Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: SKYTEAM

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. #51 Re: SKYTEAM 
    C-Moto Noob
    MJH, I am interested in importing a Chinese motor for a production motorcycle made here in the States. I am in an ongoing dialogue with the EPA, and realize any motor we choose to use would have to be tested in each application, eg. our specific make and model, but I was wondering if you knew of any good candidates to start with, or that have already stood up to the EPA testing. It is my understanding that Cleveland Motor Werks and Skyteam are both using Chinese Honda clone motors. From my online research and reading this thread, it seems that both companies have gotten those engines to meet EPA regulations. Is this true?

I am brand new to this forum, but I would love to continue this discussion either through pm's or email.

Thanks,
    Richard

2. #52 Re: SKYTEAM 
    I would say that the least costly way to do it would be to get the 2011 EPA list of conforming models.
    http://www.epa.gov/otaq/crttst.htm
    The 2012 list has not been released as of yet.

That is a text file and you can import it into a spread sheet…..you can find instruction online for doing that.

That has all the models that have been approved and also the names of the companies including the engine suppliers. Some of the manufacturers listed have test labs in the factories. Those that do should be able to configure a prototype that you can get approved and provide the data needed for an EPA application.

The EPA takes applications and those have to be submitted correctly. If you build the production models here then the related parts have to be identical to the approved prototype that was manufactured in China.

You could also buy any model here that has a certificate and reverse engineer it, then pay to a lab here to certify it.

These motorcycle engines are nearly all the same they mostly all use the same carburetors and likely the same catalytic elements in the exhaust and SAI devices and those could be sourced from china…..

I have to wonder what percentage of the list is “just say it is” when it actually is not? So you would have to understand the requirements and police who ever is testing the products.

Consider how many models have been approved out of china…allot.

There are 249cc V-twins that are a copy of a Yamaha, there are parallel 234cc twins a copy of a Honda, then the most common are 200-229cc singles copies of Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda. The most interesting is the DOHC-4 valve 249cc water cooled single which is a copy of a Honda.

That’s about all I can offer….

3. #53 Re: SKYTEAM 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks so much for the information. I will definitely follow up on your leads. I hope you don't mind if I bug you for more information in the future.

Best,
    Richard

4. #54 Re: SKYTEAM 
    There are multitude of companies with an EPA certificate, most being 200cc off-road/enduros with a sprinkling of 250cc street bikes. However, many of these companies are not necessarily the source of engine manufacturing as they source them from others (i.e. Lifan and Zongshen).

Skyteam does not have EPA cert. for anything larger than 125cc in the US, and as of now, are not planning to bring any larger engined bikes that they offer in other markets such as Europe (they have a very stout 223cc engine in some other markets). If you contact them, you might be able to convince them to manufacture engines for you, but you would have to be the manufacturer of record, which brings us to CCW. CCW are, in effect, manufacturers, so the engine they have manufactured for them is their own proprietary design, and is OEM'd by Lifan.

One company that seems to welcome people re-branding their bikes is Qingqi. As an example this bike happens to be a Qingqi-branded bike but I am sure would welcome cooperating with you http://www.jpmotorsports.com/pre_own...R0&veh=2382012 in supplying engines. If you have the means, it might be worth your while, as MJH suggested, to purchase one and reverse-engineer it, or at least the engine, since their 250 is already certified for the street and off-road in the US.

In fact, Qingqi OEMs for Suzuki's 250 and under engines, and this is one of them. They are not identical (for obvious reasons) but the engines are essentially Suzuki engineered (vs. Honda) is you wanted something a little different. The founder of this site, 'Crazy Carl' Parker has an indepth thread of his visit to Qingqi, and if you PM'd him, could probably help you get in contact with his old contacts there.

5. #55 Re: SKYTEAM 
    I spoke with SkyteamUSA earlier today since I had some flex time off from work. I wanted to know if they still carried the CT-70 clones, or if they were not allowed to since other companies sell them under their own brand names, such as Pitster Pro and SSR. The guy stated they had them, but only in yellow right now. I asked him about other products, such as the retro 125cc Honda Dream replica, and they are still waiting for final approval for the US.

I then asked about full-size bikes such as the 230 enduro/motard, or more importantly, the V-Raptor. The guy stated that they are activley discussing that particular bike. I said that that would sell very well here and would be worth the certification process for the US. Their T-Rex is currently out of stock right now, and the V-Raptor is pretty much a step up from that, so T-Rex selling out should be a good indicator of potential V-Raptor sales. I did drop the hint as to them offering the enduro/motard like they used to through United Motors.

6. #56 Re: SKYTEAM 
    Skyteam has a new model in the works, its being put together by Snake Motors.

7. #57 Re: SKYTEAM 
    They are also offering an electric version of the T-Rex

8. #58 Re: SKYTEAM 

9. #59 Re: SKYTEAM 
    Skyteam named the little electric an E MAX

They are offering these in the UK for $3,250.00, here is the link.

10. #60 Re: SKYTEAM 
    Somehow, these e-Daxes look like toys. I do not know whose these e-Wave clones, but they look a much more serious - http://www.chinae-vehicle.com/index....&a=view&id=294
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast