Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Coming to China - Got the itch 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi everyone,

I am coming to China very soon (1st december). Initially I thought it was too hard to ride a bike around China but looking through this site and others (Horizons & ADVrider) i've realised that it is not only achievable but looking like the exact adventure I want.

Only issue is getting a bike pretty much. Looking for a dual sport or dirt bike around 200cc and I am landing in Beijing, would it be possible to buy one in Beijing and how would I go about doing this? I have a little bit of Chinese and would be able to tell someone I want to buy a bike and negotiate and that's about it. I'm prepared to do the trip with no plates and will have an IDL which I know isn't valid but can help.

I'm 26 and realise the cold this time of the year. Would be happy to tent it some of the way and will be glad to just follow my nose and wherever the locals decide to point me. I only have until the 24th of December however so time is a bit pressed as I fly out of Guangzhou but am happy to take a flight or train trip if required to make up lost ground.

I've done trips around Japan (FZ-6S), Thailand (Versys) and Australia with my very own 650 Vstrom. A few photos are here - http://imgur.com/a/Mq3Ak

Any help would be appreciated,

Mike

2. #2 Re: Coming to China - Got the itch 
    Coming from Australia to China now. Cold ain't the word.I think there is another cold front(from Siberia) heading down that way this week.

A fair amount of your 24 days will be spent looking for a bike and trying to get plates etc etc.I don't know if Beijing is the right place to be riding a bike out of with no plates and no license.This riding illegally has been done to death on here and just recently too.Do a search.

The countries you mentioned are pretty much bike friendly compared to China.

In my experience of driving around China you want to have a pretty good idea of where you are going because many a time when I have asked people for directions I can get three different responses from three different people all standing beside each other.Quite amusing.

3. #3 Re: Coming to China - Got the itch 
    actually i reckon you could buy a bike in beijing and be heading south the next day

it is cold though , so bring any and all warm gear you have

4. #4 Re: Coming to China - Got the itch 

5. #5 Re: Coming to China - Got the itch 
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    actually i reckon you could buy a bike in beijing and be heading south the next day

it is cold though , so bring any and all warm gear you have
    I think he wants a cheap dual sport bike that he can offload easily and quickly.

CJ might take a while to sell unless he takes a dump on the price but if he wants to do that please PM on price.

6. #6 Re: Coming to China - Got the itch 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah it will be pretty much getting the bike and getting the hell out of Beijing and avoiding city centres from there on in. I realise it's a bit of stretch with time but if I could make it happen it would be more than worth it even if I lost 3000rmb in the deal I think (we only live once). Probably want to spend around 3000rmb at most.

7. #7 Re: Coming to China - Got the itch 
    Quote Originally Posted by mtarascio View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah it will be pretty much getting the bike and getting the hell out of Beijing and avoiding city centres from there on in. I realise it's a bit of stretch with time but if I could make it happen it would be more than worth it even if I lost 3000rmb in the deal I think (we only live once). Probably want to spend around 3000rmb at most.
    If you where coming to Xinjiang I would probably buy it off you but your heading the other way and it is powerfully cold up here now.

8. #8 Re: Coming to China - Got the itch 
    I'm 700kms south of Beijing and we've got a forecast of rain, then a max of 2-3 degrees. You'll absolutely going to need mountaineering gear on your bike with a balaclava under the helmet. Then you'll not get much more than two hours before it's unbearable. I'd head south by train or plane and start there.

Also wealthier cities generally have less bikes available and bans/silly expensive rego. Do yourself a favor and get out of Beijing or any mega city to a 1st or 2nd tier provincial city such as Jinan, you might be able to find a Qingqi dealer who'll rego the bike for you for a reasonable price, they might even have something in stock new. You almost certainly won't find anything for 3000RMB, other than a 3 year old 125cc at best.

9. #9 Re: Coming to China - Got the itch 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    It was downright balmy in Shanghai today. Sunny and warm. But this will certainly not last. Like clockwork, we'll have freezing rain and other nastiness here south of the Yangtze by early December. You'll suffer a lot riding for any substantial duration in winter anywhere north of the Yangtze. I doubt there is anywhere in Australia even approaching the weather extremes you'll face in northern China in winter.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #10 Re: Coming to China - Got the itch 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    I'm 700kms south of Beijing and we've got a forecast of rain, then a max of 2-3 degrees. You'll absolutely going to need mountaineering gear on your bike with a balaclava under the helmet. Then you'll not get much more than two hours before it's unbearable. I'd head south by train or plane and start there.

Also wealthier cities generally have less bikes available and bans/silly expensive rego. Do yourself a favor and get out of Beijing or any mega city to a 1st or 2nd tier provincial city such as Jinan, you might be able to find a Qingqi dealer who'll rego the bike for you for a reasonable price, they might even have something in stock new. You almost certainly won't find anything for 3000RMB, other than a 3 year old 125cc at best.
    I been to the snow and ice festival in Haerbin before and ridded in sub zero tempartures but thanks for the warning.

Looking like it may be a bit difficult this time around, will have a little poke around when I arrive though. Another one to add to the bucket list though, will have to come back with a few months up my sleeze, I forget the user but I really got inspired by the guy on the Yamaha motard that went from Qingdao to France was it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast