Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Neautral problems 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello all!
    I have an issue with my new Dong Fang DF250CHA (250 cc engine, wet clutch manual transmission)chopper concerning the gears. I can shift from Neatral to First, and advance all the way up to the last gear with no problems, but when I downshift I can step down all the way to first gear but can't go to neautral! I tried moving from Second to Neautral, then First to Neautral, but no luck! I can kill the engine and then go from first to Neautral and I can sometimes (dead engine) go from second to neautral, but thats tricky. Perhaps because I am a new rider it is just me and a lack of experience or "feel". I changed the oil when I first uncrated it (Brand NEW!!) a few days ago, and I used oil that was listed for wet clutch motorcycles. I filled the engine oil compartment to the full level but did not do anything on the clutch side.

1) Is the clutch using the engine oil to keep it lubed/cool?

2) Is there a point where it all has to wear/break in a little? I only have about 6 miles on it so far! (Brand new)

3) Is this just me from my lack of touch/experience? I am new to motorcycles and I have NEVER driven one until now! It COULD be me!!! I HOPE it is!!!!!!! I sure hope my bike is not having issues!

4) is there something I need to adjust? I looked inside the clutch compartment by removing the threaded plug on the shift side, but didn't see a liquid level. The parts I could see looked wet and shiny, so MAYBE thats good? They have a cover on the side of the case that has four screws. i didn't remove those and look in, but I figured I would consult here first because I wouldn't know what the level should be OR what to put if it was low!

Thanks for your advice in advance,
    Chuck!!!

2. #2 Re: Neautral problems 
    1. yes
    2.should improve with usage and experience
    3.see 2 above. Also get an experienced rider to try it out for you.
    4. make sure there is there is about a 1/2" or so freeplay at the clutch lever. Your owner's manual should show you how to adjust.
    Also a simple google search (adjusting motorcycle clutch lever) found this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khwIufUYZ-w

Google"trouble finding neutral on motorcycle"
    http://motorcycles.about.com/od/moto...w_to_shift.htm

Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #3 Re: Neautral problems 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks Barnone! Your the best! I'm going to go try it out today because it quit raining around here. I still can't get my pictures uploaded because I need to resize them. After I get that done I will post them for all to see.

Thanks,
    Chuck

4. #4 Re: Neautral problems 
    Good tip from Barnone about the freeplay at the clutch lever, it can create different problems.
    When I first threw a leg over my 1st bike, time for the very 1st outing, I pulled the clutch lever, engaged 1st gear and pof the bike immediately launched forward : the clutch cable was set too loose, so pulling the lever was like not doing anything...