Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: supplementary lights 
    Congrats on the installation and thanks for the review Maux!

I'm not sure i quite understand if you're happy with them or not though. You start off by calling them BRIGHT, but then you also say that you want another two, twice as powerful. You reckon 2x15W isn't enough? Do you think they're worth the money?

2. #32 Re: supplementary lights 
    C-Moto Senior
    @felix, yes I'm happy with them and yes, their very bright and effectively light up the road more than my headlight (with less spread though), and yes, I want more! 40watt x 2 would be even better!

@Barry, I think the L-bracket version of these would be nice for mounting on top of a fender.

@Euphonious , I assume that's Mr. Li's GS in the background! That picture was taking in a little two bike shop that was tucked away right in the very back of any otherwise an assuming neighborhood.
    The lights I got (the c-clamp style) had a bolt and a set screw connecting the clamp and the light body which let me swivel them a little "side to side" and I moved the clamps on the bars to swivel them "up and down" so yeah, I got them pointed right where I want them. You could adjusted them properly by checking left/right spread and tightening them down before you clamped them on, but I just bumped them a tad right or left.

3. #33 Re: supplementary lights 
    OK, I took some photo of setup of mine, PS them a little bit, to close to actual seeing of eyes.

20120328_230002.jpg
    65w H4 high beam only

20120328_230010.jpg
    65w H4 high beam + 30w LED

20120328_225913.jpg
    55w H4 low beam
    同志仍需努力

4. #34 Re: supplementary lights 
    went out and made a short video.
    Last edited by td_ref; 03-28-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    同志仍需努力

5. #35 Re: supplementary lights 
    Love the video TD! I can't believe you actually found a way to make someone turn off their high beams, that has me convinced; i'm buying the lights!

6. #36 Re: supplementary lights 
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    I can't believe you actually found a way to make someone turn off their high beams
    The moment Chinese respect you back is when you have bigger fist.
    同志仍需努力

7. #37 Re: supplementary lights 
    C-Moto Senior
    Yeah, that's one reason I would really like to have mine tied into a separate switch, because right now I can only run 1)LED 2)LED+headlight or 3)LED+highbeam. They're nice and bright, but I don't really want them aimed too high up or they'll just blind people all the time so I've got them aimed lower now. So I guess I'd have to check it out, I might fiddle around with my right switch cluster and try to trace the wires back.

8. #38 Re: supplementary lights 
    C-Moto Senior
    Alright, I was down fiddling around with my rear break lever and after adjusting it incorrectly (details later) and I figured I should have a look at my prospects for mounting additional lights directly under/ behind the faring and I think I've found a prospect. I was looking at different options and I think this is the best because it's just a simple 1" bar welded to an existing bracket. I checked the clearance for the faring and other wires, etc. and I should have enough room for it.

20120405_184125.jpg20120405_211112.jpg20120405_211119.jpg20120405_211157.jpg20120405_211838.jpg
    These basically show where I think I'd like to have a 1" bar welded to a headlight bracket. I think I'd rearrange the existing lights so they were also on this bracket. I figure about 3 - 4 inches of clearance outside of the faring should give me plenty of room to mount all four lights. In the third photo, in green, you can see the areas that I think would actually make contact with the new mount. The last picture shows the set of connectors coming out of the right switch cluster. The big connector with 9 wires is the one I'm after. The wires for both of my unused switches are somewhere in there and it will just take me a little time to hunt them down and figure out where the leads for the new wires need to go. Once I've got the new(er) lights ordered I'll check around to find someone who knows what they're doing with a welder.

Now about my rear break lever. I felt like the rear brake lever was too high, so I wanted to just move it down a bit. I took a look at the limiter bolt it uses and thought that the lockdown nut was just welded on, because I tried to turn it and it didn't move (I was almost certainly tightening it). So I just tried turning the bolt, which moved a little, but with great effort. After turning it about one full turn, I noticed the head of the bolt was starting to tilt so I got some light on it and could see that I was just twisting the head off of it. Then I made sense of it all and untightened the lockdown bolt and it adjusted just fine after that. The head of the limiter bolt is still damaged so I'll need to replace it. The only good news about any of this is that it's just a bolt and should be easy enough to replace.

9. #39 Re: supplementary lights 
    Hey Maux, nice modifications.... look sweet.

10. #40 Re: supplementary lights 
    What do you think of exchanging the standard light bulb with this?
    ------------------------------
    JH-150GY-3

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast