Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Prep for Sichuan, Qinghai, Gansu and beyond 
    Ok, I am planning a trip for early next summer. There are still a lot of things to be sorted out, especially if I can get 3 weeks of straight holiday at what is the busiest season in our office but that aside, the specs look like this:

Route: Chengdu – Nuo’ergai (wetlads at the border between Sichuan and Qinghai, the area where the huanghe starts) Qinghai Lake – Dunhuang – Lanzhou – Xi’an – Guoliang Tunnels – Taishan – Beijing)

Distance: estimated 6000 km

Time: 3 weeks

Bike: my trusted JH 150GY-3 with an Adlo top box a saddle bag and me as solo rider

Planned date: starting end of May (20th?) until around the 10th of June. I have family business in BJ on the 13th of June.

There are still a lot of uncertainties in general and even more detailed questions that I am pushing back and forth in my head. So I thought I ask the experienced riders here on MCM for their input.
    Here we go:

Distance
    6000 km will be a long haul in 3 weeks and this will be my first long-distance ride, There are possibilities for shortcuts like skipping the leg to Dunhuang and rather just ride around lake Qinghai before heading to Lanzhou or skipping the last part and shipping the bike from Xi’an back to BJ. If I do both, that should cut the whole trip down to a more manageable 4500 km.

Climate
    I have to be back in BJ on the 13th and I don’t want to go after the 13th because then the rainy season will have started in the mountains north of Chengdu. But if starting end of May, the mountains and Qinghai plateau in general will still be very cold. Is it going to be ok, or do you think it will still be too cold?

Altitude
    There are two systems that will be affected heavily by the high altitude: bike and ride. After probably two to three days after leaving Chengdu I will have to cross passes around 3600 asl and the highest climb will be around 4300m maybe one week after I left Chengdu. I know that the rider can adjust to higher altitudes by just taking it slowly, giving the body time to get used to the thinner air. So if I stretch the time a bit, it should be possible to minimize the adverse effects on the rider system.
    But for the bike it is a whole different story. It is carbureted so the lower oxygen level is going to take its toll on the performance of the bike. Do you think I should rejet the carb? If I do that to make the bike fit for higher altitudes, I will have to rejet again when I descend into Gansu. Or do you think it will be enough if I just take out the air filter when approaching the high lands? Any other suggestions?

Fuel
    As far as I can see from GM, there will be some long stretches in sparsly populated regions. Will I be able to get refill regularly? My tank is 8.3 liters which gives me a maximum range of around 270 km. I am thinking of taking a 3 or 5 litre cherry can.

Road Conditions and Blocks
    From other ride reports I picked up the suggestion (I think it was CrazyCarl) to get knobbies for the trip as there will be a lot of gravel roads and I have to prepare for snow in the mountains.
    I am mulling the idea of also going to Aba county because everybody tells me it is f***ing beautiful. But I heard rumors of road blocks because of the self-immolations of monks and nuns in that area. Does anybody have some input on this?

Route
    According to GM, there is no way (at least no official road) to enter Qinghai if I ride via Zoige and Luqu. But if you zoom in on GM it seems like you can branch off on a dirt track in western direction north of Luqun to reach a village called Kecaigang and then in northern direction from there to make the bridge between G213 in Gansu to S312. Then there seems to be a connection between the western end of S312 in GM to the S203 in Qinghai. I then would like to hop from S203 to S101 which should be not a big deal because the terrain is much flatter. Then I would like to traverse from Guomayingxiang to G214 in the gap between Mt. Riyue Shan and the big Yellow River reservoir south of it. Does anybody have any experience or advanced road knowledge in this area?

Luggage and gear
    I want to ride one up with an Adlo top box and two soft bags. I will bring good protective gear, rain suit, MX boots, some basic tools, spare tubes, gps. Any other suggestions? Camping gear recommended?
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

2. #2 Re: Prep for Sichuan, Qinghai, Gansu and beyond 
    dont remove the airfilter!dirt roads and no filter = extreme engine wear
    its probably easier to change the main jet one size smaller and lower the needle one groove

3. #3 Re: Prep for Sichuan, Qinghai, Gansu and beyond 
    Hey Zhu, thanks for the tip. Just one more reason to really start learning about carb tuning...
    JH-150GY-3

4. #4 Re: Prep for Sichuan, Qinghai, Gansu and beyond 
    Hey Fanhi,

Good man yourself planning a trip like that, it's going to be unforgettable.

For the climate, bring loads of warm stuff and rain gear anyway. When you're up on the plateau you can get caught in snow regardless what time if the year it is.

For the bike's altitude sickenss, obviously it'll be better if your carb is tuned, but it also works without doing it. Last year with ChinaV, at 4500m our 250's felt like 125's but they still got us there. There's also a risk that you fuck something up while opening up your carb to change the jet, and at that point you'll be our in the middle of nowhere and that's a trip killer. Or you could bring a spare pre-tuned carb and swop them over when you're up there...

6000km in 3 weeks is doable and anyway you don't need to worry about cutting your trip short until you're coming to the end. If you spend too much time where the really beautiful stuff is and don't have time to ride back to beijing then just ship from xi'an. Don't cut dunhuang out unless you really have to.

Speaking of xi'an, you have a bed a shower and a place to park when you get there, if you want them!

Google maps does not have all the roads, especially in that region. If you can see tracks in satellite view, then they're wide enough for your bike. These are often the best parts of your journey...

Bring a 5 liter jerry can with you, they're not enormous and weigh nothing when they're empty. Keep it full when you start heading out into the unknown, a 270km range may possibly see you stranded in some parts.

For road blocks and things like that, just play it by ear when you're there. The situation keeps changing out there, who knows what the story will be in 6 months.

Camping is fun but not really necessary in china. If you have space for gear bring it, but you'll always find places to stay on the side of the road. In sparsely populated parts, if you arrive at town or village in late afternoon, best stay there. Don't risk getting caught out at night trying to make to the next town. Don't ride at night.

And finally when you finish your trip, post some pictures!

5. #5 Re: Prep for Sichuan, Qinghai, Gansu and beyond 
    Hey Felix, thanks for the tips and the invitation. I might stay a night or two out with a friends' family in somewhere north of Xi'an but everything still wide open.

So Dunhuang is really that good, huh?

Yeah, carb-jetting on the roadside is something I want to avoid. The idea of bringing a pre-adjusted carb along sounds pretty neat. Have to think about it.

Camping would be nice but I don't want to carry gear if I don't have to.

Pictures and gpx-track are a must. I hope my gf will be with me, she got the eye for pix, not me...
    JH-150GY-3

6. #6 Re: Prep for Sichuan, Qinghai, Gansu and beyond 
    Hi,

Removing the air filter (and even the air box cover) is perhaps not the best idea but it helps a lot with the altitude.

I did that during my tour on the Sichuan plateau where the roads are full tarmac without much dirt. Just keep a light tissue on the air box to avoid the biggest dust.

Enjoy

7. #7 Re: Prep for Sichuan, Qinghai, Gansu and beyond 
    Hey, check quechua tents in decatlon. I bought it for last trip and I was amused how small things got since I camped last time, other thing is it feels like in coffin. I don't agree camping in China is not fun. We stayed on our last trip only once in hotel and maybe not all the places where we camped were amazing, but it's just about finding a good place before it gets dark. Lets go for a beer next week. I can't before wendesday but maybe we could talk about a trip or organize MCM meeting?
    JH-150GY-3

8. #8 Re: Prep for Sichuan, Qinghai, Gansu and beyond 
    Hey Filipu, i agree that camping is funa and I got all the gear. It is just that it is not onlz about the tent. If I go to Qinghai and want to make camp there, I would have to bring sleeping bag, a mat, an oven etc. as well.

I will be leaving for xmas holidays on wednesday and have still a lot to prepare so I'm afraid next week won't be possible for me... But in general for a MCM Beijing No bike night: count me in!
    JH-150GY-3

9. #9 Re: Prep for Sichuan, Qinghai, Gansu and beyond 
    OK, will only be able to take 17 days of holiday so I cut the trip short to around 2200k:

Chengdu-Xi'an 2012 by fahni, on Picuna
    http://maps.google.com.hk/maps?saddr...3,6,10&t=p&z=7

Day 1:
    Travel Day

Evening Flight to Chengdu & Checkin Hotel

Day 2: in Chengdu
    Pick up Motorbike

Day 3: Leg 1 (ca. 160 km)
    From Chengdu to Wenchuan 汶川 (the Epicenter of the 2008 Earthquake)

Day 4: Leg 2 (ca. 210 km)

From Wenchuan to Songpan 松潘 & Chuanzhusi 川主

Day 5:
    Visit Huanglongsi National Park黄龙寺

Day 6: Leg 3 (ca. 230 km)
    From Chuanzhusi to Zoige

Day 7: Leg 4 (ca. 270 km)
    From Zoige to Xiahe夏河

Day 8: In Xiahe, visit the Tibetan Monastry

Day 9: Leg 5 (ca. 340 km)
    From Xiahe via Lintan临潭 to Minxian岷县

Day 10: Leg 6 (ca. 240 km)
    Early Start: From Minxian to Luomen 洛门and visit the Water Curtain Caves

Day 11: Leg 7 (ca. 270 km)
    From Luomen to Jialingzhen 嘉陵

Day 12: in Jialingzhen
    Visit the Moon Canyon

Day 13: Leg 8 (ca. 450 km)
    From Jialingzhen to Xi’an (西安)

Day 14: In Xi’an
    Rest, sightseeing

Day 15: in Xi’an

Day 16: Travel Day
    Bring Motorbike to shipping company, flight back to Beijing

Last leg maybe has to be splitted. What do you think? Is this an ok route?

JH-150GY-3

10. #10 Re: Prep for Sichuan, Qinghai, Gansu and beyond 
    Looks good. I ve quit my job. Maybe I could negotiate unpaid holidays in my new office and tehn join you. See you on friday
    JH-150GY-3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast