
    So,

Besides PICC, who are the few other big insurance company's in China?

Gra.

9. #19 Re: Motorcycle insurance in China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I've been reading some stories that basically in China, the foreigner always gets blamed if someone is injured no matter who is really at fault.

Can you get insurance against this? Because if the foreigner is always found at fault wont the insurance just refuse to pay because it's "your" fault?

10. #20 Re: Motorcycle insurance in China 
    C-Moto Regular
    I was involved in two accidents in China as a driver of motorcycle and as a driver of car. Both times was faults of other drivers. Both times went through official procedures and all damages were covered by insurance of other side.

Luckily, nobody got injured. Only property damage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast