Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Hello to all

1. #1 Hello to all 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi folks,
    I registered a while back but never got around to posting

Been living in china for 2 years now, I have my Chinese drivers licence and motorcycle licence, so keen to get some wheels.

My life is split between working in Ningbo and my new home in the countryside of Shanghai, no plans to move back to England as I now have a wife here...

Seems all the bikes around me are HK registered, no one seems to pay much attention out in the country haha.

Cheers

Dave

2. #2 Re: Hello to all 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi dave nobody else hear wants to talk. Are you English then? Well what do you do for work ?Your daily commute sounds like fun to me.I would love to throw up some dust out there!Im from Michigan in usa, I just bought a motorcycle with a lifan vertical and im putting a lot of stuff in it.Im also lightening it as much as possible it weighs about 240.

3. #3 Re: Hello to all 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Hi folks,
    I registered a while back but never got around to posting
    Been living in china for 2 years now, I have my Chinese drivers licence and motorcycle licence, so keen to get some wheels.
    My life is split between working in Ningbo and my new home in the countryside of Shanghai, no plans to move back to England as I now have a wife here...
    Seems all the bikes around me are HK registered, no one seems to pay much attention out in the country haha.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Yeah G'Day Dave, welcome to MCM even though seems you've been a closet lurker.
    If you're looking for wheels, there are some for sale over in the "Classifieds"
    If you're living in or close to Haishu then if you don't know already, motorcycle ban takes care of that. Even the central area of Yinzhou is 'sposed to have implemented a motorcycle ban too, though I still ride through the area to/from both Wanda Yinzhou and METRO supermarket. Over out the back of Yinzhou are some pretty nice mountain ride(s) e.g. Hengxi township over the range to Tangxi village etc. Dongqian Lake and the surrounds (not just the lake area but out towards Tangxi village and the opposite direction toward Tiantong Temple is also worth riding, rinse and repeat. I ride these areas several or more times a week.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #4 Re: Hello to all 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks Guys,

At the moment my commute is just at weekends, living in Ningbo monday -friday. When I buy my nice new Haval H6 SUV will maybe travel more.
    haha bikerdoc..yeah I had forgotten about this site...suddenly feeling the need to get back to biking..been riding for 30 years and the past two years without a bike have been crap !

I'm based to the North East of Ningbo, a small town called Xiepu, close to Jiulong lake and the mountains...Xiepu is famous for its bad quality air haha...main chemical zone for the region....but the lakes and mountains are nice...I go cycling there most evenings...thats where I met a group of wealthy chinese kids riding expensive imported bikes haha..
    Much as I would really like another Honda Fireblade, prices here are too high ...plus maybe the issues with getting a licence plate...although here in the countryside no one really cares about that !

Managed to persuade my wife that we should have a small bike in Shanghai for nipping out to the local shops...but here in Ningbo I want something bigger. So will probably go for a 600/650 parallel twin Chinese brand...
    need to wait awhile yet as am still in the process of buying/decorating the new home in Shanghai..I dont think buying a bike instead of furnishing the home would be appreciated by the wife haha..
    When I got my car licence the police guy asked me if I wanted the bike licence too...but made it clear i couldnt ride in the city ...do guys break that ruling ? I know for sure they do in Shanghai!

cheers

Dave

5. #5 Re: Hello to all 
    Let me know if you ever ride north and west a few hundred kilometers. I got the yellow fever and married a lovely local 7 years ago. It was a good decision. I mostly lurk here recently as things got a bit more polarized and I try to stay away from that but have been a bit more involved since I am buying a BMW and selling my Jialing JH600. BikerDoc was correct that there are a couple of used bikes including mine (if you are looking for a larger dual sport the JH600 is not bad) in the classified section here on this site. Keep an eye out for something here when you get the house done and can turn your attention to the motorcycle.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido