Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    We two-wheelers tend to enjoy:

1) Bikes
    2) Babes
    3) Beer

(not necessarily in that order).

I'd add a fourth ...

4) Bands

Any musicians out there? I'm one, and jam with a few other bikers in Beijing, but always looking to connect with more, near and far.

Or, anyone come across some great performers in China? In my past life, I was a university professor. When I first started teaching in China (circa late 90s), I was surprised to discover that very few students played any musical instruments (aside from the er hu or pipa). Many, however, were incredible singers - and that totally blew me away. I'd never come across so many talented singers - made me sick with envy, given my inability to sing anything besides Cohen ballads.

Prior to retirement last year, my most recent group of students included many damn good guitarists, drummers, keyboard players, etc, and still an amazing number of gifted singers (must be the KTV thing). One of my Shanghai students has gone on to become a well-known rock star in China (haha - like most "black sheep", she used to sleep through my Finance classes, i.e., when she actually decided to attend!) So, this aspect of China is also changing at a break-neck speed.

So, stand up and identify yourself ... or, maybe just share some comments re the music scene in China?

I was surfing Youku and came across this guy (I think he is in Shanghai) ... he's good ... btw, that's a tough song to perform (well, it is for me!)

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjg1NzA3MjI0.html

He's got a clean, promising talent ... but he'll need to rethink his t-shirt, eyewear & hairstyle!

2. #2 Re: Musical Interlude 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post

I was surfing Youku and came across this guy (I think he is in Shanghai) ... he's good ... btw, that's a tough song to perform (well, it is for me!)

He's got a clean, promising talent ... but he'll need to rethink his t-shirt, eyewear & hairstyle!
    GF looks over shoulder while I'm watching that Youku clip: "God this guy is ugly."

Although I agree that Chinese kids are more interested in singing than woodshedding with a guitar, I have met some rather talented individuals. Interestingly, I met a musician from Canada recently whose instrument consisted of a lighted keypad which he hooked up to his laptop. The resulting electronic music was entertaining but a far cry from the kind of thing we were doing in Vancouver during the early 90's. I have two of my bass guitars here in China, though now I don't spend as much time with them as I'd like. I'm planning to renew my interest in them this winter. At my age it's a little difficult to put an advertisement in the local rag looking for a drummer to jam with. And the GF is already after me for the amount of time I spend on the bike, I can't imagine the trouble playing music would add to the equation.

3. #3 Re: Musical Interlude 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    er, does singing in your head when riding alone in the mountains count? because im really good at that.

4. #4 Re: Musical Interlude 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Damn Nuhaus - I kinda think you and I may have jammed at the Yale on Granville back in the 80s. Its kinda a blur now (probably caused by the infamous "special-mix" draft at that place), but when I saw your link ... the Yale popped into my head for some reason. Small, small world. Didn't know we were from the same hometown.

The bassist I play with in Beijing is aka Mr Ducati (whom Eric [998S] knows - again, small world), whom, back in the day, I almost convinced to buy a JH600. Whew, that was a close one.

Love the Warwick bass line - real nice manufacturing. Seeing six strings on a bass, though ... I don't know ... something ain't right. Bikes have two wheels, cars have four. Basses have four strings, guitars have six.

Slabo ... singing to oneself definitely puts you "in the groove" ... it is when you start clapping and cheering at your own performance that one thinks you've gone a bit too native! My musical experience in Lebanon was watching polar extremes ... either traditional drums and finger cymbals, or 1,000 watts of synthesized mayhem. Nothing in the middle. Either way, there were always Lebanese women dancing (traditional or modern) ... omg, how I miss that place!

There is some iPhone app that turns your iPhone into a guitar you can "strum". One of my students strummed his iPhone and sang John Denver's "Country Roads" (of course). I gotta say that it was weird, but kinda "talented" in a uniquely Chinese-mobile-phone way. I think there are some Youku and Youtube videos of this iPhone app somewhere, but I can't find them right now.