Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Joy Motor (Motorctycles Shanghai) 
    Banned
    G'Day,

Tianma JIMMY opened a new store and has a few KTM, BMW and a new blue 1200 Yamaha Super Tenere (engine has scratches on right side) on display.
    http://www.motogpchina.com

photo.jpg

2. #2 Re: Joy Motor (Motorctycles Shanghai) 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    The problem with J is that he talks up all his bikes, promises all kinds of things especially related to plates (though he never says he can get 100% legal registered in the persons name) but then when it comes time to deliver is full of excuses. An example is offering a "legal" plate (which is questionable at best) then when it is time for the reinspection, is unable to offer any solution. I know someone who bought 2 motorcycles from him with plates then later when the reinspection was needed, he said he can't do. Both bikes sitting now for 2 years, plates expired.

I note that his new website, mainly displays new models, which is kind of typical, can find all new photos all over the net and copy them/link them in a website. Front end always looks nice but it's what is behind that makes the difference. I don't want to get all negative, but as someone who knows J's methods closely, I warn anyone to be very cautious, v e r y cautious.

I'd add it's better buyer beware.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 12-14-2011 at 07:47 AM.

3. #3 Re: Joy Motor (Motorctycles Shanghai) 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    I note that his new website, mainly displays new models, which is kind of typical, can find all new photos all over the net and copy them/link them in a website. Front end always looks nice but it's what is behind that makes the difference. I don't want to get all negative, but as someone who knows J's methods closely, I warn anyone to be very cautious, v e r y cautious.
    I'd add it's better buyer beware.
    G'Day,

Yes, dealing with him involves EXTREME CAUTION but must say he has approx. 20 brand new bikes sitting in his new shop: Yamaha Super Tenere 1200, KTM Adventure, KTM Supermoto, BMW GS ADV, BMW GS Tripple Black, BMW RR1000, Triumph, etc. matching some of the bikes displayed at the Joy Motor website (checked the new shop Sunday after our Suzhou ride).

I know someone who bought a KTM 990 ADV (full kitted out with panniers and the lot) of him recently with a Shanghai "A" rego and apparently everything was done the legal legit way with all docs to back it up, just saying......

4. #4 Re: Joy Motor (Motorctycles Shanghai) 
    Well and maybe there is some inspiring good that comes out of _______ (fill blank) after all. Do you know anything about the pricing he had on his bikes you saw in the new showroom at all? I ask since I've bought a XT1200Z from OZ and am going through the process of getting all boxes ticked for importing (legally). My XT1200Z has all available accessories added ex dealer, some OEM and some others... will post pics when everything is confirmed for importation. Considered an option of buying a new XT1200Z ex-Japan landed in HK before the usual route into China through a dealer based down south (Guangdong) who comes from Zhejiang though so he travels between the two Guangdong-Zhejiang a fair amount. Landed price to my door complete with 100% legal transferable plate in my Chinese name (many cities don't allow a foreign name in English) showing Yamaha 雅马哈 1200cc was around 155K with some accessories included (factory side cases/topbox). That was for a new XT1200Z. Considered the BMW GS's but the ongoing issues over final-drive seals, and ABS modules put me off, 'specially here in TIC land. Looked at the Duc Multi like you bought, even though I was excited at first, servicing costs factored in with the TIC land again, plus the road bias - dropped that from the radar.

Interested to know what money Jimmy is looking at for a new XT12Z and a R1200GS or GSA? The one you mentioned (KTM990ADV) that he sold with the SH A plate... what money was on that if you know?
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 12-14-2011 at 10:07 AM.

5. #5 Re: Joy Motor (Motorctycles Shanghai) 
    Landed price to my door complete with 100% legal transferable plate in my Chinese name (many cities don't allow a foreign name in English) showing Yamaha 雅马哈 1200cc was around 155K with some accessories included (factory side cases/topbox). That was for a new XT1200Z.

Wow, that's only 10K USD more than they retail for in the USA without accessories. Pretty good price for China, given that there are so few decent bikes here under ¥200K.

I would be quite happy to dump the cash on one of those purdy Multistrada's, but ¥300K is insane conscidering there's been no progress in registering bikes in Shenzhen, Guangzhou and Dongguan. I wonder if I could sue those city governments for unfair trade practices?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

6. #6 Re: Joy Motor (Motorctycles Shanghai) 
    ^ keep in mind though that the bike is not being imported legally otherwise it would be around 100% more than MSRP in the USA even though duties and taxes are meant to add anything between 40-60%, TIC!

ChinaV you could join forces with HD and Ducati which have been rumoured to have lodged a complaint with WTO about protectionist activities and hindered access to the motorcycle market landscape in China, with unfair discriminatory regulations etc. I believe that they have lodged such complaints but how successful they will be remains to be seen.

7. #7 Re: Joy Motor (Motorctycles Shanghai) 
    Banned
    Well and maybe there is some inspiring good that comes out of _______ (fill blank) after all. Do you know anything about the pricing he had on his bikes you saw in the new showroom at all? I ask since I've bought a XT1200Z from OZ and am going through the process of getting all boxes ticked for importing (legally). My XT1200Z has all available accessories added ex dealer, some OEM and some others... will post pics when everything is confirmed for importation. Considered an option of buying a new XT1200Z ex-Japan landed in HK before the usual route into China through a dealer based down south (Guangdong) who comes from Zhejiang though so he travels between the two Guangdong-Zhejiang a fair amount. Landed price to my door complete with 100% legal transferable plate in my Chinese name (many cities don't allow a foreign name in English) showing Yamaha 雅马哈 1200cc was around 155K with some accessories included (factory side cases/topbox). That was for a new XT1200Z. Considered the BMW GS's but the ongoing issues over final-drive seals, and ABS modules put me off, 'specially here in TIC land. Looked at the Duc Multi like you bought, even though I was excited at first, servicing costs factored in with the TIC land again, plus the road bias - dropped that from the radar.

Interested to know what money Jimmy is looking at for a new XT12Z and a R1200GS or GSA? The one you mentioned (KTM990ADV) that he sold with the SH A plate... what money was on that if you know?
    G'Day,

I've always liked the saying, “You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?”

photo-1.JPGphoto.jpg

8. #8 Re: Joy Motor (Motorctycles Shanghai) 
    CNY250,000 would be suggestive of legal importation (with applicable taxes & duties paid) and subsequent legal documentation and therefore being able to get legal plates etc in those jurisdiction that allow motorcycle registrations. That price is around the those of the legal available big bore motorcycles from Honda; ST1300 and Suzuki; GSX1300R Hayabusa & M109R.
    If this is true then it begs the questions, is J going legit?

9. #9 Re: Joy Motor (Motorctycles Shanghai) 
    Banned
    Is J going legit?
    G'Day,

Knowing Jimmy for a very long time and trust him as far as I can throw my car, had no dealings with him in the past and most probably never will in the future.
    Mates bought bikes of him in the past (his shop was located near junction homgmei / gudai road 10+ years ago) and had no problems with him at all.

We were told he is going all legal and legit giving up his Tianma Track shop and business and will concentrate on legal bike import........

10. #10 Re: Joy Motor (Motorctycles Shanghai) 
    Banned
    G'Day,

Just wondering how Jimmy (Joy Motor) will honour warranty and bike service for bikes purchased and supplied from his shop, had an interesting conversation with biker mates last night about this issues.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast