Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 So the US won't be getting a couple of Lifan bikes...maybe more? 
    http://americanlifan.com/

The liquid-cooled GY7 and the 400cc cruiser won't be coming, and Lifan is struggling to bring a 2-stroke scooter; as well, the cool-looking chopper will be changed on their site because that won't be coming, either...

They are apparently still working on their naked sport bike

I'll believe it when I see it....

2. #2 Re: So the US won't be getting a couple of Lifan bikes...maybe more? 
    American Lifan regrets to inform its loyal dealership base that the LF250-GY7 and LF400 will not be imported into these United States as has been anticipated for a year or more. Our 2-stroke scooter is still in EPA hold and this scooter looks to be held until January 2012 by our dear friends at the EPA in the name of protecting the environment.

We are working aggressively with EPA to set us free and to allow our dealers to do business once again. We will keep our dealers informed as we progress and evolve and wish us all luck and prosperity going into 2012.

On another news front, the Rhino chopper will not be imported by American Lifan as previously hoped so the above blue bike image will be changed in a future update with our cool new LF250-19 bike as soon as a high quality image is available.

3. #3 Re: So the US won't be getting a couple of Lifan bikes...maybe more? 
    They should consider paying professionals to manage the certification of their motorcycles.
    If an application was submitted to the EPA and rejected then it was not conforming. That would be a matter of ineptitude, not knowing what the criteria is and not submitting a model that is in fact conforming to the criteria.

This is not the first time they have done this, that being blamed the EPA.

4. #4 Re: So the US won't be getting a couple of Lifan bikes...maybe more? 
    Both the 400 and the 250 GY-7 had EPA certification for 2011.

If they chose not to bring those products to the market it is on them, that decision had nothing to do with the EPA. Those are the only certificate they applied for in 2011, they did not apply for any others.

There are at least twelve 2stroke 50cc engines that have current EPA approval for 2011.

5. #5 Re: So the US won't be getting a couple of Lifan bikes...maybe more? 
    Lifan must have copied the wrong engine, here is the company that is offering a compliant 2-stroke
    http://www.longjia.com.cn/view_products.asp?id=83

If anyone is hankering for one they should contact Qlink as they are distributing them.

6. #6 Re: So the US won't be getting a couple of Lifan bikes...maybe more? 
    I just think it takes some balls for a Chinese company to criticize US regulations.
    Last edited by MJH; 12-14-2011 at 02:28 PM.

7. #7 Re: So the US won't be getting a couple of Lifan bikes...maybe more? 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    I just think it take balls for a Chinese company to criticize US regulations.
    I always wondered what goes through the heads of American Lifan's upper management--they always seem to have issues with certification, and have never pursued CARB compliance. They made a big deal with going after 'non-American Lifan' Lifans a few years ago, but lost to Hooper in court. I know that their 400 has been teasing us for quite a while; years actually. The 250 liquid-cooled enduro/motard showed major promise. Even the chopper that has graced their home page looked intriguing. The only bike to look forward to now is that naked street bike; but I am not holding my breath as they continue to only have the animated picture of it (while ChinaV has some great photos of the bike taken at a bike show--please correct me if I am giving credit to the wrong photographer).

But to whine about the EPA does not gain any sympathy from me. Like you stated, MJH, there are several 2-stroke scooters approved in the US, so it probably has more to do with something they are doing rather than the EPA.

8. #8 Re: So the US won't be getting a couple of Lifan bikes...maybe more? 
    They are not very practical, they could simply take the old GS200 and put the 223cc engine in it, call it the GS223 (no decals) and clean it up.

They could do the same with the GY-5 simply added the bigger engine and cleaned it up. Offer it in Black, White and Red. Offer it with 21x18 tires and also 17x17 tires. Change the name to GY-223.

9. #9 Re: So the US won't be getting a couple of Lifan bikes...maybe more? 
    They could offer those above models with an MSRP of $2,230.00 and then develop improved versions adding the 249cc and then calling those a GS249 and a GY249 and could also offer a naked version and call it a GT249. Then raise the prices to $2,490.00 for an MSRP.

They should simply develop off the models they started and make incremental improvement on each as they go. It is also important to maintain a consistent naming convention, for relevant internet searches. It is also imperative for them to keep prices low and offer extended warranties as an option, perhaps $250.00 for each additional year.

If inventory backs up at dealers the factory should offer incentives, to clear the inventory. Factory to dealer incentives to keep inventory rotating. They can or could offer back to dealers $150.00-$200.00 per unit. That being if units do not sell out in 1.5-2 years.

10. #10 Re: So the US won't be getting a couple of Lifan bikes...maybe more? 
    They should set up a research and design center in the USA, then work to develop EFI versions and new models then those new models can be sold in all markets. The technology developed and then brought back to china and implemented. That would connect them to the engineers and creativity they lack. It is easier to attract talent to California then it is to China. Then what is developed they own.

Sure it is an investment, but it would help them to eventually be able to bring autos to the USA as well. They have to have operations here they cannot just drop it off and run the other way. They have to integrate into the market they serve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast