Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Shanghai Huageng launches Peugeot scooter line 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I've said this before, but if anyone in Shanghai is looking for good, clean, competent and honest service you could do a lot worse than visiting Yang Jie's Huageng Motorcycle shop at the corner of Yuyao Lu and Taizhou Lu (余姚路泰州路) in Jing'an District.

Yang told me last week to drop by on Sunday for a surprise, and it was certainly worth the visit.

MG1079-M.jpg

Yang's been in business for more than 12 years, and has been carrying a nice stock of Hondas, Yamahas and Kymcos. He's been known to get legal plates for unusual bikes, like the 600cc Honda scoot on which I pillioned to Sunday's post celebration lunch. OK, as you can see through the smoke, this week's surprise had a French flavor.

MG1035-S.jpg

Sacre bleu! Huageng has signed on as Shanghai's first Peugeot scooter dealership! The bloke on the right is Damien Grillon, general manager of the company's Chinese JV with Qingqi up in the capital of Shandong: Jinan Qingqi Peugeot Motorcycles Co Ltd. On the left is the JV's sales director, Wang Hao (王浩). The happy guy in the middle was the first buyer of a Peugeot scooter in Shanghai.

They've got a wide range of scooters, but also a nice little 150cc motorcycle for under 10,000 rmb. (Edited: I'd mistakenly reported this bike was a 125c. -jkp)

MG0816-M.jpg

MG0820-S.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by euphonius; 12-22-2011 at 02:12 AM.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

2. #2 Re: Shanghai Huageng launches Peugeot scooter line 
    Here's the guy to see if you visit, the owner Yang Jie.

IMG0710-M.jpg

Yang can be reached at 021-6276-8570 or 139-0181-1185 but doesn't speak much English.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

3. #3 Re: Shanghai Huageng launches Peugeot scooter line 
    The head light on the 125cc explains the headlight on the 250 sport….wonder if they would sell well if offered as Peugeots?

4. #4 Re: Shanghai Huageng launches Peugeot scooter line 
    Holy crap, major news Jeff for us froggies !
    I'm really surprised by their 125cc motorcycle : as far as I know, Peugeot does not make motorcycles in France, only scooters (up to 500cc) and cars of course (and historically bicycles...).

Anyway, it's very good news, thanks Jeff !

5. #5 Re: Shanghai Huageng launches Peugeot scooter line 
    Well, speaking of the big scoots -- Grillon told me they are importing 12 of the big 500cc scoots right now, and when that bike is replaced by a more effiicient 400cc scoot next year they will start importing that in earnest. Not sure the price.

I like this place for its service. Motokai, Milton and I have all had a variety of procedures done on our bikes -- routine stuff like tire and oil changes, but also more technical stuff like fork and EFI service (yes, I said EFI) -- and so far they've been very professional, thorough and competent. The shop is a great resource for anyone in Shanghai, and especially those of us in Jing'an.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai

6. #6 Re: Shanghai Huageng launches Peugeot scooter line 
    http://www.peugeotscooters.com.cn/

I would think that the big scooter is all that is imported, the rest are likely shared platform with other Jinan scooters.
    Qingqi has a 250cc scooter that looks very similar to the Peugeot Satelis.

7. #7 Re: Shanghai Huageng launches Peugeot scooter line 
    Please note that, in the interest of accuracy, I've edited my original post in this thread to read that the little Qingqi-Peugeot motorcycle displaces 150cc rather than 125cc. Sorry for the error!

Has anyone been by the shop to have a look?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai

8. #8 Re: Shanghai Huageng launches Peugeot scooter line 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Well, speaking of the big scoots -- Grillon told me they are importing 12 of the big 500cc scoots right now, and when that bike is replaced by a more effiicient 400cc scoot next year they will start importing that in earnest. Not sure the price.

I like this place for its service. Motokai, Milton and I have all had a variety of procedures done on our bikes -- routine stuff like tire and oil changes, but also more technical stuff like fork and EFI service (yes, I said EFI) -- and so far they've been very professional, thorough and competent. The shop is a great resource for anyone in Shanghai, and especially those of us in Jing'an.

cheers!
    Did they give any indication on the prices out the door for the 500cc and the 400cc's - just curious. Joymoto which opened in the Minhang area operated by the infamous Jimmy Yu of JLMoto out at the Tianma circuit SH. Joymoto and Jimmy is now offering 'legally' imported motorcycles at his new dealership. I paid his store a visit and looked at some of what he had in stock... after TB-Racing advised about the XT1200Z (i was curious as I have bought one in OZ and am importing this into China). While at Joymoto I asked Jimmy about a brand new Yamaha 2011 TMAX 500, which he sells for CNY145000 non-ABS and 155000 with ABS. A little steep there in pricing, but that is the total price out the door, complete with import papers, fapios... only thing not included in the price is the license plate. The XT1200Z I was curious about myself, but his price is outrageous CNY250000, given what I will likely be up for when my new one from OZ makes it here. Anyway Euphonius I am interested to know more about the 500 and/or 400cc pricing etc. though neither are my first choice in a maxi scoot. I'd wing my vote and money towards a TMAX (new model for 2012) or my preference... a BMW C600 or C650GT. I plan to get a larger maxi scoot to add to my Jetmax. Though I might add that CFMoto have released a JetLux maxi (CF250T-8) which I will be starting a new thread on shortly complete with photos. Seen one in the flesh, sat on it, took photos of it... and they're MSRP CNY18800, CNY1000 more than the Jetmax. Both are different maxi scoots though.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 12-26-2011 at 04:28 PM.

9. #9 Re: Shanghai Huageng launches Peugeot scooter line 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    [...]

Has anyone been by the shop to have a look?

cheers
    Yes.

U'll fin the following Peugeot scooters there:

- 49cc I dunno much about, u can't put a yellow plate on those, must be a blue plate coz under 50cc.

- 80cc Kisbee scooter (bought one there in December), 7300 RMB (red one on OP's picture), decent & reliable commuter, 70 kph max, brakes are set so it feels like u got ABS, didn't try emergency braking on wet surface tho. It kind of bounces back if u lean too much, so to lowside it u'll really have to ask for it, can take 3 people without complaining, nothing wrong to say about it after 1500km.

- 125cc Vivacity (black one on OP's picture, white one also) is kinda 60's styled, has 2 truncks; one in front can hold a jet helmet, and a regular under seat one can hold a full face helmet (and more), that's a cool feature, I didn't know about this, and was looking for the smallest thing I could get, to beat traffic easy.
    I regret a bit I didn't take this one now, since it was only little more, 11000 RMB (before bargain), and almost the same size, only longer, width is the same.
    That front trunck and 45cc more are worth 3500 more I say, even if u're looking for a tiny commuter.

- 200cc (19hp ?) coming in April (shop owner said), for a bit north of 20K RMB, sounds like a good bargain, but looks real fat...

- I remember some talk about a 400cc, but the price was deceivingly high, and I forgot details about availability, sory.

He also has some Yamaha 125 cc scoots (RMB 12 or 13K, kinda ugly & fat but certainly reliable) and Chinese motos between 8000 RMB = 125cc and 12/13000 RMB = 150 cc, 26K will get you a Yamaha YBR 250 (none in shop but can bring one in a week), the top of his moto line. Didn't see any peugeot branded moto, but it may be the Qingqi ones I just mentionned as being "Chinese".

Kymco 250 cc scoots could be purchased but price was so high I forgot it instantly.

- - -

They called me (twice) but I didn't answer coz didn't know that number, then when I came back to the shop they told me plate owner wanted 5K more of his plate than initially conveined, I was a bit taken hostage coz they had invited me to take & pay for the scooter 2 weeks earlier without the plate...

If u buy a plate at the same time, make sure the plate is on the bike before u take it (or maybe just make sure u answer when they call)...

Peace.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

10. #10 Re: Shanghai Huageng launches Peugeot scooter line 
    Kisbee 100 cc is available since a couple months.

And now he also imports the 200cc from France, for 27K...
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens