Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Worst bike trip ever! Guangdong 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo View Post
    Hey at least you can celebrate Australia day with more beers.
    I'm thinking of celebrating Australia day with the quaint Aussie tradition of getting extremely drunk and then skiing down the local ski resort nude except for the Aussie flag draped around me.See what happens. Has warmed up to a balmy -18 now.
    G'Day,

Don't forget to listen to Tripple J Hot 100 during Aussie day......... works a treat via streaming.......

2. #12 Re: Worst bike trip ever! Guangdong 
    Where we left off, we'd all gone back to warm up at the hotel and escape the horrid cold... later at some or other hour at night I was woken up by the phone in the room ringing.. I ignored it and then heard the phone in Tom's room ringing (which he answered).. a moment later there was a drowsy knock on my door and Tom saying something about them wanting us to move our bikes...

Thing is, we'd chained our bikes up nicely in the alley under a roof and out of the rain.. This dozy security guard was insisting that we park them on the street in front of the hotel so that he could keep an eye on them (he'd be asleep the whole night anyway I'm sure). So after some half asleep deliberation we finally moved the bikes out of their nice cozy covered parking onto the wet pavement in front of the hotel (it wasn't raining at that moment).

Morning came and I was greeted by this sight:

[A biker's hotel room]

During the night I'd made a decision, after looking at the weather reports things were only going to get much worse, our destination was going to be basically days of raining (no sunshine as we'd hoped) and the temperature was going to keep dropping.. basically it was going to be an awful useless wet trip with nothing to look forward to other than dangerous slippery roads, crap weather and a whining/complaining Beer girl... I decided that I'd salvage what was left of my holiday and go back to Shenzhen the next day as at least the weather looked reasonable (10 Degrees C and semi-visible sun).

I let Tom know and he agreed, I met him early in the morning as he was going to head out at 8am and try to get to Yangjiang which was about 400kms away... only thing is he didn't leave at 8am.

[I love being prepared... Charge away little battery!]

Our bikes were soaked as it had rained through the night.. and Tom's bike wasn't starting, that was because he'd left his heated grips on and for whatever reason they'd been connected directly to the battery and not through the ignition.. (not a good plan), this caused them to completely drain his battery... good thing my CB has charging issues and I always carry a spare battery (it's a little smaller for carry convenience 5Ah rather than the usual 7Ah.. but does the trick), a bit of cold/wet morning bodging and Tom was on his way, I took his flat battery up to the room to charge on my fast charger (which I took along just in case).

About 2 hours later and after packing everything nicely we headed downstairs, while Beer girl was sorting out getting the deposit back from the hotel and generally faffing around as she does, I got the CB started... being out in the rain and cold didn't make her too cooperative (my choke lever is broken so I couldn't use the choke..) I eventually got her started by giving her a push start, and she looked more like a steam powered bike due to the cold, either way she was ready to be loaded up.

[This was the best the weather got the whole day]

[Coming up... the shortcut home]

3. #13 Re: Worst bike trip ever! Guangdong 
    I wanted to get this over with, the shortest and most direct route home was through a lot of small towns and cities (not what you want on a bike trip), but it was new year's day and so I expected the traffic to be light.. and I just wanted to get back... so I struck out, it was about 120KMS+- to get back home, as soon as we left Zengcheng we hit some of the most dreary, horrible sort of urban wasteland that you could ever imagine.. and the weather made it worse..

[Just about to leave Zengcheng... note the electrical tape holding my rev counter on]

Beer girl was very happy that we were heading back...

[Yes it was cold]

About 15mins ride out of Zengcheng....

[Dreary lifeless nonsense..]

[Suicide inducing scenery]

[At least a lot of the roads were new]

We stopped about an hour or so after riding to get a coffee and try to warm up a little.. we'd stopped somewhere on the outskirts of Dongguan somewhere along the S120...

[This is where Beer girl was sitting... you can see all the lovely mud and wetness thrown up from the road]

[I love my CB... nice from far, but far from nice]

While Beer girl got us a table and ordered us a table I got a text from Tom, he was already half way to his destination, apparently the roads had been boring and the weather was predictably shyte in that direction too.

[I still can't figure out how some Cantonese restaurants manage to make their coffee taste so shyte and bitter.... it was rubbish but warm. beer girl had some noodles and we were off again]

[We briefly stopped to put some air in the back tyre and watched some kids play with fireworks]

The riding was pretty rubbish but quick enough.. that is till we hit the S225.. that was awesome.. nice smooth roads and pretty much straight down into Shenzhen, there were a few police checkpoints, but they were all deserted due to it being new year, we sailed home without incident, threw the bags in the house and hopped back on the bike and I took Beer girl out for a proper coffee and a meal.. and that's when I started writing this report.

[In total 350kms.. the shortest and worst bike trip so far]

[Me with my CB]

Finally it was all over... however Tom was still out there, he stayed a day at Yangjiang then went straight to Zhuhai to stay with some friends, hopefully he'll write a report about what he came across during the next few days.

[Beer girl's reward]

End of RR

4. #14 Re: Worst bike trip ever! Guangdong 
    Part 2 video coming in about an hour!

5. #15 Re: Worst bike trip ever! Guangdong 
    Video:

Worst Trip Ever - Part 2

On Youku is SD (Shit Definition) for those of you in China

On Youtube HD for those lucky enough to have access

6. #16 Re: Worst bike trip ever! Guangdong 
    "In total 350kms.. the shortest and worst bike trip so far"
    I did 300km night riding for some occasions for your reference. Hehe.
    同志仍需努力

7. #17 Re: Worst bike trip ever! Guangdong 
    Shit buzz. I've had better road trips riding to work.

You'll appreciate it all the more next time you're carving down a dry, warm, sunny mountain!

8. #18 Re: Worst bike trip ever! Guangdong 
    Quote Originally Posted by td_ref View Post
    "In total 350kms.. the shortest and worst bike trip so far"
    I did 300km night riding for some occasions for your reference. Hehe.
    Yeah, that's why this is the worst bike trip ever.. usually we average 400kms a day at least...

9. #19 Re: Worst bike trip ever! Guangdong 
    Thanks for sharing your misery with us Serpentza . This is the first time since 2007 that I didn't go on a long CNY ride, I can't believe how shitty and cold it is this year .

Fear not, I'm sure the sweltering heat of southern China is just around the corner .

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #20 Re: Worst bike trip ever! Guangdong 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Thanks for sharing your misery with us Serpentza . This is the first time since 2007 that I didn't go on a long CNY ride, I can't believe how shitty and cold it is this year .

Fear not, I'm sure the sweltering heat of southern China is just around the corner .

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Yeah, and the worst part is that today it's sunny and hot.... I was hoping we would bump into you guys in Zengcheng, but I guess the weather had put an end to your enduro stuff too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast