Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 How annoying are the various bans on riding motorcycles in China? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, and to riding motorcycles.

I am contemplating spending a couple months this summer exploring China on a motorcycle. I've been here several times and have a decent grasp of the language. I've ridden motorcycles and scooters before, but hope to find someplace in or near Guangzhou to take some lessons. But that's a separate issue.

My main concern is that all the various bans on motorcycle use in various cities, parts of cities, expressways, etc. will take away from the freedom and flexibility I'm looking for. I want to explore the non-touristy parts of China, "real China" so to speak, and I'd much prefer the freedom and flexibility of a motorcycle to public transportation. However, all the rules on where you can and cannot ride a bike make me think I might be better off taking trains and buses.

So to the many experienced China riders on this forum, how do you deal with the bans? How do you get reliable information on them (i.e. before getting stopped by the cops)? Do you just leave the bike at a small hotel in the suburbs and then take a bus into the city?

Cheers!

Chris

2. #2 Re: How annoying are the various bans on riding motorcycles in China? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Noobie,

Greetings and welcome to MCM. I hope you stop fretting needlessly and just get yourself a license and a bike, and post some great ride reports and stick around long enough to render your username inappropriate.

In all my riding in China, I've never been booted from a town or city or village, and I've ridden in many "banned" cities. But the real joy of riding in China is getting OUT of the cities and into the vast and infinitely varied hinterlands, which is where you're most likely to find the "real China" you seek. When in that exurban/rural China, you'll be swallowed up by motorcycles, one ant in an army of millions. There is no sense of restriction whatsoever outside of those cities. To the contrary, the motorcycle is king.

And as long as you are legally licensed, plated and insured, the worst that might happen in a banned city is a slap on the hand and a fine of 200 rmb or less. And if you can convincingly suppress your decent grasp of Chinese most traffic police will be happy to just shoo you along with a warning.

Happy riding, and may you soon shed your noob status.

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: How annoying are the various bans on riding motorcycles in China? 
    In China, any law can be broken if you are willing to pay the price for it, and as Euph points out can be pretty small fines usually.

For me the most annoying thing is that cars are put on a pedestal and treated as VIP transport, and the prejudiced attitudes against bikes and their riders. Also that people are encouraged to buy cars they don't need for short distance journeys and get caught up in hideous gridlock in cities.

To me good riding is all about seeing beautiful natural scenery, culture and roads with views and challenging corners and friendly locals. There is an abundance of this right across the entire of China, which makes it a pleasure to ride in, it's not really hard to keep out of big cities, it's even cheaper to register your bike in a small town anyway.

4. #4 Re: How annoying are the various bans on riding motorcycles in China? 
    Quote Originally Posted by noobie View Post
    Hey all,

make me think I might be better off taking trains and buses.

Chris
    dont do it!