Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: SYM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: SYM 
    In the US, the SYM bikes are distributed by Lance Powersports who have a separate site for SYM:

http://alliancepowersports.com/

Looks like we have/will get the Wolf in the US

http://alliancepowersports.com/sym-w...fications.html

Price-wise, the Wolf would compete with the CCW Misfit, and looks more like a direct competitor to the not-yet released ACE

http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/bikes/

Come to think of it, MJH, you should look into working with CCW...

2. #12 Re: SYM 
    SYM could offer the SB250Ni in the USA and price it under $3,799.00 and they may next year? Just a limited release as SYM is doing in Japan.

It looks like Alliance did some research…their offerings and pricing is pretty spot on for the market.

3. #13 Re: SYM 
    I have a suggestion for SYM…they should utilize that DOHC 250...that by-the-way specs very close to the Honda NX250 engine, that suggestion would be to set it into an X-Wolf model.

Here is the inspirations... an early model, a Sanglas.

Here is what the new model (X-Wolf 250) should look like, courtesy of Oberdan Bezzi Design
    Last edited by MJH; 12-11-2011 at 07:18 AM.

4. #14 Re: SYM 
    According to Alliance Power sports, the T2 will be available in the USA for 2012.

5. #15 Re: SYM 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    According to Alliance Power sports, the T2 will be available in the USA for 2012.

That will be a welcome addition to the small bike class.

6. #16 Re: SYM 
    C-Moto Senior
    "Yuma, Arizona (the 3:10 left me here)" can I ask are vyou still in Yuma,,and why?

7. #17 Re: SYM 
    Evidently Lance had a standing relationship with SYM as an OEM for the Lance CALI scooter brand. So when the Bammans set themselves on fire, Lance was a very logical choice to become the New SYM distributor.

They created a sister company named Alliance, but retained Lance, but only offer two models under that Brand name.

I would say for dealers that both would be worth carrying, the Lance are more affordable but only have half the warranty offered on the SYM models offering 1yr compared to SYM that is offering 2yrs.

The SYM Fiddle II and the Cali Classic 125 are not identical but appear to share the same engines. Other then that none of the current offering are redundant.

Maybe Lance could fund production of a different version of a 250 street bike?
    I personally would like to see this Oberdan Bezzi design come to life.
    Last edited by MJH; 12-11-2011 at 06:57 AM.

8. #18 Re: SYM 
    It could be manufactured in Taiwan for that market and other markets except for North America. Then the production could also be done in China through SYM and their partner there, but with them having the rights to the Chinese market and all others except the USA. Then if by some chance the markets heats up and demand for smaller surges in the USA some of the Chinese made could come to the USA but only under the Lance name.

It makes it a worth while investment to have design studios in the USA, that work on existing offerings currently in production at the Asian manufactures. Building a brand name with strong influence and ties.

I like that the distributor is now in California, they have more access to talent in that state, more access to talent and creativity.
    Last edited by MJH; 12-11-2011 at 06:45 AM.

9. #19 Re: SYM 
    Quote Originally Posted by lipsee View Post
    "Yuma, Arizona (the 3:10 left me here)" can I ask are vyou still in Yuma,,and why?
    I work at the state prison (the real one, not the one that is a historical tourist attraction where the 3:10 was supposed to end up in the movie), and the pay is decent. I have a business venture here that is on the verge of starting up, so the location is ideal.

10. #20 Re: SYM 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post

I like that the distributor is now in California, they have more access to talent in that state, more access talent and creativity.
    I am not sure the Asian bike companies are open-minded enough to consider having design studios in California. However, there are quite a few distributors in th greater metropolitan area of L.A., mainly the so-called 'Inland Empire' such as where Lance is located; it would be interesting to have a company similar to CCW actually open up something on the West Coast and contract with Taiwanese companies, as oppsed to Chinese companies. I think that the Taiwanese companies have a little bit more creativity. One company that seemed to give up the US market once the EPA regulations became stricter is Hartford out of Taiwan. They did bring some of their enduros to the US in the mid-2000's, but then stopped. They have a couple cool bikes besides their now aging enduros , but could OEM for someone. I remember reading about someone riding one of the 200cc enduros around Iceland on a motorcycle adventure with good results.

http://www.hartford-motors.com.tw/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast