Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: New SkyTeam ST250 V-Raptor owner 
    I think it's similar to this, the engine cover holds the camshaft and the top end together.

1010976.jpg

Cheers!
    ChinaV

2. #12 Re: New SkyTeam ST250 V-Raptor owner 
    C-Moto Guru
    Yep, exactly like that. I admit I haven't seen this before. Apparently haven't opened enough engines in my life yet :)

Just looked at the engine plate this morning and it has 166FMM on it. Not sure what makes that engine... Jialing?

3. #13 Re: New SkyTeam ST250 V-Raptor owner 
    C-Moto Guru
    Apparently a mixture of offdays, bad weather and Internet access is not the best one can experience. Hoovering around the virtual reality, I came across a thread called "Pooratech" ( for the title ) in a South-African forum (tell me about it!) - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...&topic=12116.0

So, reading there I was inspired to build myself a toolbox for the new toy. I may not be riding, but can do lots of dumb things.

I got myself a PVC pipe from the local hardware store:

2 caps (apparently this is how they are called) and a drawer lock:

One afternoon of cutting, drilling, swearing, scratching my head, bum, crotch, and voila:

The masterpiece is 450mm long and 125mm in diameter (that's about 18x4.5 inches for our imperial viewers), which turned out quite big:

If it turns out that these sticking bolts get in the way, I'll swap them with rivets.

The "cool" lock:

The official version for the insulation band is that it's there to improve water tightness, but the cruel truth is that I put it to cover the dodgy cut I made:

Well this is for now. I made it that far.

Now I'm contemplating on the next creation - cheap and simple pannier racks... I hope I won't mess up the nice bike until spring time (my wife hopes!).

4. #14 Re: New SkyTeam ST250 V-Raptor owner 
    C-Moto Guru
    Well, I'm still off work and outside it still is like that

so I continue with my nonsense creations.

I made my self a DYI chain oiler. I've been making such basically for all my bikes using gardening taps and urinary tubes - local pharmacists are always looking strange at me :) Now, I decided to go the route, suggested by this fella:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xg1bOcV3rI

The "tank" is actually brake fluid container from Lada (the most popular Russian car brand, for our distant readers):

The personal touch I threw in, comes in the form of a fuel cut-off valve, which is very widely used around here as part of car LPG conversion kits:

The "holder" role of the tube to the swingarm is performed by a shoe-polishing sponge box:

The container is on the right-hand side of the frame, while the valve and tap are bolted on the front of the air box:

Valve power supply I took from the positive pole of the rear brake switch, because it was most easily accessible, so now when I turn the ignition on, it opens up.

On a side stand, in the cold garage it works:

When the weather outside becomes more rideable I'll check it in real life conditions.

5. #15 Re: New SkyTeam ST250 V-Raptor owner 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi Krasi,,,This bike is available in the uk,I particularly like the colour of yours,,,I love your modifications,especially the chain oiler.I would love to go one better and fit a chaincase from a old MZ250,that way the chain would last for ever (ok not ever but longer),,,is the seat comfortable? Actually I think it would make a great chopper,,,have a thin 19in rim put on the front with longer tubes and it would look the business,,,all the best

6. #16 Re: New SkyTeam ST250 V-Raptor owner 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hey, lipsee. I bought the bike from UK - Northbridge Bikes in Bristol :) Colin there is very helpful chap.

Ah, MZs... My father had a MZ ETZ151, which I learned to ride on some 15 years ago. Nowadays I'm growing a soft spot for them more and more. We still have plenty of these around in small towns and villages, so I'll take a look if I can really fit a chaincase from one of them.

I don't like choppers at all. At least not yet :D I haven't been able to ride it much yet, but as far as I can tell seat is OK. The bike is small and slick enough so that I could easily slide forward and backward on the seat which is quite different in width on both places. That way my bum rests on different points and I can go without stopping.

7. #17 Re: New SkyTeam ST250 V-Raptor owner 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krasi View Post
    Hey, lipsee. I bought the bike from UK - Northbridge Bikes in Bristol :) Colin there is very helpful chap.

Ah, MZs... My father had a MZ ETZ151, which I learned to ride on some 15 years ago. Nowadays I'm growing a soft spot for them more and more. We still have plenty of these around in small towns and villages, so I'll take a look if I can really fit a chaincase from one of them.

I don't like choppers at all. At least not yet :D I haven't been able to ride it much yet, but as far as I can tell seat is OK. The bike is small and slick enough so that I could easily slide forward and backward on the seat which is quite different in width on both places. That way my bum rests on different points and I can go without stopping.
    Thanks for the prompt reply,,,Northbridge is where I saw it also...Whats the fit and finish like? the price seems pretty good,I bought a Bashan 250(actually 233cc) a couple of years ago (but got stolen),it cost me £1299. Regarding lubing the chain,,it a good idea ,but very messy ,but with a chain case,lubrication and protection all in one,,its the way to go.I do,nt know why manufacturers do not at least offer a chain case as an option,,in the past they use to....I had one fitted to my old XS650 and it was magic the chain lasted ages...The seat does look ok ,,but I am sensitive to a hard seat (I have a skinny bum,some call it pert!!!!) Can I ask whats stopping you riding it? surely not abit of cold weather !!!! Happy New Year

8. #18 Re: New SkyTeam ST250 V-Raptor owner 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by lipsee View Post
    Thanks for the prompt reply,,,Northbridge is where I saw it also...Whats the fit and finish like? the price seems pretty good,I bought a Bashan 250(actually 233cc) a couple of years ago (but got stolen),it cost me £1299. Regarding lubing the chain,,it a good idea ,but very messy ,but with a chain case,lubrication and protection all in one,,its the way to go.I do,nt know why manufacturers do not at least offer a chain case as an option,,in the past they use to....I had one fitted to my old XS650 and it was magic the chain lasted ages...The seat does look ok ,,but I am sensitive to a hard seat (I have a skinny bum,some call it pert!!!!) Can I ask whats stopping you riding it? surely not abit of cold weather !!!! Happy New Year
    In my opening post I've mentioned that I was pleasantly surprised by the fit and finish - I was prepared for worse. Especially since I never saw or touched the bike prior to purchase. I'm sure that in the long run some of the details will deteriorate quickly - the "chrome" bits are prime candidates for that, like I've mentioned earlier. As suspected it's running on the lean side, so I've got to procure some jets to fool around until it warms up in the spring. Apart from that nothing has broken or fallen off yet.

The seat is definitely not hard, and that's not comparing it to a competition off-road bike seat. I'd have even preferred if the foam was little more dense.

I'm not riding it because the first picture above is made yesterday in front of my garage door. And today we got another 2 inches of the damn white shit... At least I have a rear wheel drive car to make fun of the weather conditions.

9. #19 Re: New SkyTeam ST250 V-Raptor owner 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    People take off the SAI all the time, but without removing the catalytic element down stream, that being the restricted exhaust the results can be problematic.

The SAI Secondary Air Intake consists of a reed valve that operates off vacuum from the carburetor, it opens and closes allowing small amounts of oxygen to enter the exhaust chamber, it perpetuates the burning of hydrocarbons.

If the SAI is removed then all the unspent hydrocarbons have to pass through the catalytic element in the muffler.

If you then increase the fuel in the mixture then it will increase the amount of hydrocarbons that collect on the catalysts.

As time goes eventually it will be or could become more and more restrictive and could even cause carbon deposits on the exhaust valve itself.

Unless you are going to remove the exhaust and replace it with a dirt bike muffler your not going to get any noticeable improvements in throttle response. Only dirt bike mufflers do not have a catalytic element or race mufflers, both are available for off road use.

I said it before and it is worth repeating the SAI is integrated and removing it requires consideration to the entire circuit.
    Noted!! Thanks for the info.

10. #20 Re: New SkyTeam ST250 V-Raptor owner 
    Any new updates on your Skyteam Krasi?

Kennon

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast