Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Ok, ..I've bailed on China bikes - for now! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Unfortunately, with the present and ongoing lack of quality product being imported, and equally if not more important with the lack of a REAL China bike dealer/service center in my neck of the woods, I admit it - I've bailed on dual sport China bikes, at least for now.

Instead of hanging on any longer for China to play catch up I've found and bought a near new 2001 Yamaha XT-225 dual sport with barely 1500 miles on it in absolutely pristine condition. This is a bike I can easily get parts or local service for whenever necessary, and to top it off it cost $1000 LESS than the Qlink dealer wanted for the single Qlink 200 dual sport that he had available - with no parts inventory or assured parts availability in case of need! He of course claimed he had not had a problem getting parts from Qlink, then added that he had only ordered one small replacement item for the single bike he has for sale, and that it was fortunately an in stock item.

Yamaha's XT-225 lineup, produced in virtually identical form from its beginning through the 2007 model year when it was finally replaced by the 2008 XT250, is universally rated as among the very best of small displacement dual sport bikes. User ratings are consistently 5+ stars across the board, so I'll be more than pleased to ride this time tested and proven Japanese dual sport until such time as China is able to sort itself out relative to product design, availability, sales and service here in the States.

At that time I'll take another look at Qlink and American Lifan among others, but until then I just want to RIDE, and to do so on a highly reliable, proven, easily maintained bike that holds its value well and serves me faithfully!
    "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." - John F. Kennedy

AZ4,

Your decision is entirely understandable. The XT225 might even be made in China since I've seen so many XT knock-offs here so who knows! Let's hope they get their act together soon!

Paz,
    CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    ..Your decision is entirely understandable. The XT225 might even be made in China since I've seen so many XT knock-offs here so who knows!..
    IF the Chinese motorcycle industry is involved in the manufacturing of Yamaha's XT line of bikes (and I have no idea whether they actually are or not, or to what extent their involvement may be if that is true), then we'd have to say that China is ready and able to produce the sort of bikes that appeal to small displacement dual sport enthusiasts.

However even IF all that is true the China bike industry still needs to come up with a business model and put it into place (at least here in the States) that encourages the kind of brand loyalty and customer satisfaction on which a viable business enterprise can grow and blossum. That means not only producing high quality product lines, but also marketing and servicing these bikes in ways that establishes a sense of order and direction amongst the chaos that has been the China bike market over here for far too many years.

..Let's hope they get their act together soon!
    Amen brother! However I have to question whether there is any real movement in that direction now or in the foreseeable future.
    "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." - John F. Kennedy