Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Registration

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Registration 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi everyone,

First of all I dont know if this post belongs here so please forgive if it doesnt. I just wanted to know the procedures for registering a bike in Beijing. Im being offered a Honda 400 CC vtwin cruiser from Guangzhou and I was wondering if its posible to register it in Beijing. I dont mind if its plate A or B.

Thanks ahead

2. #2 Re: Registration 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Firstly you should ask the seller if it will come with all the legal documents to enable you to get legal BJ plates, since GZ is well known for being part of the silk road into China for black market motorcycles. Just a heads up on that.

Tthe items that the bike should come with must include an official fapio, manufacturers spec sheet, qualification certificate, and if an imported vehcile then a whole host of documents that a local bike doesn't have, to enable you to get a legal license plate with the exact same details as the bike you are buying. Documents required and the procedures may differ between a new bike versus a used/second hand bike too.

If you are a complete novice to buying a motorcycle in China, may I suggest you spend some time reading the various threads that deal with this here on MCM (and elsewhere by using a search engine like yahoo/google etc.).

If you're prepared to look around, and are open to a few different types of rides, then look at buying new from a dealer... I can tell you that if you're into mid to bigger capacity motorcycles, then there are a few legal options from Chinese manufacturers, and I can tell you that I've had a few good rides from CFMoto and have a Jetmax that has done 37000km without any major issues, though I have added lots of farkles to make it what I want. CFMoto also manufacture a 650NK 650cc naked road bike and are taking orders for the new 650TR (touring model) being released after the Chinese New Year. Check out CFMotoClub

Good luck in your search, but just be careful.... very careful... alot of the Taobao motorcycle 'dealers' will tell you anything to get your money!

3. #3 Re: Registration 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    i don't think you can get anything above 200cc registered..?
    DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)

4. #4 Re: Registration 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekkicore View Post
    i don't think you can get anything above 200cc registered..?
    Absolutely not true in the slightest, you are definately misinformed. For imported motorcycles then the requirements are involved and costly... duties, taxes and approval. BMW, HD, Ducati, Benelli, Piaggio even Suzuki and Honda all import large displacement motos >250cc into China. A private person may also import a new motorcycle though there are restrictions e.g. no parallel importing of a new motorcycle already sold in China, used/second hand motorcycles are now excluded. Though it is possible to do so can be complicated, costly and must get prior approval from relevant authorities, and the person needs to have the right visa, employment type and even approval of the employer etc. As for locally manufactured motorcycles, only a few motorcycle manufacturers have the necessary certificates etc needed to legally manufacture >249cc and sell them inside China. Do some digging on this and other Chinese motorcycling websites/forums (many in Chinese) and you can find the info. Jialing (though you may want to read some of the threads about some stalling issues), Loncin, CFMoto all manufacture 600cc + motorcycles in China for domestic sale.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 01-21-2012 at 01:58 AM.

5. #5 Re: Registration 
    STILL AMIDST THE TRAFFIC. Ekkicore's Avatar
    what i said was not inclusive of imported bikes (since we're on my CHINA moto). also, after 国三 i thought it went from 250cc to 200cc?
    DJ | Promoter | Photographer
    my photography on Flickr.com

QJiang 钱江龙 QJ150-19a (AKA SQUEAZEL?!)

6. #6 Re: Registration 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekkicore View Post
    what i said was not inclusive of imported bikes (since we're on my CHINA moto). also, after 国三 i thought it went from 250cc to 200cc?
    Dear Ekki,

Current rules require that any bike being registered in China meet the China3 (国三) emissions standards, regardless of their displacement or country of origin. This will get even tougher when the China4 standards come into effect in the next year or two.

This is why all manufacturers are feeling such intense pressure to shift to electronic fuel injection, which, if done well
    *, can be far more efficient than carburetion.

Yes, there is a strong official bias against motorcycles in some, perhaps even most, cities in China. But I think it's safe to say that the restrictions on registration arise primarily from emissions controls, not an effort to ban bikes. The bans on bikes are not being executed through registration, but through zone restrictions in cities and limits on numbers of plates.

The fact that there are not many mid-displacement bikes that can be registered is because the manufacturers have dithered on meeting China3 standards. All the imported bikes meet these standards because the China3 standard is similar to the Euro standards that already are in place back home.

Finally, there seems to be a correlation between the price of a bike and the owners' willingness to comply with local registration requirements. Someone who spends 35-45k RMB for a Jialing JH600 or CMoto 650NK, or three to five times that much for a BMW, Ducati, Harley or Suzuki, is far less likely to run the risk of confiscation at a traffic stop, whereas those buying el cheapo farmers' bikes are far more willing to take their chances and ride without plates and spew sub-China3 emissions with impunity -- and to put the public and themselves at risk fleeing routine traffic checkpoints.

Hopefully in another year or two we'll have many more China3-compliant choices reflecting a wider range of displacements.

*If not done well, as with the pre-2011 Jialing JH600, you may have nice low emissions, but you'll be stalling dangerously all the time and getting a cold shoulder from the ex-military bureaucrats and party hacks who run state-owned Jialing. It's an open question whether the 2011 and later JH600s will start showing the same symptoms as they reach higher mileages.

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: Registration 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks to everyone about the info. I am starting to look for some of the chinese brands you have recommended me. Do they have dealers in Beijing or everything has to be delivered from their factories in Chognqing? If the latest is the case, does it come with the actual Beijing plates, or this must be taken care by the buyer of the motorcycle. Again sorry for my ingnorance in these matters, I may be talking nonsense here

8. #8 Re: Registration 
    Quote Originally Posted by gambitox View Post
    Thanks to everyone about the info. I am starting to look for some of the chinese brands you have recommended me. Do they have dealers in Beijing or everything has to be delivered from their factories in Chognqing? If the latest is the case, does it come with the actual Beijing plates, or this must be taken care by the buyer of the motorcycle. Again sorry for my ingnorance in these matters, I may be talking nonsense here
    I'd reply that "one size does not fit all" in other words, you need to do some exploring/reading and therefore discovery of posts on this website and you will start to unravel the answers that you seek.

It depends on what you want? If you want a 125-250cc moto, then go look at some local dealers, who I'm sure will help you part with your money. Don't have any expectations and then you might be pleasantly surprised. Who knows it is said that "pigs can fly" !!!

You'll likely need your passport with valid visa, residence registration, residence contract, valid Chinese drivers license with motorcycle endorsement (or someone with one), cash etc. You'll also need copies of whatever documents are required. The dealership worth anything that you purchase your moto from will likely help you get a plate, though you will likely have to be present for some or all of the necessary transactions (e.g. at the traffic police station).

If you are wanting a bigger displacement motorcycle, then that will be more challenging... at the moment the main brands building >250cc include Regal Raptor, Jilaing, CFmoto and Loncin, there maybe others but these are main players IMO. Check out some delaers and see what brands they carry on the shop floor, and if it's one of the aforementioned brands ask them about ordering something else from that brands lineup. When I wanted the Jetmax, I went to a local Suzuki dealer who carries other brands i.e CFMoto & asked them to order the Jetmax (ofcourse they knew nothing about it - but I did) so a few phone calls later by them to confirm availability, deposit paid and some weeks later I took delivery of said moto. You need to do some investigations of local dealerships.

Jialing you can order online, you pay up-front and the bike will be made to that order and is either yours to collect around a month later or shipped to you by prior arrangement. All the documents will be supplied that will be needed to get the vehicle license plate, but you will be on your own to obtain it. You could approach a motorcycle shop who will likely charge you a fee to assist. CFMoto sells both online through there Tmall shop on Taobao, and also through many brick and mortar dealerships some of which are just regular dealerships that offer multiple brands, and some newer exclusive CFMoto dealerships, plus every province has a principle distribution agent. Loncin you will need to check out, since they've not been so active in starting up dealerships.

Some or all of the aforementioned bikes maybe available through an applicable motorcycle dealer under a pre-order basis. You are going to need to do some searching and research yourself.

9. #9 Re: Registration 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks again for the info, I ve been looking round the posts, but there seems to be no fresh information about dealers of the CFmoto in Beijing nowadays. Could anyone give me a clue or where I can get the CFMoto 650 touring or the naked version that you recomended me above? How much would the price be for any of the two?

about the shop in Taobao, my chinese is not so good, but is it actual shops that advertise the moto or is it only individuals?

10. #10 Re: Registration 
    Quote Originally Posted by gambitox View Post
    Thanks again for the info, I ve been looking round the posts, but there seems to be no fresh information about dealers of the CFmoto in Beijing nowadays. Could anyone give me a clue or where I can get the CFMoto 650 touring or the naked version that you recomended me above? How much would the price be for any of the two?

about the shop in Taobao, my chinese is not so good, but is it actual shops that advertise the moto or is it only individuals?
    look at CFMOTO which has website choice in Chinese or English, but the English website doesn't have same content as the Chinese one which is for the mainland. On the Chinese website you can find lots of information, like dealers and distribution agents. You need to be able to read Chines though to use it. If you can't read Chinese then try using worldlingo or google translate or get a Chinese friend to help you. You might also like to check out CFMOTOCLUB which is a forum about all things CFMoto with lots of up to date info, again though it's a Chinese website in Chinese. If all else fails, get a Chinese speaking friend to call one of the numbers listed on the CFMoto website. It might take several attempts to get to who you need to be talking with, but ask for domestic sales.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast