Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Shanghai Hu A-License 
    I wonder if anyone knows more, and can advise me on the following:

I have a 2002 Chang Jiang with side car in Shanghai, and have it on an official Hu-A plate (company registered).
    I don't ride it any more, and want to get rid of it.

1. However, if I am right, transfer is not possible any more, and scrapping is the only solution, right?

2. If scrapping, and getting the plate fee back, how much, and how does it work?

3. What if I export the bike, is there a way to get the license fee back?

4. Is there a "way" to keep the bike and still get the license fee back?

Any advise is welcome.

Eric

2. #2 Re: Shanghai Hu A-License 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    I wonder if anyone knows more, and can advise me on the following:

I have a 2002 Chang Jiang with side car in Shanghai, and have it on an official Hu-A plate (company registered).
    I don't ride it any more, and want to get rid of it.

1. However, if I am right, transfer is not possible any more, and scrapping is the only solution, right?

2. If scrapping, and getting the plate fee back, how much, and how does it work?

3. What if I export the bike, is there a way to get the license fee back?

4. Is there a "way" to keep the bike and still get the license fee back?

Any advise is welcome.

Eric
    Dear Eric,

Unless the registration shows that the CJ has reached or passed its mandatory scrapping date, the plate should have genuine market value. You should be free to separate it from the CJ and use it as you please -- either selling it in the open market (north of 55k RMB nowadays) or transferring it to legally registrable bike.

There are "fees" involved in such transfers, but they amount to only a few hundred RMB. The 55k RMB is not a "fee" but rather the market-determined value of the plating rights that you have by virtue of possessing the legal registration and plate. In other words, it's a fungible and tradeable asset. The government does not, to my knowledge, buy back the plating rights, though if a certain amount of time passes after a bike's mandatory scrapping date, the plating rights simply revert to the city and you lose your tidy little asset which would be a most unfortunate situation. But if the plating rights remain valid, you'll have no problem selling them in the open market, since they can be transferred to either a car or a bike and demand remains high.

I do hope you'll sell it to another biker rather than applying it to a car, since the government has not been issuing new bike plates for years now, so the number of existing plates is finite and the pool of available plates shrinks by one every time a bike plate is reassigned to a car.

If the bike was registered in 2002, you could be bearing down on the scrapping date, so do look into this ASAP.

I do think it's possible to ship the bike out of Shanghai (presumably out of the country rather than to the provinces) rather than scrapping it, but I'm not sure about how that works. Needless to say, a bike need not be plated to be exported.

I don't think you'll be able to keep the bike in Shanghai after disassociating it from the plate; you'll really have to get it to a scrapping yard and get a certificate proving that it's been scrapped.

The guys who know how all this works are Fan Peisheng aka Xiao Fan at the CJ repair shop that doubles as an (ineffectual) JH600 after-sales repair shop, and Liu Zhidong, who runs the CJ-dominated Black Bats motorcycle club. Yes, the same guy who visited your garage last Saturday.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #3 Re: Shanghai Hu A-License 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

I do hope you'll sell it to another biker rather than applying it to a car, since the government has not been issuing new bike plates for years now, so the number of existing plates is finite and the pool of available plates shrinks by one every time a bike plate is reassigned to a car.
    Dear Eric,
    Typically a Hu-A 沪A plate is about 1000 kuai more money than a auto plate in the open market, because it can be applied to both the motorcycles and autos. Your plate may be even more valuable than the typical bike plate as it can be transferred to another sidecar, for which you may need to be the owner of the new sidecar (some strategy involved). The owner of the following bike managed to do that:

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post36686

It is the only JH600B in Shanghai with a Hu-A plate as far as I know.

We went on a trip with this lucky guy 2 weekends ago. LZD can tell you all you need to know about the transferring and resales of Hu-A plate.

4. #4 Re: Shanghai Hu A-License 
    Well, of course I have a reason to put it on the forum. I was told that the side car license is different from the normal motorbike license.
    It WAS transferable to a car license till ~2 years ago.
    Since then there is nothing can do any more then scrap, not transfer, not sell, not nothing....
    I was also told that the value of this 3-wheel license upon scrapping was ~15.000, plus or minus, depending the mentioned "fees".
    Of course not sure if this is all true ...guess it is time to talk to LZD then....

E.

How was the Jialing doing this morning?

5. #5 Re: Shanghai Hu A-License 
    Well, of course I have a reason to put it on the forum.
    I was told that the side car license is different from the normal motorbike license.
    Since then there is nothing can do any more then scrap, not transfer, not sell, not nothing....
    I was also told that the value of this 3-wheel license upon scrapping was ~15.000, plus or minus, depending the mentioned "fees".
    Of course not sure if this is all true ...guess it is time to talk to LZD or Fan then....

E.

6. #6 Re: Shanghai Hu A-License 
    Well, of course I have a reason to put it on the forum. I was told that the side car license is different from the normal motorbike license.
    Of course not sure if this is all true ...guess it is time to talk to LZD then....

E.

7. #7 Re: Shanghai Hu A-License 

Of course not sure if this is all true ...guess it is time to talk to LZD or Fan then....

E.

8. #8 Re: Shanghai Hu A-License 

Of course not sure if this is all true ...guess it is time to talk to LZD or Xiao Fan then....

E.

9. #9 Re: Shanghai Hu A-License 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    Of course not sure if this is all true ...
    G'Day,

TIC once again and CJ rego / license plate transfers are a pain in the a$$ for the last 5+ years, gave my last CJ away for free some years ago as I was unable to transfer or sell the rego / license plate after the 12 year rego span. Goood luck and keep us updated as three CJ owners I know just got out of town rego / plates as they failed to transfer the Shanghai "A" registrations after the 12 year rego period..... TIC..... TIC.....

10. #10 Re: Shanghai Hu A-License 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Shanghai is different, of course ... but maybe also has some similarities to Beijing.

In Beijing, I had two CJs with legal "A" plates that expired in 2008 (11 years from "original" 1997 registration). I researched scrapping / transferring / etc., and this is what I discovered in Beijing:

1) Three wheels are different licensing/plating than two wheels. You can't migrate a plate from one to the other
    2) When you scrap a three wheeled sidecar, you get the ability to take the plate to new vehicle within 6 months. BUT, you have to find a three wheeled sidecar that is on the "approved list" of Beijing vehicles. The JH600B is not on that list, nor were there any other sidecars available ... ALTHOUGH, there was a shop in Beijing that was somehow selling "new" CJ750s that could get brand new A plates issued on them ... I have no idea how that shop did it, or if they are still doing it (I doubt it).

Interesting that a JH600B was A-plated in Shanghai. I know where a JH600B is for sale, if you want to put your Shanghai A plate on it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast