Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 31 1231121 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    I'm pretty interested in this bike and cannot find very much info on it. So, here's what i've gathered so far and as we find out more maybe we can stick it in this thread.

Info from the dealer in xi'an:
    Price will be something between 39,000 and 46,000 RMB. He said that the price will be fixed in february depending on where the US dollar is at then.
    He claims that 60% of the engine parts are imported into china and assembled here. He doesn't know which parts.
    Warranty on engine and parts for 2 years or 50,000km, whichever comes first.
    6 of these bikes have already been ordered in xi'an and were supposed to arrive early january. They did not arrive. Now he says february.

I have high hopes for this bike but at the same time don't want to kid myself.
    The big plus is that it's a 'joint venture' bike and not just a copy of a japanese bike (like the CF650). Clearly Qjiang's acquisition of Benelli has brought something to the table, you can even see it in their smaller models. The details on this machine are superb for a chinabike.
    On the other hand it's their first attempt at building anything like this and it's a bit naive to imagine they're going to get it 100% right. So that always leads back to the big question: "can i count on it?" and then "if it breaks down, will the dealer know how handle it?". Here in xi'an the answer to the second is most likely no...

Here are a bunch of pics stolen from this thread on moto8.

I'm not great at weeding through the chinese forums and haven't found much useful info.

Here's a review by someone who rode it and is comparing to the Cfmoto CF650NK:
    http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/t_17213199_1.htm
    From what i can understand he's saying that it doesn't feel as powerful as the CF650NK but sounds better and is more comfortable.

This thread is 166 pages of guys asking how much it costs. I don't have the courage to read it...
    http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/t_17126695_40.htm

If anyone out there knows anything about this bike, i'd be happy to hear it! I'm seriously considering being the MCM guinea pig on this one, but it won't be til autumn i'm afraid.

Cheers!

2. #2 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    This makes me think it is already being offered for sale in China.
    http://motorcycle.sh.cn/t_17204632.htm $6,000 USD?

3. #3 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    They are also offering the DUE756, which is a CBU from Italy, its the 1130 engine less a cylinder.
    This is all the result of Qianjiang investing 26M USD in Benelli in 2005, they are introducing more models.

Last edited by MJH; 06-28-2012 at 02:52 AM.

4. #4 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    duplicate post....

5. #5 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    They have a Benelli BJ600GS here in Shanghai, ready to be tested (well, THAT is something in the first place ...).
    From how dirty the bike looked, it seems that at least there is much interest for it already :)

I did not ride the bike yet, but can only agree with you that the visual quality of the bike is much much higher then anything "chinese" I have seen before. And it looks damn good in overall design as well.
    If that extends to the quality of the material of the components they used, it should be a big step forward.

However, Italians motorbike manufacturers are not known for their highest quality, and if you are not able to do things yourself, all depends on your 'dealer'.
    With the bike a fairly complicated design (compact, 4 cylinder, all electronically controlled), that requires some knowledge.

If your delaer cannot provide that, and you can not do it yourself, you rather stay away from it.

My 2 cents ...

6. #6 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    I wonder how long until (or if) it will be registerable across China?
    I wonder where you will find a computer, and the know how, to sync 4 EFI throttle bodies? (Not everyone lives near Eric)
    I wonder where you will find tires, as no reputable tire brand has decent distribution in China. Do the Qjiang shops have mounting and balancing equipment?
    I wonder where you will find replacement parts for 60% of the bike that is imported? The industry can't even provide reliable parts distribution for domestic parts, and Italy is no saint when it comes to dealer parts support.
    I wonder who will have a complete valve shim set in stock, and the torque specs, for doing a proper valve adjustment?

Do you think there will be online parts diagrams, where you can select the parts you need to order? Or will they leave us sitting on Taobao with our wives, trying to send pictures over QQ, explaining what we need to an idiot on the other end that has never owned or ridden a decent motorcycle?

¥40,000 (+ taxes & registration) ain't cheap, and it's seems stupid to pay that kind of money if you still have to confront the above issues. Dealing with the Chinese motorcycle industry is like that bitch who broke your heart in high school... you knew she was going f*** you over, but lust is blind.... especially when it comes to motorcycles.

It's funny that the number one hit on Google for Qjiang/Benelli is a YouTube link, guess they didn't get the memo about that little firewall thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oXD7v7QT3Y

That said, I think it's a cool looking bike, and it's nice to see one of the large SOE companies in China making something sexy.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #7 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    I wonder how long until (or if) it will be registerable across China?
    I wonder where you will find a computer, and the know how, to sync 4 EFI throttle bodies? (Not everyone lives near Eric)
    I wonder where you will find tires, as no reputable tire brand has decent distribution in China. Do the Qjiang shops have mounting and balancing equipment?
    I wonder where you will find replacement parts for 60% of the bike that is imported? The industry can't even provide reliable parts distribution for domestic parts, and Italy is no saint when it comes to dealer parts support.
    I wonder who will have a complete valve shim set in stock, and the torque specs, for doing a proper valve adjustment?
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    If your dealer cannot provide that knowledge, and you can not do it yourself, you rather stay away from it.

Registrable - Yes. I forgot to mention that in the original post. That's why this bike is interesting.

Everything else - I'd love to be surprised but there's no way the dealer here can provide that kind of support. Their equipment level consists of a shoebox with a couple of adjustable spanners and a hammer. I have seen it.

You guys are correct, the only thing that will make this bike different from any other chinese bikes is after sales support. The odds of getting 'jialinged' are still pretty high. Although the fact that their warranty is much better gives hope.

I'll hang around at the dealer some more in the next couple of weeks and try to find out how much he actually knows.

Eric, if you ever go by that dealer and feel like stopping to get a test ride, please feel free to tell us what you think of it!

8. #8 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by 998S View Post
    They have a Benelli BJ600GS here in Shanghai, ready to be tested (well, THAT is something in the first place ...).
    From how dirty the bike looked, it seems that at least there is much interest for it already :)

Dear Eric,

Thanks for posting. Where did you see the QJiang/Benelli here in Shanghai? I'd love to check it out, interrogate the dealer on Felix's behalf, take a bunch of pictures, and maybe even get her out for a ride. (I'll wait till the rain stops.)

At the risk of sounding like a pollyanna, I think it's important that we now have three Chinese manufacturers making C3-compliant EFI bikes in this mid-displacement, and clearly looking at each other when doing their pricing. And if there's a growing buzz in the Chinese forums about these bikes, we may be witnessing the dawn of a legitimate, rational recreational motorcycle market here inside China. On the other hand, the makers of all three of these bikes -- the Chunfeng CF650NK, the Jialing JH600A and now the Benelli QJ600GS -- clearly see their main value in the export market, and it may be years yet before they give a flast flying fluck for the home market.

I have a vested interest in this, of course, and I've been expending some minor energy exploring an avenue to a certain boardroom in Chongqing, thinking -- again wearing pollyanna bonnet and fishnets -- that talking some sense at the top could yield some improvements. It's good to know I can now bend their m*litary/c*mmunist ears about a couple of competing steeds (assuming I can get to them)....

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #9 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    They are actually advertising inventory management positions, at least KSR is. But the support scenario will not change that much in Europe, their dealers are not likely to have mechanics that can tune that engine either. The same scenario in South America

Qjiang expells way too much energy on hoopla, the website is riddled with what comes off as, very unnecessary, unrelated and could even be equated to bad poetry. You people have already addressed their bizarre marketing images, the verbiage behind it is just as ridiculous.

That model should only be offered through certified Benelli dealers, in that it is not ready for China or China is not ready for it. The only markets that can support it are in Europe and North America, the need obviously is for supply chain development, management, technical training and certifications…if it exists it is keeping behind the scenes and since the bike is being initially offered on Alibaba it likely does not.

10. #10 Re: Qjiang QJ600GS / Benelli BJ600GS - rumors thread 
    I saw it at the Shanghai dealer in Pubei road, at the Regal Raptor shop.
    But I think it was just parked there for the holiday, as there was a sign on the Benelli shop referring to the testride on it.
    I still want to check out the Speedy shop, so might go there soon again, you might want to join in?

What I really like on this bike is the finesses in design.
    If you check the pictures posted, and you compare them to "local" bikes, then you see what I mean.
    Nice upside down forks, very stylish triples, modern turning lights, a very sexy shaped tank.
    But also nice designed foot-rests & gear pedal, radial front brakes (Brembo copied, but ok), and mostly nice hardware (bolts and nuts).

You also see that all bolts are marked, which means they are not just tight, but torques up according the required specification, now go tell Jialing about that ...
    If the rest of the bike is as good as what I can see from the outside, then I don't worry too much.

So it is just this dealer thing which most likely will hold back sales of the more rational people.
    But I don't think most local buyers will even give a thought about that ..
    I saw a brand new Porsche maintained in a shop worse then Xiao-Fan's yesterday, who cares .....

Page 1 of 31 1231121 ... LastLast