Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: SKYTEAM

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1. #91 Re: SKYTEAM 
    Jincheng really has been shrinking, they are being either hit very hard by the current conditions in the market or they are selling off production? It is not possible to determine what is happening, all of the industry is interconnected in degrees suppliers and assemblers. In theory a supplier could stop selling complete units and only sell components parts. Since there is such a high percentage of what is an industry standard, that being something everyone makes or a part everyone uses, then being a universal supplier does get an economy of scale through the volume of production. Special orders make prices go up, it takes an initial set up for production, so as a universal supplier flexibility and adaptability wins orders.

Each unit may have an OEM, then within it the parts also have OEM’s the control and accountability of the process from sources through assembly to distribution to retailing, it all has to me consistent.

In the first half of 2012 Jincheng lost 50% of its unit production, dropped from 300k to 150k, still a very large producer, but obviously if they are not utilizing that excess production capacity or have not sold it off they are a sinking ship.

Without any specialization and professional sales channels, they eventually just go away. The process is in some ways organic, it is very difficult to stop the downward slide once it begins, it becomes like a vacuum.

Beginning with simple and basic and adding to that each year, but in that process they have to build distribution, they have to embrace the channels as their own.

Sacin seems to have a decent process in place they need to refine it and also expand it, I simply believe that the vintage Honda models could do that for them. They also should consider eliminating the use of Skyteam as a brand as it is owned by an airline.

In managing the process they need to finitely document everything, the supply chain and technical specifications, because as products become more advanced it then becomes more imperative, much like learning to walk before you can run.

If an assembler is selling many motorcycles, then its suppliers need to be or have new offerings as well the suppliers need to be flexible and also have good research and development abilities. If an assembler has great sales channels then an engine supplier should work with them and take initiatives to offer to them what they need to progress and expand.

I can imagine a CMX250 engine in a retro version of a CB200T.

However before that they could offer some vintage models that would requires less effort and certainly cost less to bring to production and they are with the ACE 125, but they could and should go further and refine the marketing and branding around that effort. They can just add the Sacin brand and then eventually drop the Skyteam brand over time.
    Last edited by MJH; 12-25-2012 at 03:11 PM.

2. #92 Re: SKYTEAM 
    I think they should bring back the SL70 to the market with a 125cc horizontal engine and then follow up with a 125cc vertical version and also offer it with a 200cc OHC or even the 229cc OHV for North America.

3. #93 Re: SKYTEAM 
    According to Skyteam USA, when I spoke with one of the people there, they are working on getting the VRaptor with the 230cc engine certified. Don't know why they were insisting on the 125 Dream replica with the vertical 125 (as opposed to the horizontal one they offer already in the US) but I am guessing to keep up with the SYM Wolf and the CCW retros.

4. #94 Re: SKYTEAM 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    THAT is sooooo cool - love it.

My older cousin bought a brand new one (also red) back in the 60s, in Northern Canada (PA, SK). He was the coolest guy EVER riding around on that thing. But us little kids detracted from the "cool factor" so none of us ever got a ride. Fond memories!

Is that a restored one, or is someone making reproductions?

5. #95 Re: SKYTEAM 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Dear LJH,

Would love to see a picture of this Honda side-by-side with your Xingfu postal bike. In my mind's eye they are brothers, if not twins.

Merry Christmas
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #96 Re: SKYTEAM 
    Zorge posted that he thought that if they were to begin casting frames then better models to replicate would be Honda CA and CD types.
    The image is of a CA model.
    http://www.hondarenaissance.com/bikes/ca95.htm
    The CA came with a 150cc, there are Chinese 150cc twins and 233cc twins, but none of those have nice castings as the Honda from the 60’s did.

The CD were later models actually made into the 70’s those came as 175cc and 200cc twins, the later the 200 was made in the 1980’s and sold I believe only in India, the later CD do not have a stamped frame.

7. #97 Re: SKYTEAM 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    I am not sure but believe these are stamped.
    For some reason I fancy that model :o

250cc and it could be a deal.

8. #98 Re: SKYTEAM 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Mikko lives! Happy New Year!

Yeah, cool bike. Like the little Honda Trail 70 I so much envied, but never had, as a kid.

jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #99 Re: SKYTEAM 
    Hey Euphonius, nice to see you here! I finally graduated last year and have plans to renew my motorcycle enthusiasm. The Pony is waiting for next spring too and some maintenance.

This Skyteam thread made me to do some research about whereabouts of Skyteam in Finland. I was surprised to find they import Skyteam 125 EFI supermotos here now :o The price is very high though for a China bike. 3931 €.

http://www.motorpower.fi/kaksipyorai...ic_tr125sm.php

I am wondering how other brands in China are doing regarding EFI.

10. #100 Re: SKYTEAM 
    Thats a Generic or a KSR Moto by Generic they changed the name, they likely did not want to drop Generic right away and suffer any loss of recognition. I suspect eventually it will be only KSR Moto?

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast