Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
  1. #101 Re: Prep Round-China Bike trip, 2-up, April-May 2012 
    Fred, you've been hiding this blog the whole time?? What a shame!
    Maybe MCM folks can run it through Google Translate... Might get some funky results, but I think it would be worth it! (Besides, most people here translate TaoBao, so they must be used to it).

Anyway, there is so much in there (with lots of great pics to boot!) that I only had time to read a bit. The part about your meeting with Soberpete, and the latest post, including with the classy smoking bride in the Qingdao seafront.

Suffice it to say, I've bookmarked it for later reading

Thanks!
    Take your riding one day at a time. Enjoy it like a newbie and hope to never get complacent...

2. #102 Re: Prep Round-China Bike trip, 2-up, April-May 2012 
    Quote Originally Posted by soberpete View Post
    Dear Fred and co,
    I see the road (G205/ expressway) on Google maps and it looks pretty smooth; well spotted!
    I plan on getting to Rizhao via Yiyuan and then through Yishui. I'll stay in Rizhao one night then make my way south to Shanghai.
    How was Suqian? Is it laowai friendly? Still have the number of a hotel there? I don't think I'll stop in Suqian unless you think the roads along the way were really nice.
    If and when you have the time, I'd love to know the black-top farm-road route that you guys took after Rizhao.
    Was the construction on the G204 north or south of Rizhao? Or both?

Safe riding. Sounds like you're in Nanjing already. Enjoy it!
    Hey Pete, yes we're in Nanjing right now, and celebrating the near-accomplishment of the 12,000km trip by offering ourselves some "luxury time" with nice hotel, nice drinks and nice food !

Suqian is a typical normal Chinese city, we went to the Hanting Express hotel (always a good choice in China). It's either this or the Jinjiang Inn (also always a good choice).

The construction on the G204 was before and also a bit after Rizhao, but with a bike you can get through quite easily.

About the small farm roads we took, it'll be impossible to pinpoint exactly the ones we took. All we know is that it was West of Jiaonan city, we left the G204 towards the West on some small roads, found ourselves on the S329 too, but sorry, I will not able to help more than that...

3. #103 Re: Prep Round-China Bike trip, 2-up, April-May 2012 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    About the small farm roads we took, it'll be impossible to pinpoint exactly the ones we took. All we know is that it was West of Jiaonan city, we left the G204 towards the West on some small roads, found ourselves on the S329 too, but sorry, I will not able to help more than that...
    West of Jiaonan? Well then, don't say sorry mate because I won't even be going near any of those roads . I'm heading into Rizhao from the west and then going south from there.
    I'd like to say I could follow in your tracks but you both headed slightly inland whereas I might take more of a coastal route.
    The G204 looks like a nice, big, clean road around Yancheng so I might travel that way after Rizhao. This whole ride probably won't be a lot of fun so getting onto the bigger roads will make it less of a pain. Nevertheless, I'm doing this because I love riding.

Fred and Dipstick;
    When I do get to Shanghai, how will I find you guys?
    The city isn't really small and I literally know nothing about it.

P.s. Fred;
    I regret not asking you before, during our ride: How do I get that cool GPS app of yours for my HTC? Did you download it or it came with the phone?
    I really need a better GPS tracker before undertaking this ride otherwise I'll be out of my depth.

4. #104 Re: Prep Round-China Bike trip, 2-up, April-May 2012 
    Pete, when you reach Shanghai I'll come to you to guide you through the city if I still have my bike at that time. If not I can still come by taxi to meet you outside of the town, then hop behind you to guide you !

About the GPS : when Celine bought me this phone as a gift, she insisted to find the smartphone with the best GPS software, and that's the only thing I can tell you ! It is really a matter of the GPS system and software already in the phone, nothing you can really do about it, at least it's my understanding...
    As you saw, the only thing I'm doing on the road is :
    - put on the internet mobile and the GPS
    - open the Google Maps app

And yes it's true that the localization is very precise, without any offset (which is not the case with others maps app like OruxMaps).

About Shanghai : we're terribly sorry with Celine, but we will not be able to welcome you in our apartment and offer you a room, as we do not have an apartment anymore ! We stopped the rent when we left for the trip, and a friend will welcome us in his place when we arrive tomorrow until we take our plane on July 1st... Just thought you should know, sorry mate...

5. #105 Re: Prep Round-China Bike trip, 2-up, April-May 2012 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Pete, when you reach Shanghai I'll come to you to guide you through the city if I still have my bike at that time. If not I can still come by taxi to meet you outside of the town, then hop behind you to guide you !

About the GPS : when Celine bought me this phone as a gift, she insisted to find the smartphone with the best GPS software, and that's the only thing I can tell you ! It is really a matter of the GPS system and software already in the phone, nothing you can really do about it, at least it's my understanding...
    As you saw, the only thing I'm doing on the road is :
    - put on the internet mobile and the GPS
    - open the Google Maps app

And yes it's true that the localization is very precise, without any offset (which is not the case with others maps app like OruxMaps).

About Shanghai : we're terribly sorry with Celine, but we will not be able to welcome you in our apartment and offer you a room, as we do not have an apartment anymore ! We stopped the rent when we left for the trip, and a friend will welcome us in his place when we arrive tomorrow until we take our plane on July 1st... Just thought you should know, sorry mate...
    Meeting me and showing me the way? You are the best, thanks Fred.
    So what area should I aim for? I can always contact you when I'm getting close... like Yancheng.

You were thinking of putting me up for a night? You are way too kind to me. I wouldn't even dream of inviting a guy I'd only met once to stay at my place; I guess I just don't know how good an impression I made on you guys between Taian and Yiyuan but thanks so much for the thought.
    Pointing me in the direction of a hotel would be more than hospitable .

I had assumed that about the phone. My HTC is a dinosaur now (the old G3) and the GPS system is temperamental at best.
    I might invest in a new phone before I leave. I like HTC so I'll probably get another one.

Final stretch tomorrow! Take it easy, the most dangerous part is right at the end of the journey (so they say) .

6. #106 Re: Prep Round-China Bike trip, 2-up, April-May 2012 
    Quote Originally Posted by DipStick View Post
    Fred, you've been hiding this blog the whole time?? What a shame!
    Anyway, there is so much in there (with lots of great pics to boot!) that I only had time to read a bit. .........................including with the classy smoking bride in the Qingdao seafront.

Suffice it to say, I've bookmarked it for later reading

Thanks!
    Dipstick:
    My god, you didn't mention that that smoking bride was actually in a squatting position. Precious picture, worthy of an entry in the TIC (This Is China) thread!!! I have seen more than once that young ladies in high fashion and 10-inch heels squat at Shanghai Pudong airport waiting lounge, but this bride tops them all.

Fred:
    Can't wait to see your MCM report IN ENGLISH. Thanks for sharing your story.
    Last edited by milton; 06-15-2012 at 03:07 AM.

7. #107 Re: Prep Round-China Bike trip, 2-up, April-May 2012 
    Hehe, I will Milton, I promise !

And it's also time for an announcement gentlemen...

After exactly 11,570km and a little bit more than 2 months on the chinese roads, we arrived yesterday in Shanghai and successfully finished the round-China trip !
    To be honest, we do not realize it yet, we'll need some time for that I guess. Yesterday was a 8 hours riding madness between Nanjing and Shanghai, we're exhausted...

As mentioned, I'm now trying to sell the bike and the plates ASAP before leaving China.

Cheers,

Fred

8. #108 Re: Prep Round-China Bike trip, 2-up, April-May 2012 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear Fred,

Huge congratulations to you and Celine for completing this ride around China! What a fantastic accomplishment.

Several of us are setting off on a 15-day ride next Thursday, but would love to celebrate your ride (and lament your imminent departure). That means this coming weekend 16-17 June would be the only chance to meet. We also have some newcomers who are keen to meet.

Would you be available for a (No-)Bike Night on Saturday (tomorrow) somewhere in Puxi that features cold beer and, if you insist, French plonk? All the better if Soberpete is in town!

cheers!

jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #109 Re: Prep Round-China Bike trip, 2-up, April-May 2012 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Dear Fred,

Huge congratulations to you and Celine for completing this ride around China! What a fantastic accomplishment.

Several of us are setting off on a 15-day ride next Thursday, but would love to celebrate your ride (and lament your imminent departure). That means this coming weekend 16-17 June would be the only chance to meet. We also have some newcomers who are keen to meet.

Would you be available for a (No-)Bike Night on Saturday (tomorrow) somewhere in Puxi that features cold beer and, if you insist, French plonk? All the better if Soberpete is in town!

cheers!

Euphonious, Sir,
    I can't leave Zibo until the 25th, by which time you'll be on your way into your 15 day ride .
    Does your trip take you anywhere north of Shanghai around the 26th? I doubt it, but it would be cool to see you along the way.
    I'll likely be gone before you even head back to SH too ; I need to be back before the 9th for a summer school (unless it falls through... fingers crossed).

Also, Fred and Celine, very good work getting across China with so few scratches. It will probably take a while to sink in: I imagine it will hit you hardest while you're on the plane, relaxing and reflecting on recent events. Right now you have other things on your mind like selling the red beast and catching your flight.

10. #110 Re: Prep Round-China Bike trip, 2-up, April-May 2012 
    Thanks Pete !

There's one thing I'd like to tell you : I understand your desire to come to SH to see us and Dipstick, and we would love to see you again, but please be very very careful and weight carefully the decision.
    Why : as I wrote here before, chinese roads (and by roads I mean drivers...) are extremely dangerous. Yesterday, on our way to Shanghai, we saw yet again another poor guy who certainly crossed the G312 without looking, but this time unfortunately a truck just ran over him... Poor bastard was certainly dead, lying on the street with no-one helping or caring about him (police & ambulance were at the scene...).
    We saw too many accidents, avoided too many too, including few very close calls...

Driving education, trainings, road-sharing spirit is a HUGE problem in China right now. And it's even worse towards bikes. Bikes should yield, should not even be on the road, which is only for big black SUV with teinted windows as everyone know.
    Most Chinese unfortunately do not say anything to those drivers and just keep being bullied, while bending their spine. So of course when we yell when a very dangerous piece of driving occurs, the drivers do not even understand why we do this, one even telling us "you're on a motorcycle, you should yield !" when he almost hit us head-on while passing another car (this time as you know Pete, it was one too many that particular day and this driver has one less rear-view mirror to use...).

To cut this short, I lived for 10 years in China, know very well Chinese driving, but it'd be foolish not to pause and reflect after the tenths close calls and thousandth of daily emergency actions to take to avoid cars, bicycles, ebikes, pedestrians, all those with only one common point : they look only where THEY want to go, nothing else...

So please Pete, if you want to come to Shanghai, look where you want to go AND anticipate where everybody else want to go, because they would not look for you...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast